Cameronbherring's 100g tank build.

Cameronbherring

Hello,

I'm building my 100g reef to replace my 40g breeder. Which you can see my story of that in the welcome section. :) I bought this tank two weeks ago when my mom agreed to let me get it as long as I sell my 40g breeder. (I'm keeping the fish and coral though.) I picked up a blue tang and yellow last weekend from a local guy in Georgetown that was breaking down the tank and gave it to me for free. But they are currently in my 40g breeder... (Here come the tang police) so I started my cycling asap. I put in live rock that I bought from someone on ARC Tuesday. It was fully cured. I will also be putting in my rock from my old tank. Hopefully I will put all my rock in Saturday along with the fish and coral. PLEASE COMMENT IF THIS IS A GOOD IDEA OR NOT! My test say it's already fully cycled. I'm hoping to add a tang or two. (Any good suggestions) I will be updating as the tank progresses! :) Here are the details of my tank.

Tank: 100g 60x18x20

Overflow: HOB

Sump: 15g wet dry with small skimmer (Will need upgrading, please comment if you have one pretty cheap for sale)

Powerheads: 2 Jebao WP-40 Controllable pumps

Lighting: Fluval Sea Led 60in, BML 14000k 36in,

Heater: ViaAqua 300w post-3750-141411968717_thumb.jpgpost-3750-14141196988_thumb.jpgpost-3750-141411971048_thumb.jpgpost-3750-141411972531_thumb.jpg

I would put the live rock in. Thatd b fine but I wouldn't put the fish in yet. At the least itd take 2 weeks to go through a cycle but to be safe id wait 4 to 6 weeks before putting any livestock in. Ull go through a big algae bloom and all the sudden it will go away and in my opinion this is a good sign that the tank has went through its first good cycle. Im sure someone on here could back me up on that but I think its awesome to see such a young adult into the hobby as much as you are. Dont b afraid to ask questions. Theres much knowledge here in the forum. Im interested to see your tank in the near future

I setup a tank without sand and added fully cured and well established live rock that was never left out of the water and added livestock the next day with no issues. I had zoas, montis, digitata, gsp, mushrooms, bubble tip anemones, clownfish, a yellow tang and a wrasse.

75% of the water came from my 220 gallon display tank.

I never noticed a cycle but then again I didn't test the water a single time until I felt I needed to monitor the alkalinity and calcium levels.

I'm not necessarily saying you should follow in my footsteps. I knew the live rock had been in water and was VERY well established and covered in pink and purple coralline algae. But it definitely is possible to have a very quick cycle and to go from a new tank to being established all depends on the beneficial bacteria surving the journey into the next tank.

With that being said. I would wait at least a week or two if you can and test the water if you are unsure with a reliable test kit.

I moved all the rock and fish yesterday. All parameters are great! My yellow tang is loving the new tank! Everything is opening up and coming out... Except the blue tang... I'm a little bit worried but it did eat a couple flakes when I fed the tank. I'm really happy with my aquascape :)post-3750-141435399941_thumb.jpgpost-3750-141435401388_thumb.jpgpost-3750-141435403026_thumb.jpg

I started when I was 13 so I'm happy to see you doing so well and starting a build thread. Be thankful you didn't have to spend all of your hours in the public library studying outdated fish books like I did. The internet is a beautiful thing!

The Blue Hippo Tang is more sensitive to fluctuations in water chemistry than most other fish. Your rocks look fairly clean of growth so keep an eye on this one. Their metabolism is strong and they will need food everyday to maintain a strong immune system. Tie some seaweed to a rock and place it in the sand near the front of the tank so you can see if he's eating properly. It's better to feed a small amount of seaweed every day until established than to feed a large amount and leave uneaten food in there overnight. If you buy it at the Asian grocery store on N. Lamar then you can get a years supply for $6. If you see lethargy, slime deterioration, or wasting then I may move him back to the 40g breeder until the tank levels out. I feed my tangs seaweed 2-3 times a week and the rest of the time they eat mysis and formula two.

• 1 month later...

Long time since I updated. The ick took almost all my fish besides the damsel, six line wrasse, and the blue hippo. I started to add garlic and some Reef safe treatment and all has gone away. I still use garlic and the Meds sometimes just in case. I added a foxface, two clownfish, and a vlamingii tang. All super healthy and eating very well. Had some algae issues but cleared that up. Then I had sump problems. The pump and overflow isn't the same so it won't work unless I add water to it every day. Really annoying. Plus my sump is 10g which I need to upgrade but don't know how to DIY one. Besides that I reaquascaped and added 2-3 new corals.post-3750-141920058099_thumb.jpgpost-3750-141920059739_thumb.jpg

post-3750-141920062749_thumb.jpg

Might the need to add water daily simply be evaporation? I have a comparable water volume and lose over a gallon per day of evaporation. What return pump are you using. If your return pump is too powerful for your overflow, you will find yourself adding water until the display eventually overflows, just to keep your return chamber from running dry. More than just daily

• 1 month later...

Another Long Needed Update.

Here it goes:

I bought a new overflow that whenever the power goes off it stops the pump and overflow down so there is very little chance of overflow and i purchased an apex for Christmas! I set it all up on a wooden board and drilled it under the stand. I had a hard time setting up the wireless but I figured it out. I also added two clownfish. All of this happened back in December.

2015 has been stressful... I have had a constant green hair algae problem. I bought a reactor and about to set the up. I also changed the aquascape again so that it isn't a rock wall. While this is a nice aquascape, I think I prefer the rock wall. But I'm going to wait it out and see how it turns out. School, Basketball, and Family has gave me little time to work on the tank but I'm going to JUST KEEP SWIMMING. Excuse the pun right there [emoji23]. But seriously, it's been stressful. I hope this is the turn around part of my tank......... I added some pictures of the tank and fish. Some new, some old.

-Cameron

b926a477228d54684b689b3f21e4ed84.jpg9e61727cff62a61433a7675688a278f0.jpg4160a7fec60c860e2dbe59ee5197fa32.jpgf420e7254605f389efcd393c5684cffe.jpg5235431eca84f4c1fad5d742c768379a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cameron, tank is looking pretty good!

I'd take it easy on the stocking for a bit... I can almost guarantee that's why you have GHA and looking to add even more fish is just going to further your problems.

Let your tank balance out a bit and stabilize and I'm sure you'll have a less stressful 2015. Once it has stabilized, you can stock again but stock slowly and let your system adjust to it before adding more.

I just don't want you to end up going too fast and crashing your tank multiple times and losing a bunch of fish. It's a quick way to get discouraged in the hobby and not end up being as enjoyable as it could be.

95bc6b47942753be1e4d93c2be761079.jpg3455a58c1d5ef056cd4ea256edd61e66.jpgff5decc942a841428780ac9850ddede3.jpg

Added my dual reactor down in the sump. Was really easy to install. Also, I set up the autofeeder so I don't have to worry about feeding the flakes everyday when I'm at my other parents house. So that's a huge plus. It's feeding twice a day. One Rotation a feeding, one at 12pm and one at 6pm. I accidently spilled food in tank when setting it up when the lid fell off since I didn't put it tight enough... Opppsssss. It was about a whole feeding when the lights were off. ;( but I'll vacuum it out over the weekend during my water change. The corals and fish are doing good besides the SPS corals not looking so good. Thanks everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a new sump (ESHOPPS R-200)for the bottom.... That wouldn't get into the bottom... We used a board and placed it under for support and knocked out the one in our way and the sump fit like a glove. Also got new skimmer (Bubble Magus 5) and the refugium will be set up soon. Algae is still growing but it slowly going away466476d38e3c4355dceea44bf562f33c.jpg

Archived