New pump for ATO

Manny

Hey guys. So I am looking at swapping the current, and highly unproductive, aqua lifter pump I have running my ATO. It just doesn't meet my needs. I absolutely cannot add kalk to my ATO because these pumps stop working. I am wondering what pumps would do a better job with the JBJ ATO. I don't want something to be too much for the ATO but still big enough to be able to push the clogs from the kalk right out. I know eventually the kalk will destroy the pump but I literally cannot even a smooth month of use with the aqua lifter when I use kalk in the ATO. I have been thinking about a maxi jet. Maybe the 600? This sound decent? Would the 1200 be too much for this purpose? Thanks in advance.

Probably out of your budget but the new Neptune pumps look to be game changers. I think they'll be out soon. I'd get another aqualifter and a kalkwasser reactor instead of a kalk worthy pump (which probably doesn't exist).

If you can, I would recommend switching to something like the Tunze kalk dispenser. It basically runs inline between your ATO container and the tank. They're pretty cheap if you can find a used one and you don't need to worry about the pump getting destroyed.

This is what I use in my ATO for dosing and works great. Has an adjustable flow rate down to ~<50gph and works great w' my JBJ ATO. Less than $50 and comes apart and cleans up real nice. Dependable and silent easy to get new shaft for replacement and lasts a long time. Have run mine for 14 months with no replacements. Just keep it above the slag line and only pump clear liquid.

Here is a link to Amazon but may find cheaper at other sites.

http://www.amazon.com/Sicce-Syncra-Aquarium-Pump-185gph/dp/B004ZJDN4W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1413900382&sr=8-7&keywords=sicce+pump+1.5

Archived