Venting via exhaust fan outside

FarmerTy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed! When can you start setting up the experiment? I will feed you all the Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwiches you can eat during your stay. Just tell the wife you're sampling in Corpus. snack.gif

I do agree with you, it wouldn't take more than 5-10 mins even at a low CFM to vent out the humidity. My lowest setting that I can select is 30 CFM and I can see that clearing out the humidity in no time at all. Since I already have the cart (or is it the horse?)... the vent fan arrived yesterday... I'll do an installed test and just see how the humidity and temperature react.

Jim, the volt meter is reading 115 volts going through the red line when it is connected... so I guess it does pass along the voltage. In that case, I assume the SSR you first linked would be the best option, correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it wasn't the news I was hoping to report but I found out it wasn't the SSR's fault... well, kind of... I should say.

First off, both SSRs are functioning to specs. The problem is they still pass a little current along even when it is not activated. For a scenario on my vent fan where only a connection needs to be made between the two red wires to engage high mode, the little bit of current leaked is enough to complete the circuit so toggling the modes will be impossible with the SSR.

What is confusing however is when I tested it with the 9-volt battery for the VDC source, and plugged up my 400-watt MH to test. The light came on immediately without activation of the SSR. I am still confused how that little bit of current leaking would be enough to trigger my 400-watt bulb to come on.

When I tested a small clip on fan in the same scenario, it would only activate when the VDC source was connected (9-volt battery). So, the SSR performed it's function.

For now, I'll just program the fan to come on for a couple of minutes every hour to vent any moisture and then turn on the entire time the lights are on.

I'm sure I'll think of something to use the two SSRs for, something I can program the Apex to run. I might aim to have one run my chiller independently because if I plug my chiller to either EB8, it'll max out the amp draw for them. Putting it on its own SSR being activated by my VDM ports should hopefully alleviate that but still give me Apex controllability.

Archived