Mp 10 replacement bearings

bige

Has anyone ever replaced the bearings on a mp 10? Mine sounded like a freight train driving through my living room. Couldn't hear the tv(ie the baby sitter). So I took it apart and have the bearings sitting here.

My question is do I have to replace them with the $33 a piece bearings from amazon or eBay? Or could I use the ones for RC helicopters. My friend in Houston used RC helicopter bearings that are stainless steel with a rubber side instead of ceramic. And only $12 for a pair. His is silent, better than original but it's only been 3 weeks. If they are better why didn't Eco tech use them?

Any suggestions?

The rubber on the bearings is likely just a seal to keep out dirt. The actual bearings will be ceramic or steel but the might have a plastic cage inside as well.

The ceramics make a bunch of noise on vortechs no matter the quality. You will want to get good ABEC-5 steel bearings for these. Size should be 7x14x5, but I believe that ecotech changed some internals between some editions of the MP10, so I would open it up and double check what's installed on the shaft.

These should be good ones: http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/2620/7x14x5-SMR147ZZ5

There's some good guides on nano reef and other forums that I would follow. Also, it's extremely easy to break the permanent magnet on the shaft when trying to remove the bearings. You can tape it or wrap it in something so it doesn't get chipped during the removal process.

Thanks for the info. Yes that inner magnet is very brittle. So you don't think the boca bearings for RC helicopters would work. They are stainless steel and look identical. Just half the price. When ever I diy something I try to look for equipment used for other purposes which can lead to a reduced price. But it doesn't always work out. I'm going to hobby town in a minute to look them over and see if there is any more info.

They should work if they're the correct size. Technically it doesn't matter what grade bearing you put in there, the lower grades are just more likely to wear out quicker. Definitely avoid the ceramics though. Everyone that tries them complains about the noise, but they're really expensive as well, so 2 reasons not to get them. One good thing about these types of motor setups is that there is very little axial load on the bearings. They are moving fast, but without the axial load, they should last for a decent amount of time no matter the grade.

So hobby town didn't have the right size. A local source would have been nice. They said the rubber covers are for maintenance. Which is why ours are metal because they are maintenance free. They said ceramic have less friction making them faster in RC use. But we want noise reduction which is where ss comes in. Thanks for your help jestep. I was actually going to pm you this question cause I knew you would be the one to know the answer. So thank you.

How do I measure the bearing? I'm getting a bigger measurement then what others have. Could just be me. Is it outside to outside? That's what I would assume. But no one online has showed the measurements I have gotten.

• 10 months later...

I just did this again. The bearing went out and I replaced it. It was even the same price. Took about 10 min to swap the old with new and it's dead silent again. I can't believe their new QD is any less noisy than this. Cause it makes no noise.

• 4 months later...

I am doing this after coming around a reef central thread. My bearings came in the mail Friday. I hope my mp40 vortechs are dead silent after they are done. One has been bad since the moment I got it. I lived overseas so didn't send it back. It sounded like a freight train when it revved up after about 2 years of use. The other steadily got a little louder over time. At this point, I think of the vortechs as the worst monetary investment I ever purchased in this hobby.

Hoping for silence... even though I ain't even using them on my current tiny tank. Just tinkering with equipment for my big tank on hold build.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 MP40QD's I bought new in May. One is completely silent and has been since new. The other dry side was replaced about a week after buying it and now the replacement dry side is whining just as the original about 6 months later. I too am questioning my $700 investment in these pumps. Fortunately they have excellent customer support.

Archived