Do You Know Where Your Aquarium Fish Come From?

BBMarlin

Hot topic at MACNA last year. With organizations like Sea Shepherd taking up the cause the issue is not likely to go away. They are relentless (see their impressive non-passive campaigns on A&E's show Whale Wars)

Not be too doom and gloom, one of the lectures at last years conference laid out an impressive case that importing coral is likely to be banned altogether in the next couple of years. For example, he said that several acropora species are to be added to the endangered species list. Once that happens it will be impossible for Fish and Wildlife inspectors to determine if an imported acro specimen is one of the banned species or one of the 100+ unregulated species. Based on precedent with other animals, the inspectors will simple not permit any acros to enter the country. Trade within the US and even right to possess acros could also be in jeopardy.

The author makes a great point about doing the research before getting into the hobby and trying to buy cultured, not wild caught coral and fish. I'm certainly guilty of buying frags and assuming that since it's a frag that it's been cut off a larger colony that's being cultured. I'm sure that's a horrible assumption. Same with fish. I don't think I've ever asked if one was captive bred or wild caught.

The author makes a great point about doing the research before getting into the hobby and trying to buy cultured, not wild caught coral and fish. I'm certainly guilty of buying frags and assuming that since it's a frag that it's been cut off a larger colony that's being cultured. I'm sure that's a horrible assumption. Same with fish. I don't think I've ever asked if one was captive bred or wild caught.

It's not always that cut and dried. Avoiding purchasing wild caught fish and corals can actually punish communities that are conscientious stewards of the fish the capture. Most of the cultured/propagation efforts focus on working with indigenous people to help them manage populations rather than decimating them, while still allowing them to support their communities. Sprung and Delbeek cover this topic in their The Reef Aquarium series.

That said, I'm still a sucker for propagated and cultured fish and livestock, I tend to find they are hardier on average.

Archived