360g (72x42x27) SPS Heaven

olaggie01

Hi everyone,

This will be my first big tank build. I have had tanks ranging from 10g to my current 150g tank. I have always wanted a large deep (width) tank and now that my 150g tank is starting to fill up, I figured what better time than now. I travel some for work but have started to cut back on travel so a big tank can be maintained.

My current tank is rimless but on a short stand, so you have to bend down to see the fish/corals. While I like the rimless look, I don’t like to bend down to see the tank. Another requirement will be a canopy. The tank is in my office (400sq ft) and having an open top and open sump/frag tank has caused some humidity issues. I have a good handle on it right now, but if I add another 200g to the system, I’m worried that I won’t be able to control it.

I have a few upfront questions and will get to them in a minute.

And now, for a little bit about the tank.

I bought a used 360g tank (72” x 42” x 30”) including sump, stand, canopy and all the equipment.

The tank was DIY with 1” PVC bottom and ¾” starfire glass on the three visible sides. The tank is currently rimless (but not sure if I will eurobrace or not). Two large external overflow boxes are currently removed as the back glass has developed a crack and was repaired. I will be adding 2 overflow (internal) boxes to the tank (and perhaps a tunze box).

The tank currently has 2 - 1" holes in the bottom along with a 2" hole in the center (used as a drain).

Lighting currently consists of 3x400w MH with 940w of T12 and 90w of LEDs on the large tank.

Equipment considered:

Deltec Calcium Reactor with Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser and pH meter

ATi Powercone 250is skimmer

Cadlights Biopellet Reactor (BR-2)

Bare bottom with 100g remote DSB

ATi Powermodule Hybrid with 8x54w T5s and 3x75w LED clusters.

2 - Tunze 6205s

2 - Jaebo WP40s

2 - Jaebo WP25s

3 mOcean rotating devices

Profilux with all the goodies

Remote sump / frag tank / water change station

Fish: (currently have)

3 yellow tangs

3 PJ cardinals

2 clowns

Melanarus Wrasse

Regal Angel

Blue Chromis

Questions:

1. What light do I use? I can gut the canopy and install my ATi PM in it (leaning towards this) and add supplemental light.

2. How to handle flow with the 42" depth. I would like to avoid putting any powerheads on the front glass (as I have now). I'm not opposed drilling the PVC bottom to put a CL in but I need to determine where to drill, etc.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, how do two guys move a 1000 lb tank down a steep driveway, drive it 30 miles and then into my garage?

Straps, come-alongs and stupidity.

Here is the tank coming out of the garage. It is on wheels and secured to the stand, so it makes it much easier to navigate.

IMG_1845_zps8d8df3c4.jpg

And down this hill and onto a trailer.

IMG_1846_zps4e3f562c.jpg

SUCCESS!!!

IMG_1847_zpsd4ffb146.jpg

On a tank that big, is there enough risk reduction benefit to using CL pipes through the substrate (e.g., in from the back, under the sand to the front of the tank) and popping out in the areas where you want flow? It would just freak me out to be punching a bunch of holes in the bottom of a tank if you dont absolutely have to.

As far as lights, I like the MH, but if i recall correctly youre an LED guy? Like the great DKR said, dance with who brung ya (and stick with LEDs).

This is a super exciting build!

After we loaded it up, we loaded up the canopy, and started bolting down the stand to the trailer, straping a piece of plwood to the tank and wrapping it in blankets, etc.

Loaded up the canopy (not an easy task either), hooked up my truck and off we went.

Ride went very smoothly, considering I could have been crushed if that tank broke loose.

Dale (former owner) helped me unload it at the house, which was almost as difficult as loading it. Got it back on the wheels and into the garage where it currently sits.

IMG_1849_zps4da3926c.jpg

I will need to finish off the stand and stain the canopy etc. I'll need to build a lift if I want to use the canopy

IMG_1861_zps1831b16b.jpg

On a tank that big, is there enough risk reduction benefit to using CL pipes through the substrate (e.g., in from the back, under the sand to the front of the tank) and popping out in the areas where you want flow? It would just freak me out to be punching a bunch of holes in the bottom of a tank if you dont absolutely have to.

As far as lights, I like the MH, but if i recall correctly youre an LED guy? Like the great DKR said, dance with who brung ya (and stick with LEDs).

This is a super exciting build!

I wouldn't say I'm an LED guy (but I do like them). I like LEDs with T5s or MHs. What worries me about the MHs is the 1200w of heat put into the canopy. My office is only 400 sq ft so that's a lot of extra heat. I can vent it into the attic and outside, but my ATi fixture runs much cooler.

Lucky this tank is a PVC bottom and is 1" thick, so I'm not worried about the structure. Once the bulkheads are fixed, then there shouldn't be much of an issue (not sure who I'm convincing here).

Once I get the tank into my office (I'll need to remove my current tank and move everything into the frag/sump), I'll get a better idea as I'll be able to use the Tunze / Jaebos that I currently have on my tank to see how much flow I can generate.

And I agree, super exciting build.

I'm stoked! I'll bring my snorkel and goggles for whenever you need to clean your glass!

Good thing a fellow reefer saved me from having to move this thing Sunday and made me work! Pheww... I mean, sorry I missed out bud!

ill be tagging along on this one for sure! can't wait to see this thing with water in it. excuse my randomness, but i can't resist asking, did dale live in a neighborhood off 620? ...that house across the street looks eerily familiar. if so, im going to humbled that i was within walking distance of such a marvelous tank and didn't know it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm stoked! I'll bring my snorkel and goggles for whenever you need to clean your glass!

Good thing a fellow reefer saved me from having to move this thing Sunday and made me work! Pheww... I mean, sorry I missed out bud!

No worries. Dale and I didn't need your skinny arms. You would have just supervised anyways. :)

ill be tagging along on this one for sure! can't wait to see this thing with water in it. excuse my randomness, but i can't resist asking, did dale live in a neighborhood off 620? ...that house across the street looks eerily familiar. if so, im going to humbled that i was within walking distance of such a marvelous tank and didn't know it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, he is off 620/Boulder in that neighborhood.

He had a great 180 setup a few years ago and then unfortunately lost everything to AEFWs when he moved to this tank.

Here are the current holes in the bottom. I'm going to build a pair of overflow around the two holes in the back (and probably drill out for 4 additional holes) and perhaps 2-4 in front of the 2" in the center.

My thoughts on the overflow boxes are to hold 3 drains and 2 returns. 2 of the drains will go to the sump, and 1 will go to the DSB below the tank. 1 of the returns will come from the sump and 1 from the DSB.

tank_holes_zps42e00b92.jpg

Plan is to mount 2 Tunze 6205s to 2 mOcean 3500s on the back center and then 2 - WP40s or WP60s on the overflow boxes (if they will support them).

tank_tunze_holes_zps689604a5.jpg

This is going to be awesome! You should put something in the next picture for scale just so people have an idea the size of this monstrosity! Can't wait for this to be online!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Wow looking forward to seeing this bad boy come together!!! That is a huge tank, are you planning on continuing the zeo on the new one?

Thanks Rob. I stopped running Zeo on my current tank. It worked well (now that I think back), but my PO4 reagents were bad so I was running ULNS and never new it. I took the stones off line but am still running most of the supplements.

Placed an order for an RLSS Waveline 12000 DC pump for the closed loop. Should be really neat to ramp up/down and create a nice chaotic flow in the tank with the tunze and the mOcean devices. Just need to get into the tank and drill out the holes and install the bulkheads/overflows and I should be set to start thinking about the move into my office.

Great build!! One of these days I need to make a trip and check out your ATI led/t5 system and tank. I've been thinking about that that light and would like to see it in action.

That tank is a monster.

Archived