BPB'S 90 GALLON SPS DOMINANT

Bpb

I definitely see some variation in yours. I’m just glad to be in the club! Gonna be hard to find more for the price I paid on this one. I won’t give a number but it was only 2 digits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I definitely see some variation in yours. I’m just glad to be in the club! Gonna be hard to find more for the price I paid on this one. I won’t give a number but it was only 2 digits

Say what? How long did you hold their dog hostage until they agreed to sell it at that price? That's a great find!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 8:12 PM, FarmerTy said:

Oh darn, I was going back and forth between the two and I guessed the wrong one.

My WWC Kung Pao
eac6ddd3e234826ed88da32ac12b7f28.jpg

My JF Beach Bum
b05c1b8a0f4f3477307ecbfc6262bfac.jpg

Any pics of the yellow one?

MMMM...love me some Kung Pao...and to top it off it won't go bad in the fridge!  🤣

• Like 2

Looking good Jonathan. I’m glad my 150g went to a great home. I can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I can’t wait too ha ha. No telling on when we will be moving though. We were really close and the thought of being so house poor made us rethink it and we are kind of back to the drawing board right now. I think if we will be in this house for another 4-5 years I will set the tank up, it it’ll be 1-2 I’ll just sit on it a while.

The real estate market here is too advantageous for sellers right now. And median property taxes are currently among the top 8% among all counties nation wide and they’re only going up. Cost of construction and taxes are outpacing our ability to save basically.

This will become easier when the vehicles are paid off and the kids are in school

At this point though I’m just trying to beautify my 90 gallon further. Paying much better attention to water quality lately and acquiring better acros.

• Like 1

I’ve been paying a bit more attention to water quality as of late after doing a lot of reading. I know it’s obvious that stable parameters are a given but I’ve paid more attention to feeding, waste control, and how they relate to light and alkalinity levels. I’ve been pretty happy with the results thus far.

It seems my scape is giving me fits on where to place new stuff. Parts of my scape are too vertical so I’ll have to epoxy bits of rubble here and there almost like a rock wall so I can start clearing some stuff off the frag rack

This one is getting prettier and prettier as tome goes by. Still some brown deep on the older branches. But as it ages and the nutrients stay lower it’s getting lots of nice surprising shades. It’s real leggy though despite getting lots of flow.

38db8a666a2f1a1fb0976d6cc74c4b42.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting color shift on this montipora over the last month or so.

5/5 - 6/1.

Losing a lot of it’s yellow and turning pink. I’ve heard they do this in high par and need much lower light levels to retain that banana yellow

9dafc099fe93f0c0a1a34f96b7a2fbfb.jpg

f5e2cd9f848229119a372b2ce875fb5e.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting color shift on this montipora over the last month or so.

5/5 - 6/1.

Losing a lot of it’s yellow and turning pink. I’ve heard they do this in high par and need much lower light levels to retain that banana yellow

9dafc099fe93f0c0a1a34f96b7a2fbfb.jpg

f5e2cd9f848229119a372b2ce875fb5e.jpg

Nice! That's a really cool color shift. Have any idea what par its at? My WWC Kung Pao is at 100-150 par, beaming yellow still with bright blue polyps. Yours looks so pretty I wouldn't mind dividing it as it gets bigger and putting half in higher par to have both color morphs.

No clue what the par is. I’ve still never par mapped the tank ha ha. At best I’m able to use various coral observations to at least get a ballpark of high medium and low. My red planet has zero green in it. Kung pow turning pink, ect

• Like 1

No clue what the par is. I’ve still never par mapped the tank ha ha. At best I’m able to use various coral observations to at least get a ballpark of high medium and low. My red planet has zero green in it. Kung pow turning pink, ect

You have failed me Jonathan. You are like a lighting expert man! No par readings? [emoji51][emoji12]

You have failed me Jonathan. You are like a lighting expert man! No par readings? [emoji51][emoji12]

I know right? It’s so hard for me to pony up the money for a par meter! It’s not that I can’t afford one it’s just that I seem to want something else more. I need to suck it up and at least get a seneye which I hear reads within about 10% what the apogee 500 series does, which is good enough for me. A difference between 350-400 micromol is negligible to me when it comes to accuracy

• Like 1

Couple others cooking on the frag rack that are really coming around. I’ve got a battlebox on the way in one month so these will come off the rack just before that gets here

627ec38d775c87557d5fbba79f9bd9c1.jpg

9511f9cd476124c78a4fb087a663cda2.jpg

ff621c2c068f743a763a88908bda6c3b.jpg

Thanks man! Beats me. It’s a tenuis I know that much. Was a rando from Facebook. The guy named it himself so in my book it’s nameless. The colony had the same kind of green base with purple tips and a little pink here and there. Green/yellow polyps depending on location. Similar to some of the high dollar homewrecker/Walt Disney’s out there but at 1/10 the price. It bleached 100% in transit but is really coming back around.

TLDR: its a no namer tenuis

• Like 1

These are the pics the seller messaged me

First is mother colony
a8e81a3483546a98583130e288d5b097.jpg

Second is this specific frag immediately after cutting
65fb1f6c08339e3296f55ad2b9d53c1c.jpg

Here it is literally the second I pulled it out of the bag and plopped it on the frag rack. One month ago today 5/4
f50225b79e94659a191427be17ac6768.jpg

And a repeat one month later 6/4
74746944bb8d379073df4d4020e23d8f.jpg

You can see I lost a tiny bit of the base which is ok. It isn’t STN’ing on me or anything and has zero pests. Just had a really rough trip as you can see.

Seller was running GHL mitras, all blue and violet for most the day with a little 2 hour pop at 9000k setting in the middle of the day he said to me.

I’m running t5 so obviously it’ll look a little different for me. That’s ok. I was smitten with that mother colony though and had to have a piece. I won’t be coming up with a silly name for it.

Well this is just perfect. Purchase date 11/2015 Tunze motor just went kaput. Pump is clean. Power supply still lights up. But nothing. Propeller won’t spin. Not on the native controller, nor on apex. I know everyone raves about their customer service (anyone have a contact email? Or phone?), but 2.5 years for a pump of this “caliber” is kind of disappointing. Considering how I still have a couple 1st generation jebaos (missing mounting brackets and magnets) that are still running fine. What a bummer.

I’m down to one tunze 6105 so I just cranked it up and am running it at 100% shooting straight across. I’ll have to deal with laminar flow for a week till the replacements arrive. I won’t pay to replace tunzes every 2 years. They’re not cheap enough for that. Have a couple jebao OW-40 on the way. Will likely order a second pair and just rotate them every month or so in order to keep them cleaner. No more on/off either. I feel like that reduces motor life.

I know the math is done to death, but 4 jebao ow-40 = one tunze 6105 cost wise. And one MP40 is 5.7x the cost of on jebao ow40. I had an mp40 magnet swell and crumble after a couple years, a sicce impeller burst, and now a tunze motor fail. I clearly am oddly attracting lemons. At any rate. I’m not getting what I pay for.

If I have to replace a component every 2 years I’d prefer it cost $70 rather than $300-400

• Like 1

Well this is just perfect. Purchase date 11/2015 Tunze motor just went kaput. Pump is clean. Power supply still lights up. But nothing. Propeller won’t spin. Not on the native controller, nor on apex. I know everyone raves about their customer service (anyone have a contact email? Or phone?), but 2.5 years for a pump of this “caliber” is kind of disappointing. Considering how I still have a couple 1st generation jebaos (missing mounting brackets and magnets) that are still running fine. What a bummer.

I’m down to one tunze 6105 so I just cranked it up and am running it at 100% shooting straight across. I’ll have to deal with laminar flow for a week till the replacements arrive. I won’t pay to replace tunzes every 2 years. They’re not cheap enough for that. Have a couple jebao OW-40 on the way. Will likely order a second pair and just rotate them every month or so in order to keep them cleaner. No more on/off either. I feel like that reduces motor life.

I know the math is done to death, but 4 jebao ow-40 = one tunze 6105 cost wise. And one MP40 is 5.7x the cost of on jebao ow40. I had an mp40 magnet swell and crumble after a couple years, a sicce impeller burst, and now a tunze motor fail. I clearly am oddly attracting lemons. At any rate. I’m not getting what I pay for.

If I have to replace a component every 2 years I’d prefer it cost $70 rather than $300-400

You sound like you have my luck with equipment! Sorry to hear that man, that's super frustrating. For me it seems like no matter what I buy, it's going to crap out in a year or two.

You sound like you have my luck with equipment! Sorry to hear that man, that's super frustrating. For me it seems like no matter what I buy, it's going to crap out in a year or two.

I know it man! I’m just waiting on my lights to die ha ha

I’ve got some friends that just keep saying over and over “just go big get vortechs man!” But I’m so gun shy

They just dont build stuff to last any more. I guess they figure every ones got money, so they will just buy new when the old breaks. Example: I took my new MP60's apart just to see how they worked, Ended up placing spacers inside to help rid the things of slop. Im sure I voided the warranty.  If I had  a proper machine shop i could rebuild it to last a long time. If a crankshaft on a car had that much slop, you prob could not even drive it out of the showroom.

• Like 1

They just dont build stuff to last any more. I guess they figure every ones got money, so they will just buy new when the old breaks. Example: I took my new MP60's apart just to see how they worked, Ended up placing spacers inside to help rid the things of slop. Im sure I voided the warranty.  If I had  a proper machine shop i could rebuild it to last a long time. If a crankshaft on a car had that much slop, you prob could not even drive it out of the showroom.

Lately I’ve been thinking to myself “where can I find some old school AC tunzes? You know the ones people tout as running without a hiccup for 25 years without a single cleaning or impeller replacement. I’d gladly forego all the modern niceties of programming if it meant they would just work all the time and never fail.

I’m the literal antithesis of the whole idea of “I want to stay in the know on every brand new product and device and constantly rotate out the newest of everything and change my “method” every couple months based on some new idea” type reefer.

The most valuable gear one can have is the gear you forget about. I truly believe that. I don’t care how neat something is. I want it to work faithfully for a decade or more. With little to no input from me. I don’t want to see it, hear it, touch it, mess with it. Just work. I’m fine with being 4-5 generations back on any particular make or model. Just work please

22 minutes ago, Bpb said:

I’m the literal antithesis of the whole idea of “I want to stay in the know on every brand new product and device and constantly rotate out the newest of everything and change my “method” every couple months based on some new idea” type reefer.

I know exactly .......I used to be on the cutting edge. Apple beta tester and all that stuff. Finally one day I too got tired of "cuttin edge' and went for "workablity". Now I dont have to threaten my computer with a hammer. Its just works. Maybe its old but at least I can get stuff done.

3911954d1d732a4397cdbad94c923560.jpg

Just got this one yesterday. Documenting how the color progresses. Part of me likes getting slightly bleached specimens. Partially for the challenge, partially for the surprise of what it’ll turn into. No idea what species it is. I understand it to be a teal colored thick branched stag of some sort.

Couple more top downs. Generally happy with color. Growth is leaving a lot to be desired. For how stable my alk is and my nutrient levels I expect a lot faster growth.

5f76766267bb8b87f14ba5ea00e6cf92.jpg
a570a56b29c3a3f58c069a2d9a9b6c16.jpg
d0580ec98a86a55fc2b14b7d47b2becf.jpg
0a4502e4c040938774f2b25cc56a1cca.jpg

This one is interesting. Purple and purple can be, and it has grown almost none in 2 years. Barely covered the plug
d3f035d03de5ac0a1e76694939500bc9.jpg

288e281ed94a64d60c3a0a4dc3266bb1.jpg

• Like 4