BPB'S 90 GALLON SPS DOMINANT

Bpb

awesome work BPB! glad to see your tank successful after all the hard work.
You still doing CPs? Terraforums has been dead for a while, lot of the regulars have moved on. I abandoned the outdoor bog and am doing a highland tank build now, if your interested I'm tracking it on FlyTrapCare forums!
Sorry to hijack. Keep up the good work.

No problem at all! I’ll check you out on fly trap. My CP’s all went belly up this summer with the rest of my plants unfortunately. Broke down my planted tank as well. Two toddlers has served to be a bit much for me to manage along with multiple hobbies. Downsized just to the one reef tank and that’s it. I do intend to revisit CP’s as soon as things chill out a bit though. I think part of my waning interest in that hobby was a lack of a truly teeming online community for it. You can spend all day wasting time between 5-6 reef forums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Took a few new top downs. Lol my tank is so boring compared to yalls. I never get anything new. Just tracking my own growth on my dozen or so specimens

3c3d6d197f89450051dcc5613f6a6ec5.jpg
e7481806caa8b70dd6cbacdabb853dcb.jpg
ec99be198b4a70036ca22089f2bbc517.jpg
f6919e52fe2de82f29c8b6ef9a65ee37.jpg
9d1d8d8a0358a6e9e71966cb28085b44.jpg
6276f14321576bb05533e96e02f0514c.jpg
908644b85f6f56c4a53843ee8d78be7b.jpg

I seem to be the only person on the planet that cannot grow green slimer. Six plus months. Nothing. Just stays the same.

• Like 2

Love the variety!

Thanks. Very very happy with the colors of about half the specimens. The other half that I’m not showing off just tend to stay an olive brown/drab color and aren’t doing much besides growing. Maybe it’s just not in the genetics. They can’t all be confetti I guess

• 1 month later...

I’m still here!

Been a while since I’ve gotten anything new. Still have all the same old stuff.

I’ve gotta get this out. I hate GFO. There. I said it. The reactor is annoying. My sump isn’t built to run one easily. Stand too crammed. Takes an hour to remove it and clean it every few weeks. Clogs too fast. Not much to like about it. So....I haven’t been using it. And my PO4 slowly crept up to 0.17 ppm before I decided to act. I’ve given Lanthanum Chloride a try in the form of Phosphate RX dripped into a 10 micron sock. Good lord almighty this is so much easier than GFO. One week in. And I’ve been able to slam my phosphates down to 0.05 ppm. I think I’ve got some bound up in the rocks because it took quite a bit before it started working. I’ll continue to test every couple days and drip it as necessary. Definitely sticking with this PO4 control method.

Colors and growth are excellent. Calcium reactor really chewing through media. I’ve gone through roughly 1/3 of my full to capacity GEO 618 reactor in just 6 months. Can’t imagine going back to 2 part at this rate.

Loving the new bulb combo. I just need to continue to love it and stop changing it.

Big big news coming tomorrow hopefully. I’ll update again when I’m able!

• Like 2

Oh, a mystery!  My favorite!

680b0d86c40e29ffd1ea76b70b9e4530.jpg

So I’ve happened upon this big guy! Didn’t have time to get the stand (would take multiple trips and didn’t have the help I needed) but I got the tank and sump home. Never owned anything this size but I’m already loving the depth compared to what I’m used to. It’s fairly new but freshly drained so there’s detritus and tube worm skeletons all over. Gotta get it cleaned up!

• Like 4

680b0d86c40e29ffd1ea76b70b9e4530.jpg

So I’ve happened upon this big guy! Didn’t have time to get the stand (would take multiple trips and didn’t have the help I needed) but I got the tank and sump home. Never owned anything this size but I’m already loving the depth compared to what I’m used to. It’s fairly new but freshly drained so there’s detritus and tube worm skeletons all over. Gotta get it cleaned up!

Woohoo! New house, new tank! What size are we looking at?

New house hopefully before too long. Learned a lot about what we can afford and what we need so it has adjusted our search a bit. Hopefully within the year though. Looking like we will be moving into a move in ready or older house rather than a custom build. Pricing in this area is ridiculous (similar to Austin actually) for custom builds so we have basically bowed out of that dance.

Anyhow. Came across a deal I absolutely couldn’t refuse on this tank so I jumped on it. It’ll sit in the garage until we move though. I’ve never moved a tank this size and it was brutally heavy and challenging to do without suction cups and only 2 people. I don’t want to set it up only to have to drain it a year later. What a pain. I’ll give it a good cleaning though.

The stand is coming too but I have to wait till Monday to get that. Going to sand it down and refinish it.

Tank is a sca 150 gallon with sump and plumbing. Stand is coming on Monday. Ran out of time and moving help so I’ll have to go back for it but I’m stoked! I’ve been feeling so cramped with this 18” depth. Glad to get some leg room in the tank finally. Allow me to do something besides a rock wall

I actually already have my rocks for this tank as well as 10 pounds of eMarco cement which I will take my time building. Going for a very open Tonga shelf scape with very Little Rock touching the substrate and leaving room in front and behind to maximize flow. Doing all dry rock start and dosing a ton of bacteria for a quick cycle. So sick of aiptasia and discosoma mushrooms. I’ll be glad to be done with them forever!

• Like 2

New house hopefully before too long. Learned a lot about what we can afford and what we need so it has adjusted our search a bit. Hopefully within the year though. Looking like we will be moving into a move in ready or older house rather than a custom build. Pricing in this area is ridiculous (similar to Austin actually) for custom builds so we have basically bowed out of that dance.

Anyhow. Came across a deal I absolutely couldn’t refuse on this tank so I jumped on it. It’ll sit in the garage until we move though. I’ve never moved a tank this size and it was brutally heavy and challenging to do without suction cups and only 2 people. I don’t want to set it up only to have to drain it a year later. What a pain. I’ll give it a good cleaning though.

The stand is coming too but I have to wait till Monday to get that. Going to sand it down and refinish it.

Tank is a sca 150 gallon with sump and plumbing. Stand is coming on Monday. Ran out of time and moving help so I’ll have to go back for it but I’m stoked! I’ve been feeling so cramped with this 18” depth. Glad to get some leg room in the tank finally. Allow me to do something besides a rock wall

I actually already have my rocks for this tank as well as 10 pounds of eMarco cement which I will take my time building. Going for a very open Tonga shelf scape with very Little Rock touching the substrate and leaving room in front and behind to maximize flow. Doing all dry rock start and dosing a ton of bacteria for a quick cycle. So sick of aiptasia and discosoma mushrooms. I’ll be glad to be done with them forever!

I'm jealous. Been wanting to do an open Tonga structure as well for a long time now but the last move was a quick one with a new baby so I didnt have the time to make that happen.

That's a sweet new tank!

Thanks man. There’s a guy that had probably 150-200 pounds of Tonga shelf and otherwise flat-ish plate types pieces. All very light and porous. Almost like plate shaped pukani. Crashed his 300 gallon tank and pulled all the rock. Drove 10 houses down and got the pick of the litter so I’ll take my time making it look good. Thinking I may go with HDPE 1/2” boards on the bottom so I can basically have the rock touching at only a couple small points rather than creating a base rock foundation. I feel like that will be better for long term health and detritus control. I don’t want to do a pvc structure or anything like that. But basically have upside pyramid shaped rocks cemented to the bottom of each stack to have only 3-4 small points touching and essentially have the rocks all elevated 1-2” off the sandbed. Sams Club chef cutting boards are 20”x18” food grade HDPE and only $8 a piece. Though I feel like bald sand spots would look ridiculous with a big chunk of white plastic exposed

Thanks man. There’s a guy that had probably 150-200 pounds of Tonga shelf and otherwise flat-ish plate types pieces. All very light and porous. Almost like plate shaped pukani. Crashed his 300 gallon tank and pulled all the rock. Drove 10 houses down and got the pick of the litter so I’ll take my time making it look good. Thinking I may go with HDPE 1/2” boards on the bottom so I can basically have the rock touching at only a couple small points rather than creating a base rock foundation. I feel like that will be better for long term health and detritus control. I don’t want to do a pvc structure or anything like that. But basically have upside pyramid shaped rocks cemented to the bottom of each stack to have only 3-4 small points touching and essentially have the rocks all elevated 1-2” off the sandbed. Sams Club chef cutting boards are 20”x18” food grade HDPE and only $8 a piece. Though I feel like bald sand spots would look ridiculous with a big chunk of white plastic exposed

I want to see it in action so I can plagiarize your scape! Don't worry, the white plastic will be covered in coralline in no time!

Nice new tank! That green bubble coral in your last photo update is gorgeous! I've always loved green bubble corals and you have a gorgeous mature one there! Glad to hear you're having better success with your PO4 control, I may experiment with that strategy of reduction in the future to give it a try.

Thanks! Gonna be sad to see that one go. Bubble coral was the first coral I saw before I was even in the hobby that caught my eye and had to have one eventually. It’s grown quite a bit but it’s all flesh. It inflates about 10” across but the skeleton is the size of a golf ball

I'm back in the B/CS area. Let me know if you need any help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm back in the B/CS area. Let me know if you need any help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dude! I was just wondering how you and your fam were doing the other day. PM me your number I’ll shoot you a text

• 1 month later...

Wwc Kung pow. Same species. Close enough on color depending on your lighting. Have a few more new ones on the rack that are recovering from shipping. The monti I am most excited about. A yellow rainbow palawanensis regardless of specific name has been a bucket list coral for me

• Like 1

And forgive the less than perfect colors. Pic taken about 5 minutes after it came out of the bag from being shipped across country

• Like 1

The yellow is the Kung pow. I’d have been happy with beach bum, rainbow Phoenix, or any of the other ones that look almost identical is what I really meant. They’re all kind of a yellow base rainbow color. Some a little more peach some more orange on the rim. They look so similar I really don’t think you can go wrong with any.

• Like 1

The yellow is the Kung pow. I’d have been happy with beach bum, rainbow Phoenix, or any of the other ones that look almost identical is what I really meant. They’re all kind of a yellow base rainbow color. Some a little more peach some more orange on the rim. They look so similar I really don’t think you can go wrong with any.

Ignore me... I can't even identify the correct monti and can't even read well enough to understand which yellow monti you are talking about. I need to just go to bed and reset for tomorrow.
  • Like 1

Ha! Oh I’m sure I’ll start nit picking the differences and hunting down a rainbow Phoenix at some point. Maybe settle for an apple berry when I order my battle box

• Like 1

Ha! Oh I’m sure I’ll start nit picking the differences and hunting down a rainbow Phoenix at some point. Maybe settle for an apple berry when I order my battle box

I like my spread so far... Everything looks different enough that I don't feel like I got the same one of anything that's just been named different names by vendors.