New and need all the learning I can get!

jake112005

Hi everyone,

I just started the saltwater hobby about 6 months ago to take free time that I have found myself having too much of now that I am 100% disabled from the Army. I started my saltwater adventure in a 30gal that I had around the house. I shortly upgraded to a 55gal, and that is where I currently stand. I live in the Leander/Cedar Park area, and would love to find a reefing buddy in the area to learn from and through ideas around with. Meanwhile, I know I will find overloads of information on here, and from the people I meet here. Any early advise for me would be well appreciated. Hope to be hearing from many much wiser then I! Thank you.

Jake

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your disabled status (sorry, not sure how to put it, so please take it in the sincere, non-offensive, context if you can), but thanks so much for your service.

you will find plenty of people that are eager to share their wisdom around here (not so much wisdom in me, yet). and many that live in the cedar park area. so, good luck to you and enjoy.

Jake,

Thank you for your service. I also served with four combat tours in Vietnam and Cambodia in the USAF as a crew chief on Puff the Magic Dragon.

I have been reefing for 45 years and I would be proud to be your mentor from down here in Hays County. I am "old school" and prefer to do easy to maintain natural systems. I suggest that you start a build thread and describe what you have set up at this time. If you are willing, I will gladly guide you in this addiction that I have had for 45 years. I never get bored with this marvelous hobby.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

PS This is a recently made video of my oldest set up at 12 years.

Welcome to the club and the hobby. From one Army Vet to another thank you for your service and your sacrifice. I live in Leander and would be more than happy to share what I know which is not as much as a lot people on here. I would also be more than happy to help in any way I can. I'll pm with my name and number and would like to meet and talk about saltwater anything.

Jake,

Thank you for your service. I also served with four combat tours in Vietnam and Cambodia in the USAF as a crew chief on Puff the Magic Dragon.

I have been reefing for 45 years and I would be proud to be your mentor from down here in Hays County. I am "old school" and prefer to do easy to maintain natural systems. I suggest that you start a build thread and describe what you have set up at this time. If you are willing, I will gladly guide you in this addiction that I have had for 45 years. I never get bored with this marvelous hobby.

Patrick

Ok what is the red and yellow thing and are your clowns trying to host your clam?

Welcome to the club and thank you for your service!

Like others have mentioned, tell us what you are working with and what you want to achieve. I'm sure a bunch of people will chime in once we know what you got.

-Ty

Jake,

Patrick

Ok what is the red and yellow thing and are your clowns trying to host your clam?
Sea Apples are suspension feeders. They are Sea cucumbers with a degree in color.

Yes, the clowns do not know the rules. The female was purchased from C-Quest in Purto Rico about five years ago. I did not know she was a female until I introduced five juveniles that were hatchery raised in India. She selected him and harassed the others into going over the overflow thru the bioballs into the mud/macro refugium. I gave the survivor to Grog, who put it in his daughters tank.

Patrick

I agree with Ty! What ingenuity! You're going to have to teach me how you did that and made the seals perfect, but that's for another time and place.

Welcome to ARC! Plenty to learn here and plenty of good people to help you along your journey no matter how far along you might be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to try anything DIY fist, just to save a little of that all mighty dollar. I know I will need that money somewhere down the line to keep up this hobby. This counter current skimmer build is quite easy, and I'd be glad to show anyone how to make it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

From another army vet let me start by saying thank you for your service, and welcome to the club!!! You will def find a ton of great folks here with a wealth of information to help you out. Btw the DIY skimmer is amazing!!!

Hi Jake, thanks for your service and sacrifice!

Lots of time even more patience, and some creativity are the requirements for this hobby without a doubt!

We are a polite community 'round here so just ask and you shall receive; help, advice, etc.

I've seen another thread of yours and the advice I'll offer you now is two fold:

1. Patrick is right, learn the differences in tank styles and set-ups and decide what fits you best. Old school, new tech, softie tank, SPS, LPS, and combinations thereof is far more complicated than can be well conveyed in writing.

2. Part of that learning curve is also who to listen to and purchase from. In Austin we have the distinct pleasure of having a high per capita percentage of fish stores (at least currently) which is great! But there are also stores I will not purchase from. This is a learning curve I haven't seen much literature on. Now, I am pretty sure all the stores are sponsors, so I don't speak specifics or name names...but If you want to PM me I'll give you my opinions in private.

As stated above, nice job on the skimmer! oh and lastly be sure to google algae turf scribbers as a low tech nutrient export option; it isn't for everyone but I LOVE mine.

Archived