Plumbing question

Mlaw

So I'm working on plumbing my overflows and have been told that I should make the stand pipes a larger diameter than the pipes that take the water to the sump. So 3/4 in the display and 1/2 under the tank. Does this sound right?

The overflow kits that came with my 220 both have 1' return and 1' drain pipe. So i plumbed them same 1' pvc. Or at least that was the size of the bulk heads. The only difference is the durse pipe inside the overflow box, durse pipe is 2' while the return is still 1'

I've never hear that, I'd be interested to know the logic behind it. I have a 1" drain from the standpipe down to the sump. Unless the purpose is to reduce the flow, to reduce the noise, I don't see this being beneficial. You will be creating a bottleneck, literally.

from the site JeeperTy referenced:

"With 1 inch and smaller bulkheads the standpipe's PVC diameter needs to
be larger than the bulkhead to work correctly. I get a lot of e-mail
questions on why this is. Honestly, I’m not sure."

oh okay, You don't know why to do it but I need to do it? hmmm.

if you were going to do something like this I would think you would want to do it the opposite way so that the larger pipe was on the bottom so as to prevent a bottle neck.

From a flow perspective, a 1" bulkhead will only let a finite amount of flow through it per second. I think the idea was to have excess water on the top side versus the drain side so that you will have less of a likelihood to be deficient in flow to possibly cause bubbles and gurgling. Basically jam more water through that bulkhead on the top side than it can handle so you always have positive pressure on it thereby reducing your chances of developing of bubbles or causing a bad case of the gurgles.

That's my best hypothesis, but I am not a flow expert in any sense of the word.

That dosent sound right... Im doing a Bean Animal and its 1-1/4 x1" street elbow into a 1" bulkhead into 1-1/2" drainpipe...

Getting smaller would create resistance, even with a siphon I would think.

Then again ive heard crazier things and thinking isnt my strong suit,

The bigger pipe on top will definitely reduce noise. Just speaking from experience here...

I wouldn't do anything smaller than a 3/4" though, 1/2" just isn't large enough in most cases for the size tanks I've had. If you're going to put a hole in glass, put a bit larger than you want. You can always throttle it.

I already have the hole and really don't want to make it any larger. I'm thinking I'll use 1 inch on the top and neck it down to 3/4 at the bulkhead and use 3/4 below.

Archived