In Loving Memory

Jake@River City

Awesome guys! I'm hijacking the first post and keeping a list of those who wish to contribute to the gift. Please continue to reply to this thread if you are interested in contributing.

I believe Tim is Vietnamese (please correct me if i'm wrong). Anyone know what would be considered a traditional Vietnamese condolence gift? A quick Google search says no gift, but a card, meals, and the like. Another suggestion was a charitable donation. Please advise if someone knows better.

I've got a message out to a viet friend of mine regarding appropriate funeral gifts. There is some pretty wild stuff if you get to googling. I don't trust the internet to prevent us from doing something mildly offensive.

• Like 4

i didn't know him, by my condolences to all yall that did.

just a thought mitch, there is the nature conservatory and rescue the reef donation on the forums page to donate to. might be appropriate.

i'm willing to chip in as well, whoever you decide to donate to.

• Like 1

* Funeral bouquets are accepted for both religion (catholic/Buddhist).

*I know Buddhist, they have a donation box set up to help the family members' funeral expenses. Asians tend to give money or do a gift card for food delivery for the family during the mourning time. Usually you don't have the energy to cook. So food is always a good thing. Normal paying respect at the funeral home/temple.

*What's the funeral arrangement? At a funeral home or temple? If temple, they do a prayer, might be over an hour, so schedule to come visit before or after. If during, you have to stay and pray with them.

• Like 1

Also, if they're open to having guests and friends at the service I know that many of us would like to go. We certainly don't want to intrude, but his family should know how much he meant to our community.

Hi everyone,

I am going to drop by in the next few hours to the house and was going to bring a copy of this thread printed up as a token of the impact he had on this board. I may just cut out all the funeral service and customs stuff and just leave in the parts of us talking of our memories of him and his impact on this board. I will try to find out any funeral arrangement stuff I can for those that wish to attend and I will grab some flowers and some food to drop off for the family. Btw, I'm Vietnamese so just follow my lead so you don't have to worry about offending.

Donations/contributions can be sent to [email protected] via Paypal (friends and family option) and I will make sure they all get to his family. Mike, if you want to setup something official for collection other than another board member, please feel free and I can transfer whatever has been sent to that fund instead. Thank you all for being so thoughtful and keeping his family in your prayers.

-Ty

• Like 4

Also, please PM if you have anything of his that you would like to get back to his famiily. I will offer to help keep his tank going until they decide what they want to do with it. I know his little brother keeps a tank too so I imagine he will continue to run the tank but if they just want to sell everything, I will offer assistance in selling his stuff. Thank you all for your kindness!

Tim and I went in together on a frag of Sherita's pink hippos at the frag swap last year. We agreed to let them grow out for a month or so in my tank and then split them since the 4 polyps were so tightly packed. He'd text me every couple of months to see if they were ready and we would trade a few lol's since these zoas refused to grow beyond the four polyps. Last week, 5 months later, we were trading text again and I suggested that he take the zoas and see if they would do better in his tank. I never heard a reply and I now imagine he had more on his plate than worrying about zoanthids. Crushes me when I think about it.

How do we "pour one out" for Tim? Do you frag it and throw it on the ground like a drink?

Well, if I could get it to grow out faster it would be nice to offer free frags for all members as kind of a memorial in all our tanks. But since it isn't really multiplying I asked Ty to find out if there is another hobbyist in Tim's family that I could give it too.

All, I'm deferring to Ty in regard to collecting funds etc. TY Ty!

Ty, btw, i'll assume you don't need me to maintain a list of peeps in the OP. If you do, lmk.

Edited by Mitch

Agreed. I talked to my mom and she said food and cash is best. So, I have already ordered the food. Plenty of stir fry noodles, fried rice, and egg rolls to feed a ton of family. About as much as I ordered for my rehearsal dinner for my wedding and that fed about 80+ people. Cost is $190, I will deduct from the donations and pay the rest myself. Any additional funds will be allocated to cash to be delivered to his family once everyone has donated.

My mom said flowers are nice if the family is well off since they don't need money. But I feel that cash would be much useful right now for Tim's family because I'm sure he had his share of medical bills up to this point as well.

Again, you can Paypal me at [email protected] and I will collect and distribute to his family. Thank you all for you generosity and compassion to Tim's family at this difficult time for them.

Agree with $, the family will have tons of flowers. The last time I spoke to Tim we were at my house and he discussed in length how his battle has taken a toll on him but he wasn't giving up. He was always smiling about defeating it everyday of his life, never wanted anyone to feel sorry for him at all. I had a close neice pass of leukimia at 9 yrs of age and told him about her. I am very proud to have know him in a personal setting. RIP my friend. I will be getting with u TY.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Quick update, food will be ready in about 1-2 hrs and I will drop it by the house. I will also ask about funeral services and will update when I have any information. Thank you all!

For a community who by definition almost always has to take things painfully slow, this response developed beautifully and very quickly. Thanks for spearheading Ty.

• Like 2

Hello ARC,

I've been in contact with Tim's family and Laura (Tim's girlfriend) has offered an open invitation regarding the service. The service will be held tomorrow on March 19th from 11am-9pm. The Christian Ceremony will be held at 3pm - 4:30pm and they are asking attendees participating to wear a white button shirt to the service as it is a symbol of a pure heart. The service will be held at the Cook-Walden capital parks funeral home.

14501 North IH 35

Pflugerville, TX 78660

-Francis Tran

Edited by Viet-tin