KimP's in-wall room divider build

KimP

Cement backer board is the perfect liner for the under the tank. Be sure you have a saw blade rated to cut it, and be sure you use outdoor or stainless screws. I would also paint with latex semi gloss to prevent salt build up and make it easier to clean.

Also, consider a skim coat to ensure a perfect level foundation before construction or placement of the stand. (I actually knew a guy who built his stand in his driveway and couldn't understand why his tank was 2 degrees off level!!) It's probably not large enough a foot print to REALLY stress over, but I think it's nice knowing for sure that the surface under the tank is perfectly level.

Going all out would be fiberglass lining the bottom "tub" of the stand. (I've considered a fiberglass built in sump much like a stand up shower, but haven't found the chance to build one.)

This gives the chance for a catch tub and alarm that could shut down the system if needed and protect that wood floor. It isn't needed by any means but thought I wouid throw the idea out there. In construction we'd call this a shower pan, hot water pan, etc. Think about a liner a couple inches up along the bottom and walls. The sump and EQ then sits in that where a float is connected to an alarm. If that float floats we know there is a leak in the system and have an emergency to deal with. It's better than comming home at the end of the day to find warped wood.

Have fun with the demo, Ty's right it's my favorite part too! I'd let ya borrow my skid stear but (unfortunatly) I don't think you need it!

I saw a tank very smilar to those specs at the dome on Friday...was it in already??

Cement backer board is the perfect liner for the under the tank. Be sure you have a saw blade rated to cut it, and be sure you use outdoor or stainless screws. I would also paint with latex semi gloss to prevent salt build up and make it easier to clean.

Also, consider a skim coat to ensure a perfect level foundation before construction or placement of the stand. (I actually knew a guy who built his stand in his driveway and couldn't understand why his tank was 2 degrees off level!!) It's probably not large enough a foot print to REALLY stress over, but I think it's nice knowing for sure that the surface under the tank is perfectly level.

Going all out would be fiberglass lining the bottom "tub" of the stand. (I've considered a fiberglass built in sump much like a stand up shower, but haven't found the chance to build one.)

This gives the chance for a catch tub and alarm that could shut down the system if needed and protect that wood floor. It isn't needed by any means but thought I wouid throw the idea out there. In construction we'd call this a shower pan, hot water pan, etc. Think about a liner a couple inches up along the bottom and walls. The sump and EQ then sits in that where a float is connected to an alarm. If that float floats we know there is a leak in the system and have an emergency to deal with. It's better than comming home at the end of the day to find warped wood.

Have fun with the demo, Ty's right it's my favorite part too! I'd let ya borrow my skid stear but (unfortunatly) I don't think you need it!

I saw a tank very smilar to those specs at the dome on Friday...was it in already??

I'd be awesome if that was my tank, but I haven't gotten a call about it yet. It's only been maybe a week anyway.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll look into all of those ideas. I have been planning on having basically a shower pan all along. In the current stand I have, I made it so that it'll hold about 2" of water before leaking out of the stand. I also have a water sensor on the apex. So, I should be good for minor leaks that occur under the tank or from any equipment in the stand, and I just have to pray the tank itself never cracks or busts a seam! I'm sol if that happens and no one's home. Another plan I have to minimize water on the floor is to have all the reactors, manifold, etc, be in or over the sump such that any leaks drip into the sump. That's saved me a couple times on my current tank already.

Here's what I've been working on this weekend. I was trying to get it to this point for the meeting, so yay! Building the stand went really smoothly. I'm glad I had already built a stand before so I knew what I was doing this time. The uneven floor was a bit tricky but the final product is square and level. I'm hoping the tank will be ready for the meeting, but it'll probably take longer than that. Oh well smile.png The next thing I'll be doing is painting the stand to protect from moisture. I'm still thinking on the sump/ato/electrical space layout for in the stand. I have roughly 48"x27"x34"tall space to work with.

post-1781-0-59007800-1397438985_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-11615600-1397438986_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-56759000-1397438986_thumb.jp

First there was this

attachicon.gifwall 1.jpg

Now this :punk:

attachicon.gifwall 2.jpg

The demolition was really fun and easy! Dusty though.

Kim,

Tim told me that you did it with your bare hands.

Even if the tank is not up and running, let us consider MUSTER. What a way to initiate the new house.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

PS. On a side note. Our VIP TOUR of UT Marine Bioscience Department is on. We moved it to the week after Easter to get both department heads involved. Jerry says no problem with your infant.

Haha, those kids are gonna be so pissed when you put that tank in. You need to make it un-fun in a hurry to reduce the sting.

Lol, I know. They were both laughing and having the best time all by themselves for like an hour strait. Best decision I made all day. It might be worth the let down later!

• 1 month later...

Wow, can't believe it's been so long since my last update. The second video is done and the tank has arrived!! There were a couple snags building the stand that will be addressed in a future video. So now that the structural stand is done and the tank is here, the next thing I'm waiting on is the sump and to begin plumbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6867ibRScF0

I know the glare is really bad, but you can probably get the idea

post-1781-0-81394400-1402612316_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-67777100-1402612319_thumb.jp

Kim, I love these videos! They are awesome! Are you reading from a teleprompter in the first part of the video? I can't believe how you can remember all the dimensions for the video. Big fan of a Jonathan sighting in Part 2 this time and the blooper reel at the end. Ready for Part 3 when you got it!

• Like 1