KimP's in-wall room divider build

KimP

Long overdue for an update. Things have been mostly great. Had a few hiccups with alkalinity, nothing major just some swings with minimal damage. Randomly lost a big birdsnest recently that took down a rainbow Stylo growing nicely above it. It's been smooth sailing otherwise. Right now I'm thinking of adding some fish. Probably wrasses.

I ended up getting pics of the birdsnest as it receded. It went down fast! I did manage to frag a little of it.

MVIMG_20191108_163743.jpg

IMG_20191109_205601.jpg

MVIMG_20191109_214718.jpg

MVIMG_20191110_135023.jpg

This is the first time I noticed brown jelly, and right before I pulled it out

IMG_20191110_143934.jpg

The stylo showing skeleton was completely white the next day. No other losses.

• Like 1

Your corals look awesome! Can’t wait to get all my zoas back. What you described with the cyano and IO is identical to what I’m dealing with. I’ve thght about switching back to RS, and now I’m sure I need to. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, jolt said:

Awesome update.  Your pictures came out really well I think

Thanks! That's good to hear. I'm excited to finally be able to take some good pics of the tank again.

10 hours ago, mhart032 said:

Looks great Kim!

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Christyef said:

Your corals look awesome! Can’t wait to get all my zoas back. What you described with the cyano and IO is identical to what I’m dealing with. I’ve thght about switching back to RS, and now I’m sure I need to. emoji106.png

I guess they changed manufacturing plants a while back and it just hasn't been the same. The price difference sucks but not as much as dealing with cyano. Hopefully you'll see the same difference!

• Like 3

Just to play devils advocate, I've been using IO (FOWLR right now until i get some coral in) but dont have algae issues, yet. I did however notice that my barrel does have quite a bit of insoluble junk at the bottom. 

The tank looks fantastic!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, victoly said:

Just to play devils advocate, I've been using IO (FOWLR right now until i get some coral in) but dont have algae issues, yet. I did however notice that my barrel does have quite a bit of insoluble junk at the bottom. 

I thought of your tank when I wrote about that. I wonder what the difference is? Maybe your tank is new enough and doesn't have the nutrients? Or enough light? Hopefully it won't end up being a problem for you.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:10 AM, victoly said:

While the majority of my systems didn't have any noticable changes when IO switched their manufactiring process, several did start getting new cyano growth at the same time.  Kim's tank was the best example though.  She had some problems middle of last year and had some bleaching and some dieoff and consequently lots of cyano.  I started working with her and we had gotten it cleared for probably two months up when I grabbed a bucket of IO when she ran out of Read Sea.  Within a few days of the first water change with IO a fair amount of cyano popped up and got worse week to week until we switched back to Red Sea after 3 weeks and we saw an immediate slow down and disappearance of cyano in just a couple more weeks.  

• Like 3

I switched back to Red Sea last week. Did a water change on Sunday and my cyano is noticeably less. Also cleaned my nasty mp40’s. The better flow may be helping some too. [emoji16]. My euphyllia are a bit closed. Not sure if that’s the new salt or the higher flow. It doesn’t seem too high, but it’s definitely higher. I’m sure they will adapt

• Like 2

It’s interesting you all mention this. I haven’t had a spec of visible cyano in nearly 8 years, and just recently I’m seeing spots pop up on the sand (it doesn’t bother me, just an observation). I use IO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Things are going so well! I'm past the algae phase of adding the new lights and now I have more spots for coral. All the corals that lost color are looking great again and I'm starting to see some growth. For the past several weeks the sandbed is staying clean and my phosphates are under control for the first time in the life of this tank. Here are the pictures! I did have to wake the tank up to get pictures without glare, so some corals aren't open all the way. You know how they do. Blues first then whites:

MVIMG_20200503_220035.jpg

IMG_20200503_220050.jpg

IMG_20200503_220102.jpg

MVIMG_20200503_220110.jpg

IMG_20200503_220127.jpg

IMG_20200503_220147.jpg

IMG_20200503_220153.jpg

IMG_20200503_220211.jpg

IMG_20200503_220303.jpg

IMG_20200503_220305.jpg

IMG_20200503_220308.jpg

• Like 2