KimP's in-wall room divider build

KimP

Thank you everyone!

Kim, I love these videos! They are awesome! Are you reading from a teleprompter in the first part of the video? I can't believe how you can remember all the dimensions for the video. Big fan of a Jonathan sighting in Part 2 this time and the blooper reel at the end. Ready for Part 3 when you got it!

Haha, no teleprompter. Great idea though....let's just say getting it all right in the first shot has only happened once or twice! ;)

Great build thread. You've raised the bar on build threads.

Thanks, that's really nice of you to say!! It was Tim's idea to do the videos and I'm really happy we decided to do it. The hope is that it'll be an example of how relatively simple the process is. Better than just pictures and descriptions alone.

Lookin good!! Is the plan still to skin the stand with the matching cabinet wood?

Yep, that's the plan. Cabinets on the kitchen side to match the existing cabinets, and drywall on the other side to match the wall. I'm still thinking on how to manage the moisture (besides the fans) to keep mold from growing. It will probably include cement board and caulking. We'll see! I want to get the sump in first.

I finally decided on a DC pump for the closed loop. I was really interested in the new Reef Octupus DC pumps (not the discontinued diablos, the new ones) but I'm having a heck of a time finding a place to buy one and they seem to be back ordered. So I'm going with a Gen II Waveline 10000. Seems like everyone's happy with thiers.

Kim, I love these videos! They are awesome! Are you reading from a teleprompter in the first part of the video? I can't believe how you can remember all the dimensions for the video. Big fan of a Jonathan sighting in Part 2 this time and the blooper reel at the end. Ready for Part 3 when you got it!

Ty, I think this will answer your question. laugh.png

http://youtu.be/vM8UGKT1npA

• Like 2

Hi Kim,

To deal with humidity issues you're on the right track with cement or green board. But above that I would suggest a silica rack. A simple mounted soap dish with silica packed into a filter sock should do.

If you really want to go the distance look into fiberglass molding. It isn't hard to do; just puts off some pretty serious fumes.

Great build thread!

Hi Kim,

To deal with humidity issues you're on the right track with cement or green board. But above that I would suggest a silica rack. A simple mounted soap dish with silica packed into a filter sock should do.

If you really want to go the distance look into fiberglass molding. It isn't hard to do; just puts off some pretty serious fumes.

Great build thread!

Thank you for the ideas, I will be looking into it. Cement board is my plan at the moment. So with the silica, this would just be mounted up high under the stand and swapped out as needed? I've never heard of it and sounds very manageable.

Hi Kim,

Great build thread!

Thank you for the ideas, I will be looking into it. Cement board is my plan at the moment. So with the silica, this would just be mounted up high under the stand and swapped out as needed? I've never heard of it and sounds very manageable.

And it's an excuse to buy shoes. "But honey, we need the silica, you don't want moldy walls, do you?"

• 1 month later...
Nothing big to report but I wanted to post an update. We're starting to get the plumbing in but ran into a couple road blocks, one being a ball valve on the closed loop that falls apart when closed. Glad we're checking things at every step, that would've been a big mess if we hadn't!! That was replaced with a much better design of a combo union and ball valve. I also should decide what equipment I'm going to be running so I can build the manifold. Right now I'm thinking of running gfo and gac reactors off of the return. I currently have 2 valves on it. I intend on running a mixed sps and lps tank with minimal softies and I feed moderately heavy. Not sure about the livestock load yet. It's pretty light in the 90 but mostly because I'm waiting on this tank to be done.

So here's a few pics of where things stand tonight. Sump and ato tank is in place. Closed loop is in place just needs to be tightened and tested. Manifold is built but can be changed. Both returns are hooked up and waiting for the lockline to be installed. That should be it then it'll be ready to fill up with the hose and test it all out.

post-1781-0-43977700-1406777983_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-70483300-1406777990_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-90336100-1406777987_thumb.jp

Got some help with the bulkheads smile.png

post-1781-0-36103700-1406778854_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-86363800-1406778857_thumb.jp

Next on the list is finishing out the inside of the stand for moisture control, including having the electrician over to put in a gfci something-or-another and get that outlet in a better position. Also figuring out how to handle all the electronics that will be housed underneath there. Then someday getting the stand skinned and working on some sort of aquascape.

So some big decisions to make: what equipment to run, if any, as far as biopellets, gfo, gac, etc, etc., and live vs dead rock and how much of my current LR in the 90gal to use. And then aquascaping. Ideas, thoughts, comments definitely welcome!

• Like 2

We got the plumbing in and the tank wet. It was very exciting to see it all running. Now I'm even more motivated to get it finished. Lots left to do though. Should be another video posted soon!

zy2yqama.jpg

Kinda lame but it's the only picture I have on my phone to post. I was waiting for it to fill up so I could try the closed loop :)

• Like 2

Looks great, can't wait to see the next video :). I'm really struggling about deciding to upgrade to a larger tank, and I love the idea of a closed loop system, can you share any details regarding how you are doing yours? I love the idea to minimize if not remove the need to have pumps/power heads in the tank.

Sure! I've been wondering if you upgraded already. Mine is super simple, just 2 holes in the bottom, the intake side has a 1.5" bulkhead and the output is 1" one. I went with a waveline dc variable speed pump and will use the apex to control it. For the output we're testing it using 3 nozzles. Right now there's a ton of flow but the design might change a bit depending on the aquascape etc. I think that's about it. I'm sure you know, but you can do more than 2 holes and do them on the back, or even like a hob type set up.

Sure! I've been wondering if you upgraded already. Mine is super simple, just 2 holes in the bottom, the intake side has a 1.5" bulkhead and the output is 1" one. I went with a waveline dc variable speed pump and will use the apex to control it. For the output we're testing it using 3 nozzles. Right now there's a ton of flow but the design might change a bit depending on the aquascape etc. I think that's about it. I'm sure you know, but you can do more than 2 holes and do them on the back, or even like a hob type set up.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about some sort of a device like Oceans Motion (http://www.oceansmotions.com/) it's a bit pricey and I don't know much about them, but I like the idea.

As far as my upgrading.... I really want to, I have some priorities & obligations ATM that are taking my "extra" funds. :)

Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It might just scare away anyone thinking of starting up.

I was all but ready to pull the trigger on a 175g tank... then I decided I should put a quick budget together... that changed my mind, well at least postponed that action.