KimP's in-wall room divider build

KimP

Weekly FTS.

67e88059cf69a45d122142b113ee8b08.jpg

d2fc9a3bc990cec30786b8874da571b0.jpg

Last night my leopard wrasse died, and apparently unrelated, my red lined wrasse has splotches on both sides of it's body. I'm planning on finding a fish trap to get it out and treat (anyone south have one I could borrow?). Alk is still holding steady but phos tested 0.25 . It's nearly always been 0.092 every time I've tested except for one short dip several months back. I swapped out a bag of Chemipure Blue that has gfo in it yesterday. I wonder if having so much less algae is letting the levels raise? As of right now all the corals look the same as they have all month, with some growth but I guess they could be struggling in a way that's not apparent yet and therefore using less phos. I don't know what else could cause it to go up. If anything I'm feeding a bit less recently. I haven't changed anything in a month at least. Interesting. The aiptasia problem I have is totally out of control. For the most part they're not bothering anything I can tell but I'm ready to do something about it. I'm considering getting a filefish or CBB. I bet I have thousands in there. I did find an sps frag yesterday I've been sad about losing for a couple weeks! I had stuck it in a nook up high last time I glued frags, just to set it down until I got to it, and I forgot. Noticed it peeking out finally. I pulled it out to a good spot and it's lost a lot of color but I'm hopeful it'll recover. Yay for some small victories :D

Really enjoying these corals lately

Blue acan frag. Blurry pic but best I could do having to take the picture at a steep angle to get the color to show up

dfaa9f4a0f889365f680ad1d17b246fd.jpg

Yellowish hammer

b9e2dd8c04f055a69915c6e801ef8c41.jpg

And the monti behind it

e8f7b0016031611d7f77242da608fcb2.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry about the wrasse I lost all three of mine last time I went out of town. I can bring a trap to Just Reef Sat if you still need one.

That would be great! Hopefully it won't be hard to catch.

Here's what the splotches look like. I'm still trying to get a better picture. They're actually looking a bit better today. The fish has started to only come out of the sand for a few hours in the mornings, and I finally got a good look at it a couple days ago. It just looks like it has bleach spots. I don't see any breaks in the skin, and the splotches aren't raised.

post-1781-0-47684800-1463781203_thumb.jp

Really enjoying these corals lately

Blue acan frag. Blurry pic but best I could do having to take the picture at a steep angle to get the color to show up

dfaa9f4a0f889365f680ad1d17b246fd.jpg

Yellowish hammer

b9e2dd8c04f055a69915c6e801ef8c41.jpg

And the monti behind it

e8f7b0016031611d7f77242da608fcb2.jpg

the monti is called Jedi mind trick. It was my favorite one besides setosa

• 2 weeks later...

Were the pictures from a couple weeks ago and this last week taken at the same time? Even without clicking on the pictures there's noticable growth with some of your montis but your toadstools have expanded quite a bit in the second set.

It looks great!

Thanks! The pictures really make it look colorful. In real life a whole lot of corals have been washed out looking. Only in the past week or two am I starting to get some color back. It's been a complete mystery as to why they lost color.

Were the pictures from a couple weeks ago and this last week taken at the same time? Even without clicking on the pictures there's noticable growth with some of your montis but your toadstools have expanded quite a bit in the second set.

Good eye! Last Wed I managed to take the pictures before the lights turned off for the day, around 8pm. In all the previous pictures and probably again tonight, I won't get around to it until midnight, so everything's been asleep.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

FTS from the week before last (I didn't bother to turn on one of the lights, so that's why there's a big shadow)

post-1781-0-69165400-1468267307_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-16661100-1468267310_thumb.jp

I had unexpectedly ran out of town for a couple weeks back in June. These pictures are from right after my return. Things seemed to go well enough in the tank but something's been up with every single one of my acans since. The scoly has looked questionable too, though might be back to normal now. All of the acans are still retracted and I've totally lost one small frag. Today I'm going to pull them all out for an iodine based dip to see if that helps. I just don't know what would only bother acans and nothing else. Blastos are fine, and actually, all other corals in the tank are looking better than in a long time. A bunch of the corals in the tank were looking washed-out for a long time now. I do have a filefish in the tank but haven't seen him nipping at anything.

Parameters:

Alk 155 and holding steady for a long time now

Mg 1155 and increasing. I have Mg hooked up to the doser now.

Ca test is apparently bad because I get wildly different results on the same water sample. New kit arrives tomorrow.

Salinity 1.026

Phos 0.25 It's been this high for maybe 2 months. I'd like it lower, but with the higher phos my corals are finally coloring back up. Maybe coincidence of course.

I'm so bummed about the acans. I hope the dip helps!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the Acan troubles Kim. The thanks looking amazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for saying that! I'm trying to keep in mind how much better everything else is looking because I'm pretty discouraged about the acans.

I dipped the acans I could easily remove in an iodine based dip a couple days ago. They look moderately better. They went from skeletons with a thin flat layer of tissue on them to having a little puffiness. I'll take it! Today I pulled the rest out and dipped them. It was clear that only the ones dipped showed improvement, so I'm certain it was because of the dip. I hope they all recover, or at least most of them.

Not dipped

post-1781-0-40183000-1468726221_thumb.jp

Dipped

post-1781-0-49877300-1468726220_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-07815500-1468726222_thumb.jp

• Like 1