47ced7b513f41263b662b40cbe6bbab8.jpg

591624a6d02a869b81ba4b505738a968.jpg

03b4268274232394662b3d8691b457d0.jpg

ae4ab6c92c10e23360d4672763b233ed.jpg

dda4fad6f6f87600058fc2a722e9adb4.jpg

a4ce66289eccbac1d1c1217328780f34.jpg

And here's the baby thorny oyster

9ae72c8abf4fcefcdb2177cc6dd6c098.jpg

My alk consumption is down a little more today. I'm wondering if this means the corals aren't growing as much and if so, I wonder why. Other than that, algae growth continues to slow and clear out, and things are looking pretty good.

• Like 1

Looks great KimP!

SPS usually take a bit to recover from a stressful event, somewhat of a delayed reaction if you will. I would just continue to monitor and see if it picks back up.

Whenever growth does slow for me, I always check the usual culprits, nitrates, phosphates, alk, Ca, and Mg.

Looks great KimP!

SPS usually take a bit to recover from a stressful event, somewhat of a delayed reaction if you will. I would just continue to monitor and see if it picks back up.

Whenever growth does slow for me, I always check the usual culprits, nitrates, phosphates, alk, Ca, and Mg.

Thanks for the advice :D Would you consider the raise in alk a stressful event, or are we talking a reaction from months ago, maybe from the algae outbreak? Or maybe getting placed in a new tank? What would you consider to be the most dkh alk should be raised in a 24hr period?

I tested everything a day and a half ago:

Phos 0.092 besides a dip a few weeks ago, this is the level it's been at for at least a year

Ca 395 I've been raising this

Mg 1305 also been raising this

Alk 9.6 up from sitting between 6-7 for a long time

Salinity 35

Temp now sits between 78-79 instead of 77-78

Nitrate 0, on an api kit

pH stays between 7.7-8.1

Usually the delayed reaction is from a week or so ago, a month is maybe longer than what I've seen personally.

I aim to never increase more than 1 dKh/day though I've seen them tolerate 1.5 dKh.

I'm curious as to why your pH is lower without running a CaRX. pH is something I never chase in a saltwater tank but now I'm just curious. Are you still running a skimmer?

Yes, but I'd think it was a bit undersized, and it shuts off for a while at night. My pH actually used to sit lower than that. It's only recently that I've ever seen an 8 on the display! I just recalibrated the probe too. I don't chase the pH either but I do like to watch it and see what it's doing. Especially while dosing alk.

The alk did suddenly raise to 9 when the rtn started, so I think that was the problem even though it was only 1dkh in 24hrs.

Speaking of pH, does anyone know a good way to clean the probe? I looked it up but didn't find anything really. It looks like I have a sponge growing up in it, where I can't reach with a brush. It seemed to calibrate fine but still seems like it should be cleaned once in a while.

Speaking of pH, does anyone know a good way to clean the probe? I looked it up but didn't find anything really. It looks like I have a sponge growing up in it, where I can't reach with a brush. It seemed to calibrate fine but still seems like it should be cleaned once in a while.

I typically use a toothbrush to dislodge the sponges that can grow in there. I do this everytime I calibrate. Speaking of... thanks for the reminder. [emoji106]
  • Like 1

Really like the weekly FTS idea. I'm going to try and copy that for my thread once I get corals and fish in!

Great! I look forward to following! There's a thread brian.srock started where you post a picture every whatever-interval, and he'll make them all into a gif. Pretty cool. That's what I'm trying to do, a weekly fts for all of 2016 :D

FTS for the week. I had a rock fall from the top and mess up several corals so I've been sulking all day about it. No idea how it got pushed down. I probably won't get a chance to reglue and figure out what to do about it until Sat. Of course it was one of the few rocks in my tank not drilled!

67ce55b2e5f988dbff83d7f921c4d524.jpg

e1e978e390ca7a438d5fb0217df06c9a.jpg

Second suspect I'm going to say is the hippo tang. They are known for dislodging and moving rocks.

Really? [emoji53] That's frustrating. I'd better figure out how to secure my couple loose rocks then. Thanks for the heads up.

Second suspect I'm going to say is the hippo tang. They are known for dislodging and moving rocks.

Really? [emoji53] That's frustrating. I'd better figure out how to better secure my couple loose rocks then. Thanks for the heads up.
Oh yeah, in my opinion, the least reef safe tang. They move rocks and I've observed one eating zoas once. They are such a pest for being so beautiful.

Oh that's okay! It's because I get around to taking the pictures at like 1 in the morning so most of the fish are asleep. I like to take the pic when I can turn off all the lights so the only light on is the tank, then I don't get any glare.

I lost my filefish very mysteriously a while back and I'm still actually really sad about it. That's when I decided not to get another. After losing 2 of them I think the way I run a tank must not meet all their needs. He was a great eater and I just don't know why I lost it. The previous one I had died shortly after moving to a new house, so I wasn't taking as good of care of the tank during the move. Anyway, I unfortunately don't have one anymore.

My stocking list is currently:
Dwarf Morey eel
Yellow watchman
Mystery wrasse
Yellow wrasse
Red lined wrasse
Potter's wrasse
Springer's damsel
Royal gramma
Hippo tang
Foxface
Tail spot blenny

I think that's it!

Edit: Okay, I just plowed through the entire build thread like I should have originally to avoid too many questions. :) Wow, what a cool tank! I saw the random drop off the of the filefish and the cool videos in the middle as well.

Hmm. That scares me a bit, because mine is a really great eater as well, and by far my favorite fish. I am going to start reading a bit more on them to make sure that I am feeding him right. The one thing that I have noticed is that he is the only fish that he almost never goes in rock work and sleeps in the open water toward the top of the tank in the back.

Hmm. That scares me a bit, because mine is a really great eater as well, and by far my favorite fish. I am going to start reading a bit more on them to make sure that I am feeding him right. The one thing that I have noticed is that he is the only fish that he almost never goes in rock work and sleeps in the open water toward the top of the tank in the back.

Yeah sleeping was a thought of mine too. When I had a bad gha problem a while back, while the tank was newer, he would go over to the longest strands of algae every night to hold on with his mouth and go to sleep. I have a feeling that's how they sleep in the wild and why they have those tassles. They'd make good camouflage in a lagoon. I worried about him when the algae cleared out. I'm interested to see what you can research about them!

This is not my best reef keeping week [emoji53]

31939be566cc245012d73bfe2e9a5ada.jpg

c42cc349a165c59ff9a916467ee85ecc.jpg

This week I lost my Scott's fairy wrasse, that big rock fell breaking a few corals, and now the door has a split. I just did a water change so hopefully that won't mess anything up.

Edit: Okay, I just plowed through the entire build thread like I should have originally to avoid too many questions. :) Wow, what a cool tank! I saw the random drop off the of the filefish and the cool videos in the middle as well.

Thanks [emoji4] I really enjoy it. Most of the time, ha!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks beautiful Kim. I can't wait to have a nice little tank again

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Thanks! It's great to see you around again!
  • Like 1