Pailines's 50' Shallow Build

Pailines

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow, thank you all. Now by the end of Thursday the poll will close and the glass shall be sent to the fire of which it came, and forged into the oblivion that which it was... (looks like shallow is winning!)

And yeah, i plan to drill it so there that build part to think about

p.s. by the reference i meant im sending it out to be professionally cut while i'll do the sealing :@

During my lunch break today, i realized that i forgot to calculate the top glass for option two!! doh.gif

So quickly back to the drawing board and i found an solution...

Instead of having to buy an additional 29.5" x 40" panel plate glass, decided to just "shrink" the sides.

The tank is now gonna be 69.5" W x 14" L x 14" H !!!! (around 50 gal thumbsdown.gif )

so now i only need to get two additional 14" X 13.5" x 3/8" for the sides.

BACK IN BUSSINESS! rock.gif

On a side note: Does everyone think this aquarium sealant is good? Looking for a black aquarium grade sealant.

http://www.amazon.com/GordonGlass-Black-Aquarium-Silicone-Sealant/dp/B003PNXU1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394181960&sr=8-1&keywords=black+aquarium+sealant

makes considerably more sense. seems a shame to loose 10 gallons for such a thing. i don't know anything about it, but is there no other way to brace the tank? at those dimensions with 1/4" glass do you need a brace?

i found this on here, but i cannot tell if the link in the 3rd post is for a rimless or rimmed aquarium. if it is for rimless your original dimensions will result in a safety factor greater than 4. of course, it is up to you, but i thought you may want to see it. i know i have seen other links to calculators that are specifically for rimless aquariums, i just couldn't find it on my short break here. i shall trouble you no more on the subject :).

side note: i always chuckle when i google something and click a link only to see the ARC logo flash along the top of the page.

That really cool to know it's a safety rating of 4... i didn't even thought of that :facepalm:

But nonetheless, the glass is cut, sitting in the garage waiting for the sealant from the BRS group buy to arrive #likeakidwaitingforchristmas

That really cool to know it's a safety rating of 4... i didn't even thought of that :facepalm:

But nonetheless, the glass is cut, sitting in the garage waiting for the sealant from the BRS group buy to arrive #likeakidwaitingforchristmas

Did you happen to look into it to see if it was braced or not? I was just curious but never got back into it.

Well,in case no one has heard yet, i went and took the glass to get them professionally cut...

turning out the +/- 1/16" can very up to 1/2" !! and 14" turns to 13 1/2"!!!

But the said 'professionals-who-is-courteous-and-not-going-to-be-named' is willing to reimburse me with a brand-new new piece of plate glass.

So all is well with the build progress of the shallow 5 feet long tank! rock.gif

On a side note, after seeing Ty's tank... im thinking... and thinking...huh.png

Archived