Drilling tank, overflow / return

Tccompwiz

I'm buying a used tank and this will prolly be my final tank upsize. Going from 110 tank and 40 gal sump to 180 tank and 70 sump. Anyway I want to so this one nice and drill it. Should I drill the overflows only or should I drill returns too. Fishy Business says to drill 4x 1.5 in holes and PVC it to sump. Do I want to drill 4x1" holes for returns or just pipe over edge or is there some better option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would probably opt for 3/4 threaded returns so you can run locline on them. You may not need 4 depending on your pump config though. Assuming you are going to have other in-tank pumps for water flow, you should be able to get 10x turnover through 2 - 3/4 returns.

Yeah, you basically want to run the primary at full siphon and the second to handle the excess but it is vented. Ideally you end up with 80% of the water going through the siphon and 20% to the secondary. This way it stays quiet. The 3rd is strictly a backup in case either of the main overflows get clogged.

I personally prefer larger than 3/4", I'd go with (2) 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 and (2) 1", but I'm paranoid about blockages. You can always throttle a pump to return slower and with Durso's or Maggie Mufflers to reduce noise you don't get the full flow that the diameter would normally give you.

I personally prefer larger than 3/4", I'd go with (2) 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 and (2) 1", but I'm paranoid about blockages. You can always throttle a pump to return slower and with Durso's or Maggie Mufflers to reduce noise you don't get the full flow that the diameter would normally give you.

I was saying 3/4 for return only. Definitely 1 1/2 or larger for the drains.

• 1 month later...

Ok now I have an 80 gallon 48" wide. I'm going to dril 2x3/4 for return then for outflow. The system used to have a 1" hose out of a old giant hang on back overflow box. Would it be better to do 2unu4a2y.jpgwith a smal overflow box or rusavu9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived