DIY 75gal stand build

bobby layland

IIter looking at new stands to buy I decided to build my own.this being my first time I have tried to build I watched a lot of YouTube videos to start with.

I used 2×6 for the frame and put it together using a kreg pocket hole jig and wood glue

I built it a little high 36 inches tallbecause I wanted to see into the aquar without bending over Lolthen I skinned it with 1\4 Birch plywood

the hardest part for me was building the doors at first but after I screwed up 3 or 4 it wasn't that bad

after sanding it down I presprestaine it

and used black stain on it I guess next days off I will build a canopy for it now if I could just figure out how to upload the pics

• 2 weeks later...

So would you feel that a center brace would be unnecessary on a stand for that size tank? I'm drawing up plans for my next stand build which will be for a 55-90 gallon capacity and I'm afraid to not use a center brace?

So would you feel that a center brace would be unnecessary on a stand for that size tank? I'm drawing up plans for my next stand build which will be for a 55-90 gallon capacity and I'm afraid to not use a center brace?

i'd do it for cheap and easy insurance. but i'm an overbuilder.

Looks great.

IMO a center brace with a 2X6 on that length is overkill. If 2X4 material then probably a center brace would be needed. Just my .02.

Having said that, sometimes a center brace is nice for mounting doors etc, even if it is not necessary from a structural standpoint.

Apologies for further derailing the build. But I meant vertical. Having a vertical brace on my stand now has made it all but impossible to fit a big sump in. To counter that on my own personal build, I'll be installing a door at the end too

Bpb: Trusting the details described here in the three posts from RocketEngineer http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567110 Even a 2x4 should handle the 4' span for a 90g without a center brace. I'm doing one very similar but with a 2x6 on that long span, no center brace so I can fit a 55g underneath. Just more capable.

Archived