Considering dwarf seahorses

Lorien

Researching now, and will try hatching brine shrimp for the fish in the 60g to see if it is doable for me. I haven't been approved at seahorse.org do they take a long time? Anybody keep dwarfs? Besides the daily brine hatching, are there any other deal breakers I should be thinking over? I am super infatuated with the idea. :)

That forum does take a while to approve. Just fyi, there isn't actually a ton if info on dwarfs there. There's actually more and better info other places on the internet. A couple thoughts, you're looking at hatching and enriching every day. Every single day. And feeding. They need a small tank and some way to deal with all the extra nutrients. Then there's the hydroids. Ideally every single thing that goes in the tank is dry or relatively sterile. That also rules out macros unless you can find some that will survive a fresh water soak.

Besides all of that, there are a bunch of people out there that successfully keep them! And they're relatively easy to breed. If you have the extra time to devote to feeding and cleaning I say go for it! Just read up on hydroids and what all that entails. Also, a good source for them is seahorsesource.com. They're terrible shippers so be prepared to lose a few. Usually they include a couple extra because of this.

That is good to know, now I won't keep waiting for them to approve me thinking there is some awesome info in the dwarf threads. :) I am going to hatch every single day at least long enough to figure out how high my tolerance for the task is. It doesn't hurt that my current fish will probably love the treats! I am going to experiment dipping small sprigs of my various macros to see if any will do for the seahorse tank. I am also looking at getting cool mangrove roots for an aquascape. I don't have any info on the contamination risk of mangrove seeds/starts...

I also need more info on keeping picos/nanos. Going smaller than 10 gallon makes me nervous for the stability factors.

1) water changes: I read of one person using high quality salt mix and doing 100% water changes. Sounds risky, but the fastest easiest way to clean.

2) maintaining cooler temps: Some people put bottles of frozen saltwater in the tank to maintain the cool temps. In my house, in the summer it is going to be an issue for a small tank. Especially if I try to go with mostly natural lighting.

I will definitely need to set it up with everything but the ponies and experiment thoroughly. Something fun to explore while I am trying to be patient with my 60 build.

Archived