15.4 ft

Hose 1” NPT 1”

instead of what I am currently using:

Iwaki MD-70RLT

336W

1536 GPH

31.8 ft

Hose 1” NPT 1”

I like the idea of reducing my power consumption, I don't need 31ft of head room and I could use a bit less GPH. My sump is in the room right next to the DT and it is only 3 feet below the DT.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No mer-people this time around but here's a picture of the new tank in its new spot. Pretty ridiculous that the new tank and new stand sits higher than my old tank with its canopy on. Awesomeness!

20131221_132247_zpsqxh0judw.jpg

A huge thanks to Woods, Gig'em, and Sascha for making it happen with very little notice. It's always nice to know your tank bro's got your back... or willing to save your back at least. It felt like an old-fashioned barn raising... if I knew what that felt like at least.

Jaggedfire gets an honorable mention for starting the whole idea and offering to bring dollies as well! Thanks man!

Gave it a good wipe down and removed any silicone residue where I could see it from the reseal. I'll snap a better picture tomorrow morning when I have some natural daylight again. Looking forward to at least attempting to get some plumbing done and maybe a bit of aragonite sand cleaning in before the day is over tomorrow.

Thanks all! The journey continues...

Didn't get a chance to rinse the sand but I did go buy all the parts I would need to plumb the tank and got moving on hard plumbing everything. Sump has been setup for now to cycle the new dry pukani rock from BRS while I plumb and fill the main display.

I forgot how bad cycling rock smells!

20131222_234852_zpsyvnznxyu.jpg

Went ahead and started the RO/DI drip in the main display so that I can start filling it up.

Humble beginnings:

20131222_113352_zps2pqz8wom.jpg

12 hours later:

2013-12-22234826_zpse3695f63.jpg

Planning on running this thing over night. This is definitely one of the slowest tank fills known to mankind. doh.gif

No mer-people this time around but here's a picture of the new tank in its new spot. Pretty ridiculous that the new tank and new stand sits higher than my old tank with its canopy on. Awesomeness!

A huge thanks to Woods, Gig'em, and Sascha for making it happen with very little notice. It's always nice to know your tank bro's got your back... or willing to save your back at least. It felt like an old-fashioned barn raising... if I knew what that felt like at least.

Jaggedfire gets an honorable mention for starting the whole idea and offering to bring dollies as well! Thanks man!

Gave it a good wipe down and removed any silicone residue where I could see it from the reseal. I'll snap a better picture tomorrow morning when I have some natural daylight again. Looking forward to at least attempting to get some plumbing done and maybe a bit of aragonite sand cleaning in before the day is over tomorrow.

You're very welcome! Any excuse to see that tank of yours. I'm just happy Muscles Mike was there to make us look good. I'd hate to throw my back out in front of the ladies rofl.gif . Which one was Gig'em?

Thanks all! The journey continues...

Didn't get a chance to rinse the sand but I did go buy all the parts I would need to plumb the tank and got moving on hard plumbing everything. Sump has been setup for now to cycle the new dry pukani rock from BRS while I plumb and fill the main display.

I forgot how bad cycling rock smells!

Went ahead and started the RO/DI drip in the main display so that I can start filling it up.

It's going to be a great looking tank. I kind of wish that I had started with uncured rock. It's way more exciting than dry rock! My decor' comes with a good story though.

Nothing like the holidays to delay your tank build spend time with your loved ones. shifty.gif

Finally got to rinse the sand and do some dry plumbing test runs. I'm still figuring out how best to run the plumbing as I keep tinkering with it. I'll update with a pic once I get a plumbing setup I like.

Even after rinsing each bag of sand twice, it still came out pretty cloudy, which was kind of to be expected with what I read of other's experiences with the special reef grade sand from Caribsea. Either way, I knew what I was getting into and I am not concerned about it as it will settle out. For now at least, I have a giant tank of chocolate milk. At least I have a good 2" of sand in the tank now.

20131230_173358_zpsjqfe0f4t.jpg

Definitely digging the walking space I have behind the tank. It was useful for plumbing the overflows and its going to definitely pay off when I have to do aquascaping and also cleaning the backglass.

20131227_081953_zpsujnxs56q.jpg

The to do list now includes:

1) finalizing the plumbing

2) building the canopy

3) skinning the stand

4) modding the Iwaki pumps so that they are quieter

5) waiting for everything to cycle

Thanks Ceastman. The pictures came out better than I expected with my cellphone. I hope to have the water running through the sump and through my skimmer soon once I finalize my plumbing. Hopefully that'll take care of the cloudiness.

Sascha- my plans were to run one straight return and one that has a manifold setup with my two external return pumps. I'm toying with the idea of running the manifold plumbing above the sump or at least along the back glass of the sump for easier connections to reactors and also in case there is a leak, at least it will just drip into the sump. The goal was to also tie the two return lines together with a ball valve so that in case one pump seizes up, I can just turn a couple of valves and have one pump at least continue to provide turnover through the sump while the other is being repaired/replaced.

Biggest issue now is to modify the return pumps to lessen the noise. The fan cooled Iwakis never had the reputation of being quiet. They were built to last and not for quietness. That would be great if I had a dedicated equipment room but these bad boys are underneath the stand. Most of the noise is because of the fan shroud and external fan on these pumps. I've read about people removing the stock fan (which sounds like a jet engine) and replacing it with a PC fan and just building a pvc shroud to mount it on the body of the pump. I may aim to try that this week or else look into some serious sound dampening once I skin the stand.

Archived