200+ animal deaths at Portland Aquarium

etannert

The big QT tanks I believe are out back. And if they were inside they'd be way in the back of the building where they were curing the live rock last time I was there. No space to have a shark tank while they're building

Odd I believe the city found the sharks inside and then they got relocated and the brothers wouldn't tell where they were.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly can't be sure on how much money you save doing less frequent water changes. I guess that, yea, the water bill would get pretty high if you're changing hundreds of gallons. But still, a lot of the fish don't require a permit.. You jniw , the "normal" fish lol and those can get pretty pricey as well. Sorry, I see a fish over $20 as expensive as balls lol <-poor :P

Didn't they have sharks in open top tanks with workers present?

The big QT tanks I believe are out back. And if they were inside they'd be way in the back of the building where they were curing the live rock last time I was there. No space to have a shark tank while they're building

Odd I believe the city found the sharks inside and then they got relocated and the brothers wouldn't tell where they were.

They did.

Once again they only corrected their actions when a whistle was blown.

They DID have sharks inside in open top tanks when workers were present, if they are outside now then thats where they are. BUT they were inside with workers doing construction.

As far as I know, they would have been in the back, which is separated from the worker via wall and door. I'm not arguing about them doing right or moving them. Just saying where they would have been. I think I'm the only person who has been at the site and talked with both brothers face to face. I figures I have a wee bit more experience in the AA department :)

People make it out to be like the workers were cutting drywall IN the shark tank, with the sharks teeth.

Evwything on the internet is true. The internet can't lie.

What we are documenting is the facts. We are not attempting to lie, misconstrue, streatch, fib, or misinterpert. We have already gotten warned about personal opinions and insulting people

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/28501-200-animal-deaths-at-portland-aquarium/?p=217661

so unless you would like to discuss the facts about the newest article you may but if you would like to share your personal opinions of your visit I would suggest creating your own post topic.

I was referring to the meme posted above. Literally quoted the commercial. Or I tried. Sorry I didn't use the quote reply. Things get buggy on my phone. I was discussing facts, and never said that anybody was lying, but it was very nice of you to assume that :) I spoke facts on what I saw when I was there, and who I spoke to, what happened, etc.

But then again most of the articles written by news reporters aren't really facts per se. Journalists can twist words ever so slightly to make things seem one way or the other. Not saying these guys are, even though one was fired for constantly doing that. Just pointing out that fact ;)

Not these articles, but like I said, not everything everyone says is true. It's hard to get hard solid facts. You have to fully trust the person you are interviewing. I used to be the sports editor of the high school paper. Def not the same as these journalists.. But I took my 'job' very seriously lol. People would straight up try to get me to quote lies. And I had some of my reporters publish their opinions rather than facts. Just human nature.

So every article is a lie or just certain ones? Let me know which articles you'd like to pick and choose are lies and I'll put a notation next to them so our other readers know their are published articles that are untrue and which ones they can believe in.

Oh my goodness someone is taking everything I say out of context. Look, I need you to take a breather, and calm down before you go all internet-warrior on me. Thanks :)

I'm not here to argue. I'm not here to change minds. If you are against the AA, more power to you, do you! I respect that. Now if you could respect the facts that I'M trying to say, that would be freaking awesome!

If I remember correctly, I didn't say these articles, nor did I say anyone was lying here. I never said anything of that matter. I've been extremely respectful and have just posted the facts of the matter. I'm sorry if it bothers you. Obviously you are very fired up about the whole AA situation. And that's okay, but there is no need to get all crazy sarcastic and make yourself out to appear very rude. I thought ARC was a place where we could all get along and discuss opinions without people getting overly butthurt over a simple matter.

You asked for facts, I gave them to you. Simple as that. You can't pick and chose which facts you want to add in. Choose what you want to believe. I believe that at least one of these guys has his heart in the right place. I cannot say the same for Ammon. I've been in the building, walked around, looked at the reptiles before they had to be moved. Everything was legit as far as I could tell. Then again I'm no expert. And neither are any of us for that matter. Who are we to judge others? I took a good hard look at myself before I looked at them. How many fish have I killed? How many times have I forgot to feed my dogs and cats and felt terrible about it? Shoot, how many times have I had to cull off fish that were overpopulating my tanks? There are much worse things going on in this world other than two dudes trying to put up an educational awesome aquarium for us to go to. I dont have the luxury of being able to drive to Dallas to see fish. So I'm pretty happy with what's going on. Like I said, I chose not to believe anything the press is all hyped up about until I see it. Oh, BTW, the whole KXAN news team are members of the Boycott Austin Aquarium group. Pretty biased if you ask me.

Let's keep this on topic and avoid personal attacks from both sides people. It's fine to have a difference of opinion but let's be nice to each other, we're all in the hobby because we enjoy the animals.

Let's keep this on topic and avoid personal attacks from both sides people. It's fine to have a difference of opinion but let's be nice to each other, we're all in the hobby because we enjoy the animals.

I agree no personal attacks, and trying to stay on topic.

While staying on topic, MOST people are in the hobby because they enjoy the animals.... others enjoy money more.

To be honest.. If like to site myself as a source for my facts :) I'm only saying what I know. Not what I think. I know where things are located in the building. I shouldn't need a source for that :P i ran, I can try to get blueprints lol

A source can be anything a source. What makes a newspaper or internet link more credible than my eyeballs? I think my eyes are pretty accurate ;)

I hope we all love animals here :D cause I know I do!

and because we all love animals we kinda have a bad feeling about these guys. I, as im sure all of the members here would love a public aquarium. but not at the expense of bad treatment and or neglect to the animals we are planning to admire. that's why im not big on attending a circus. they are notorious for mistreating their beautiful animals. I don't want my money to be a part of such mistreatment. it makes me feel like im condoning such behavior. im not sure if the circus animals are being mistreated or not but its in my head from news articles and other forms of media showing cases of mistreatment. anyway that's my 2 cents and I hope that these brothers do get it right because I do want Austin to have an awesome aquarium. alas they did start of bad already.

It does not show they wanted to do it right, it shows they got caught.

You don't have to believe a former employee. You might be more inclined to believe the federal government who has removed the puffins for lack of permit, and successfully prosecuted one of the covino brothers for obtaining animals without a permit. they then went on to build the AA without proper permits. At best, it's a pattern of willful ignorance. At worse it's malicious.

It does not show they wanted to do it right, it shows they got caught.

You don't have to believe a former employee. You might be more inclined to believe the federal government who has removed the puffins for lack of permit, and successfully prosecuted one of the covino brothers for obtaining animals without a permit. they then went on to build the AA without proper permits. At best, it's a pattern of willful ignorance. At worse it's malicious.

yeah I agree. its hard not to do it if the fuzz is all over you on it lol

Archived