200+ animal deaths at Portland Aquarium

etannert

PETA gets a bad rap for some of their methods but they do get results and provide us with information that we would of otherwise never known was happening such as dolphin cove killings, whale hunts, dogs in small cages getting thrown off of trucks, and inhumane cow deaths. Most people don't want to watch the graphic videos because if they don't watch them then they can pretend it doesn't exist. It's the same premise as a puppy mill, if you know the dogs are not taken care you want action to be done just the same that if you know someone is purposely killing fish you'd want it to stop.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happened to be at HalfPrice Books with the wife and saw the YNN news truck drive by.

There are about 15-20 people standing by the road with their 'AUSTIN AQUARIUM KILLS FISHES!' signs.

Didn't see anyone from the club.

Smelled like patchouli.

http://austin.ynn.com/content/news/295218/federal-agency-seizes-puffins-from-idaho-aquarium

Animals taken from the Idaho aquarium becauuuuse........drummroolllllll........waiiiit fooorrr itttt.....you guys are never gonna guess why its totally not something that has happened like 8x already...........

NO FREAKING PERMIT.

Somebody check's these guys wallet's for a driver's license, because I have a sneaking suspicion they're not permitted to drive.

I'm sorry victoly but according to Mlaw this is the same issues just different aquarium so we can't post it

When you have something that contains new information please say so. I keep opening these links hoping to see something new and getting the same old "facts" over and over again.

I'm sorry victoly but according to Mlaw this is the same issues just different aquarium so we can't post it

When you have something that contains new information please say so. I keep opening these links hoping to see something new and getting the same old "facts" over and over again.

pretty sure this is the first I've heard of federal seizure of animals. It did happen in april (another puffin died in their care, and the public could feed them, and there were drink cups left in the exhibit from a party) so it's pretty amazing they've been able to keep it tight lipped until now.

They actually have all of the permits they need here in Austin, they're taped up on the front door if you'd like to see them with your eyeballs :) They made a mistake keeping animals there at first, and assumed they could. The moment the city asked them to move the animals, they did. They're laid down a ton of concrete and the place is starting too look like an aquarium now. Pretty stoked. WOOT!

To be honest I'll never believe anything a 'former' employee of anywhere has to say about the company that fired them. But that's just me.

You don't have to believe a former employee. You might be more inclined to believe the federal government who has removed the puffins for lack of permit, and successfully prosecuted one of the covino brothers for obtaining animals without a permit. they then went on to build the AA without proper permits. At best, it's a pattern of willful ignorance. At worse it's malicious.

That brother always seemed shady to me :/ I'm just the type of person that is VERY non judgemental :)

They corrected their mistakes here.. Which should count for something. If they really were as bad as you are all making them out to be they would've kept the animals on site.. And never gotten permits. They wouldn't care at all. As far as what I've seen with being there.. Everything looks legit. The animals I saw are very well taken care of and Vince is a very knowledgeable man with regards to reptiles as well as fish. You can't fake knowledge :)

Just my .02 I hate to always see negative posts about them and AA as a whole when there are caring people like myself that would like to work there and spoil these animals

That brother always seemed shady to me :/ I'm just the type of person that is VERY non judgemental smile.png

They corrected their mistakes here.. Which should count for something. If they really were as bad as you are all making them out to be they would've kept the animals on site.. And never gotten permits. They wouldn't care at all. As far as what I've seen with being there.. Everything looks legit. The animals I saw are very well taken care of and Vince is a very knowledgeable man with regards to reptiles as well as fish. You can't fake knowledge smile.png

Just my .02 I hate to always see negative posts about them and AA as a whole when there are caring people like myself that would like to work there and spoil these animals

Can you send me the info on Vince's education or how he's so knowledgeable? We've been making a timeline of strictly facts and it would be nice to know more about him because from everything I read he was a broker a year prior to starting up his first aquarium.

That brother always seemed shady to me :/ I'm just the type of person that is VERY non judgemental smile.png

They corrected their mistakes here.. Which should count for something. If they really were as bad as you are all making them out to be they would've kept the animals on site.. And never gotten permits. They wouldn't care at all. As far as what I've seen with being there.. Everything looks legit. The animals I saw are very well taken care of and Vince is a very knowledgeable man with regards to reptiles as well as fish. You can't fake knowledge smile.png

To be transparent, they only fixed their mistakes AFTER they got busted. If you read some of the articles on the covino/conk livestock acquisition debacle, they actively try to cover up their illegal activities by telling their vendor to "delete all phone records and texts" (NSA is like lol ok....).

There is a lengthy history here of shady behavior, and remedy only comes after someone blows the whistle. Be very careful about your potential employment there, it would be shame to see an ARC member end up with federal charges like two Covino Aquarium employees/owners already have.

To be transparent, they only fixed their mistakes AFTER they got busted. If you read some of the articles on the covino/conk livestock acquisition debacle, they actively try to cover up their illegal activities by telling their vendor to "delete all phone records and texts" (NSA is like lol ok....).

There is a lengthy history here of shady behavior, and remedy only comes after someone blows the whistle. Be very careful about your potential employment there, it would be shame to see an ARC member end up with federal charges like two Covino Aquarium employees/owners already have.

and here is a link to the entire timeline of events and upcoming events http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/28501-200-animal-deaths-at-portland-aquarium/?p=217288

and here is a link to the entire timeline of events and upcoming events http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/28501-200-animal-deaths-at-portland-aquarium/?p=217288

Yowza, if you need to change the water less frequently in a single tank to save money, you're gonna have a bad time.

Now all the allegations about animals health vs. Saving money makes no sense to me. In the long run if an animal dies.. It'll cost way more to replace it than the money saved by doing less frequent water changes. So I'm pretty doubtful that happened.

Of course I can't produce any article or facts on his education. You don't need a formal education to be knowledgeable on animals. Do any of us have formal education in aquariums? I know I don't.. Yet I know more about FW aquariums than most people my age. :) just from talking to him he knew what he was talking about. Sure, he may have looked up that info in the internet, but at least he's doing his research and learning. He was telling me all about his chameleons and we talked about my Leopard Geckos. My Oscar, my pond. He was a really cool guy.

Believe me I'm the last person that will do anything illegal aside from speeding and doing burnouts ;) I can promise you I won't give ARC a bad name. If anything happens to me like that I'd separate myself from the club so you guys wouldn't get tarnished for my mistakes. But I'm always vigilant. I can promise nothing will happen with me. If they do illegal things, that's on them :)

sharks love drywall dust bro

did you apprentice under covino?

Most people that care for the animals will keep them away from that stuff.

Now all the allegations about animals health vs. Saving money makes no sense to me. In the long run if an animal dies.. It'll cost way more to replace it than the money saved by doing less frequent water changes. So I'm pretty doubtful that happened.

It WOULD cost more to replace certain animals, others not so much. Especially if you avoid getting the permits, which cost money, to lower your cost.

Archived