200+ animal deaths at Portland Aquarium

etannert

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So just to recap, there was smoke, and then the fire became readily apparent. For those who didn't read through the article, One of the Covino brothers (aquarium owners) pleaded guilty to illegally obtaining animals. But don't worry guys, he's not gonna be a part of it once it opens, so everything is good.

oh my yes. 575 people liking a facebook page certainly means that the mothers of austin are more sensitive to the plight of fish than their Portland counterparts. Let's be honest folks. It's going to open and people are going to go.

Tank-Man1.jpg

From what I understand they haven't even acquired the proper permits to begin construction. I find this interesting as I keep getting advertisements in the mail offering an annual pass at 50% off for the NW Austin location. However, I never see construction or anyone at the NW location (I live close by) . Doesn't it seem odd to take money from people for a business that hasn't even opened it's doors OR began construction? All the death rates aside - this is an issue for all to consider.

I hope that Austin Aquarium comes clean, gets the proper permits and opens those doors to some awesome aquatic life!! One can dream smile.png

From what I understand they haven't even acquired the proper permits to begin construction. I find this interesting as I keep getting advertisements in the mail offering an annual pass at 50% off for the NW Austin location. However, I never see construction or anyone at the NW location (I live close by) . Doesn't it seem odd to take money from people for a business that hasn't even opened it's doors OR began construction? All the death rates aside - this is an issue for all to consider.

I hope Austin Aquarium comes clean, gets the proper permits and opens those doors to some awesome aquatic life!! One can dream smile.png

Have you not seen the massive holding tanks that appeared on the back side? They are also doing interior work often and without permits.

FWIW in that article the brothers are offering refunds for anyone who already bought a season pass. Seems odd to me that someone would start back pedaling this soon unless they knew how bad it really was.

Enron come to mind wink.png And no, I don't hang out in the back behind businesses. Glad to hear they are working without permits.

I do hope they open as I am excited as everyone else to have aquariums of this magnitude in Austin!

I've been by the Austin location. It's right across the highway from my office. They are definitely working. All internal stuff. Other than the sign you can't tell that anything is happening but I have seen the moving stuff in and out.

As for the permit issue this is incredibly common in commercial construction. There are more permits and red tape than can be handled. It's a temporary issue that will be resolved.

I can't wait to see what the details are of the guilty plea that was entered. I'm betting slap on the wrist and fine.

As this story continues to develop, i just keep thinking to myself, these guys always seem to be taking shortcuts and teetering between legal/illegal, ethical/unethical. In any profession, it's not that much harder to give the extra 10% to do something the right way (i.e., wait until you get proper permitting before construction, get your AZA accreditation, don't obtain animals illegally, get out in front of the multiple employee leaks that paint you in a terrible light). I've noticed that now that all of the "legal issues" that prevented the austin aquarium from posting here have subsided, we're now four pages deep with nary a peep from shauno. paging shauno. pitch the club, because this door is rapidly closing (for me at least).

I'm w/ Mike on this one. We should reserve our judgement until the facts are all out. And if the aquarium wants to invite us for a behind the scenes tour, count me in. Maybe as Victoly says they are trying to get some free positive PR. I wouldn't blame them for that. And no I don't think our opinion on the matter makes much difference as hobiiest. By in large the public does not view our site and it's doutful we'll take to the streets in support for these guys good or bad.

Remember Portland is Austin's unofficial sister city and we share the same slogan keeping it wierd. And I wouldn't want to say this city or theirs is uhhhh... shhh... a bunch of tree huggers...(I know thats not nice) but I can't figgure another way to express the fact that I get many many knocks on the door to support many ultra consevative conservation efforts, from no more motorized boats on the flats down on the coast to save seagrass to banning of all recreational fishing. I mean really!

We all know it does not take a large group of people to stir up something in this town stir...stir...stir ! And I can attest to new projects getting poo poo'd because of a spider or such. Look at the Lake Line Mall project delayed for years and a cost of millions to the developers because of ultra conservatives worries. And to what avail? When it all quiets down and the focus is on something new the developer proceeds on anyway. Heck at one facility I work in here in Austin they own an acre that can not be developed because of the illusive spider that feeds an even more allusive bird unless of course they pay the city a premium on their permits. Really! So parking in that facility means parking on the roadway and hiking in.

The city of Austin and the people of Austin need to let these guys build their aquarium and run it the best way they know how. And if that is not up to standards then we can play hardball. Personally I'd like to see a nice aquarium in this city. And by the way there is plenty of parking at the old Lacks building.

As this story continues to develop, i just keep thinking to myself, these guys always seem to be taking shortcuts and teetering between legal/illegal, ethical/unethical. In any profession, it's not that much harder to give the extra 10% to do something the right way (i.e., wait until you get proper permitting before construction, get your AZA accreditation, don't obtain animals illegally, get out in front of the multiple employee leaks that paint you in a terrible light). I've noticed that now that all of the "legal issues" that prevented the austin aquarium from posting here have subsided, we're now four pages deep with nary a peep from shauno. paging shauno. pitch the club, because this door is rapidly closing (for me at least).

Right now im in the middle of obtaining building permits for a historical section of the town here. I could easily go around it and do work myself then have it inspected but it just makes red tape get thrown harder at my door.

I agree 100% it does not take but a few moments of your day to do it the right way instead of trying to cut corners. Why let them cut corners and stand around and wait until we see animal death with our own eyes? Why not force them to do it the right way from the start.

Why not force them to do it the right way from the start.

how? when was the last time you saw public outcry beat large commercial businesses? we're talking big box retail money here, not the groovy lube or some other local business. every walmart gets protested, but they all open and stay open when the same people that yelled start buying stuff there. not you, i know, you mentioned.

starbucks is the same way, for all the people whining about starbucks and telling us to buy local, there are still 4 starbucks within a 5 minute drive from my house. and those are just the ones i know about. there are probably more in the grocery stores that i don't notice.

basically, the businesses know that all the whining does not affect their profits. it is just a thing that they deal with (more likely ignore) while it is being built and then welcome everyone's money as soon as it opens. our outcries just aren't ever big enough to matter. i doubt that we, and our friends, are the primary profit source. most likely, we will get the hollow victory of "i'm never shopping here again", but whatever goes on will go on.

I'm w/ Mike on this one. We should reserve our judgement until the facts are all out. And if the aquarium wants to invite us for a behind the scenes tour, count me in. Maybe as Victoly says they are trying to get some free positive PR. I wouldn't blame them for that. And no I don't think our opinion on the matter makes much difference as hobiiest. By in large the public does not view our site and it's doutful we'll take to the streets in support for these guys good or bad.

Remember Portland is Austin's unofficial sister city and we share the same slogan keeping it wierd. And I wouldn't want to say this city or theirs is uhhhh... shhh... a bunch of tree huggers...(I know thats not nice) but I can't figgure another way to express the fact that I get many many knocks on the door to support many ultra consevative conservation efforts, from no more motorized boats on the flats down on the coast to save seagrass to banning of all recreational fishing. I mean really!

We all know it does not take a large group of people to stir up something in this town stir...stir...stir ! And I can attest to new projects getting poo poo'd because of a spider or such. Look at the Lake Line Mall project delayed for years and a cost of millions to the developers because of ultra conservatives worries. And to what avail? When it all quiets down and the focus is on something new the developer proceeds on anyway. Heck at one facility I work in here in Austin they own an acre that can not be developed because of the illusive spider that feeds an even more allusive bird unless of course they pay the city a premium on their permits. Really! So parking in that facility means parking on the roadway and hiking in.

The city of Austin and the people of Austin need to let these guys build their aquarium and run it the best way they know how. And if that is not up to standards then we can play hardball. Personally I'd like to see a nice aquarium in this city. And by the way there is plenty of parking at the old Lacks building.

The facts thus far is that Amonn Covino has signed a plea deal for illegally obtaining animals. That speaks to character, and I don't know why anyone would think that the rest of the business is suddenly and magically operated with superior scruples.

oh hey look his nephew was convicted of obstruction of justice!

"He allegedly directed one of the business owners “to erase all the text messages, and emails, or any other evidence” linking the Florida business to Ammon Covino, the uncle of defendant Peter Covino, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office."

http://www.kivitv.com/news/Nephew-of-Idaho-Aquarium-director-convicted-of-obstruction-of-justice-216934891.html

And here's a big shocker from that article:

According to the charges, the wildlife included spotted eagle rays and lemon sharks, for which the required Florida licenses and permits were never acquired.

I see a pattern here....

how? when was the last time you saw public outcry beat large commercial businesses? we're talking big box retail money here, not the groovy lube or some other local business. every walmart gets protested, but they all open and stay open when the same people that yelled start buying stuff there. not you, i know, you mentioned.

starbucks is the same way, for all the people whining about starbucks and telling us to buy local, there are still 4 starbucks within a 5 minute drive from my house. and those are just the ones i know about. there are probably more in the grocery stores that i don't notice.

basically, the businesses know that all the whining does not affect their profits. it is just a thing that they deal with (more likely ignore) while it is being built and then welcome everyone's money as soon as it opens. our outcries just aren't ever big enough to matter. i doubt that we, and our friends, are the primary profit source. most likely, we will get the hollow victory of "i'm never shopping here again", but whatever goes on will go on.

this place doesnt have wal mart or starbucks money. if they did, they'd just get the freaking permits the first time around.

this place doesnt have wal mart or starbucks money. if they did, they'd just get the freaking permits the first time around.

I have no knowledge to speak of large construction permits. Small one either, for that matter. But as has been said, time will tell.

I do lots of construction for a living and most of the time waiting on all the permits can get rediculous. You will go broke waiting on them. If you can get away with it why not do it? I've killed a lot of fish and I have never had a tank bigger than 65g, I bet they have a whole bunch of them. Hope we get to do a back stage tour! If your Gona bash them or talk negatively about them you should wait for them to open and give an honest opinion rather than echo bad rumors and reviews.

I do lots of construction for a living and most of the time waiting on all the permits can get rediculous. You will go broke waiting on them. If you can get away with it why not do it? I've killed a lot of fish and I have never had a tank bigger than 65g, I bet they have a whole bunch of them. Hope we get to do a back stage tour! If your Gona bash them or talk negatively about them you should wait for them to open and give an honest opinion rather than echo bad rumors and reviews.

I agree, anything less is just cheap talk! One has the right to speculate in this country all they want, but that don't make it right!!!!

If they screw this up then I would be the first one on the band wagon to shut them down. But they too have the right to give it a try. Noone knows the circumstances of how they got into trouble with permits or lack of them. Could have been honest mistakes who knows. And ignorance of the law does not make it right so plea deals are done. OK But that doesn't giver us a right to try their morals in a court of opinion on the internet! Just simmer down! Simmer down!

I agree, anything less is just cheap talk! One has the right to speculate in this country all they want, but that don't make it right!!!!

If they screw this up then I would be the first one on the band wagon to shut them down. But they too have the right to give it a try. Noone knows the circumstances of how they got into trouble with permits or lack of them. Could have been honest mistakes who knows. And ignorance of the law does not make it right so plea deals are done. OK But that doesn't giver us a right to try their morals in a court of opinion on the internet! Just simmer down! Simmer down!

You can go first...

Pertness aside, any teacher can tell you that yelling at those who've already raised their voices will just lead to a sore throat.

(And yes, I'm posting from my district convocation.)

Archived