Putty/Cement for Rock Scape, What works?!

Juiceman

I started working on my New Aquascape, I purchased plenty of JB Water Weld. The first 2 simple 3 rock formations I tried to make didn't hold. I don't want to waste the rest of the JB Water weld if it's not going to work. What else do I need to use?

wear gloves

wear gloves

wear gloves

mix small batches at a time

make a thick paste...oatmeal like consistency

form into a ball put between the two pieces you want to join...press firmly

make another ball and use like you would bondo or wood filler around the connection you just made

support the structure while it drys...allow 2-4 hours for drying (longer the better)

support from the bottom while moving

yeah egg crate will help, I personally staked mine so many times until I found a structure that was a solid support, place it on egg crate in the tank then covered the remaining area with sand so it couldnt shift at all.

I'm doing this with live rock. Is that going to be an issue for drying?

Should I do a bottom of some type like egg crate etc?

I did this with live rock. I used towels, got them pretty damp with tank water then wrapped the curing pieces for about 5 hours keeping the towels slightly damp. Worked well.

for quite some time i had no idea what this miracle cement was.. then one afternoon, I was patching our little outdoor pond and thats when I noticed the 'hydraulic cement' at the bottom of the bag...

oh yah, i highly recommend supporting the structure from the base, and any top heavy sections of the piece. Even though it'll be 'dry' its fairly brittle at this stage.

has anyone tested for phosphates after using this on live rock using the short timer method?

oh yah, i highly recommend supporting the structure from the base, and any top heavy sections of the piece.  Even though it'll be 'dry' its fairly brittle at this stage.

has anyone tested for phosphates after using this on live rock using the short timer method?

No idea what that method is but I did a Hanna check on the tank weekly as it sat and never saw a rise

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

The Hydraulic Cement is working very well. Here's my first rock structures that i've made.

IMG_10101.JPG

IMG_10111.JPG

I found it hard to make much unnatural formations and have the rock
stay there long enough to cure and hold. I'm going to try some more
risky stuff and see what happens as I go!.

:) I had some pretty off balance stuff, It looked funny, I used chop sticks (thank you Panda Express) and wire ties to provide support to the heavier areas that needed to stay in place while it cured.

Archived