55G lagoon setup at 6 months..

subsea

I was out at Patrick's place Friday afternoon. The rock he has out there currently has SO much biodiversity it is astonishing: crabs, snails, starfish, pods, clams, scallops, gorgonians, sponges of every color imaginable, colorful rock anemones, and of course...macro. I even found a red squat lobster.

Your lagoon looks great! I love seeing Molly's in something other than freshwater tanks!

Thanks for the compliment. I find these lagoon biothemes to be almost self maintaining. For that same reason, I use fish that are inexpensive and peaceful as community schooling fish. These Creamcycle Lyretail Mollies were purchased from Petsmart for $1.19 each. They are good grazers of micro and macro algae. While I have had the Common Black Mollie breed in full strength saltwater, the hybrids not so. These Creamcycles have tripled in size since introduced 6 months ago.

The baby mollies actually are high protein after the second generation and provide nutrition for marine predators. Sea Robin enjoys the chase.

Your lagoon looks great! I love seeing Molly's in something other than freshwater tanks!

Thanks for the compliment. I find these lagoon biothemes to be almost self maintaining. For that same reason, I use fish that are inexpensive and peaceful as community schooling fish. These Creamcycle Lyretail Mollies were purchased from Petsmart for $1.19 each. They are good grazers of micro and macro algae. While I have had the Common Black Mollie breed in full strength saltwater, the hybrids not so. These Creamcycles have tripled in size since introduced 6 months ago.

The baby mollies actually are high protein after the second generation and provide nutrition for marine predators. Sea Robin enjoys the chase.

We do so poorly with mollies here it is almost comical. The current one is coming up on 2 months old and that may set a record. We've had fish live more than five years, but the hearty Molly, nah.

Nice lagoon. I'm going to be starting mine hopefully in the next few months.

Come back and visit or come out to the facility and see some lagoons up close.

Patrick

How do you acclimate your mollies? Tank looks great!

Thank you on the tank compliment. In the case of the lagoon, it seems that the less that I intervene, the better the tank looks. My aquarium husbandry can be summed up as "a minimalist method". I have found a 4 hour drip to be appropriate. I normally lose 10% within the first 24 hours. Most of the fish that die can be identified during the drip. I buy these mollies on sale for $1.19. While almost all mollie types can be adjusted to full strength salt, I have found only the Black Mollies to reproduce in salt water. In the wild, I caught numerous Green Mollies along with Grass Shrimp in both fresh and brackish waters. These mollies have proven to be great herbivores as well as hi protein feed for marine predators.

Patrick

do you do anything special to get little mollies? Everytime ours breed they are all eaten by the time we notice the finished pregnancy. Although, now they are in a planted aquarium with a grass bed, so we may end up getting some that can hide.

Mollies make perfect dither fish. They stay in the open and encourage other fish to come out. They are good herbivores and multiply rapidly. After the second generation in saltwater, the nutritional value of mollies is enhanced enough to feed marine predators. They grow three times the size in normal fresh water tanks.

Patrick

Archived