Plumbing for reef ready tank

KimP

I'm getting a reef ready 90 gal on Tue and need to figure out what I'll need to get this thing up and running. It has one overflow and 2 holes at the bottom. I don't know a thing about having a drilled tank or a sump. Can anyone steer me towards some ideas of a good kit to buy or what parts I might need? Aquadome said they carry a kit. I don't know what brand or if it's a good one.<br /><br />

like Bio asked and the kit at Aquadome will probly work if its a standard reef ready tank. One hole will be the drain, one hole will be the return from sump. Its pretty easy to hook up. If the tank doesn't have bulkheads in the 2 holes then you will have to get them.. Don't over tighten these. Good luck reefing.

Not sure what plumbing it comes with, but you'll most likely want to setup a durso standpipe. This should reduce noise a lot compared to other setups. I usually try to use locline on the return so i can route it in the tank as needed. It's a little intimidating at first to set one up, but once you have a tank with a good sump setup, you wont want to go back to anything else.

+1 Yes, one drain one return, and as jestep said you'll want a durso standpipe. I had to make a compact one to fit in my corner overflow to make it the size I wanted, but pretty easy overall.

Not sure what plumbing it comes with, but you'll most likely want to setup a durso standpipe. This should reduce noise a lot compared to other setups. I usually try to use locline on the return so i can route it in the tank as needed. It's a little intimidating at first to set one up, but once you have a tank with a good sump setup, you wont want to go back to anything else.<br />

Durso standpipe, okay I'll look into it. I thought there might be different kinds. Thank you!

Oh, one thing to remember, on the return line, you may need a syphon break, if the return opening is below the waterline. Otherwise when the return pump is off water will drain down the "return" line and could overflow your sump. Most put a small hole right at the corner of the 90 just before the return to the tank. As long as it is above the waterline it will introduce air stopping the syphon. Water will exit that hole when the pump is on, so point it back into the tank. :) When I added mine I was not happy with the sound it added, so I added a small piece of tubing into the hole and routed it out along the same path as the water return, right at the water line. If the pump is off the water drops and air is introduced.

100 different ways to do it.

I just aim my return nozzle toward the surface and it breaks about 2 seconds after I turn off the pump. About 1/2 the nozzle is above the water surface during normal operating. I get much better surface agitation this way as well. Some returns are too low to do this though.

good timing on this post kim for I as well am getting a 90g one overflow system and it will be my first sump smile.png

Yay for all the new 90 gallons going up!!

+1 Yes, one drain one return, and as jestep said you'll want a durso standpipe. I had to make a compact one to fit in my corner overflow to make it the size I wanted, but pretty easy overall.

You made yours? With parts from a hardware store? Did you follow plans or make it up?

Yes I did. Used 1" PVC for the drain, and I think it was 3/4" for the return. The durso standpipe is very common, if you just Google "durso standpipe" you'll find a lot of info. This video is a huge standpipe, but shows you what you need to do.:

This page has a bunch of info: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/make-your-own-diy.

I'd also look at the overflow that Mitch pointed out: Hofer Gurgle Buster It looks interesting, I don't know much about it tho. Maybe Mitch or someone have more details on the DIY. But I expect both are well within your skill level to build!

good timing on this post kim for I as well am getting a 90g one overflow system and it will be my first sump smile.png

Yay for all the new 90 gallons going up!!

I wanted to upgrade from my 50g corner tank and wanted to make a one time upgrade. IMO 90 is the perfect size for a "BIG" tank. (ill probably be eating these words when im ready for a 100something-200gallon)

Archived