Let's make a Controller, and other fun uses for Arduino

Capt. Obvious

I don't know if you are aware that there is actually controller made on the base of arduino, it is Reef Angel. I am using this controller and I am very happy with it. It is run based on the open source software and covers all possible gizmos you can imagine in the reef tank. It is constantly improving and expanding, also is relatively cheap comparing to other controllers on the market. Check out the website and forum and you will find a lot of help even if you plan on making it by yourself. http://www.reefangel.com/

there are about 50 controllers based an arduino if not more ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in for the ride. Bought an arduino due what else do i need?

I got the due also so we can help each other with issues.

Fyi. I found out that inputs and outputs one the due are 3.3v not 5. So we will need to drop the voltage somehow, where necessary.

no, you will be fine..there is a 5v pin on the due

to begin, please make sure you have the Arduinio software installed, in addition you will need the following libraries:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/arduino_libraries/OneWire.zip

http://download.milesburton.com/Arduino/MaximTemperature/DallasTemperature_372Beta.zip

and

http://www.hacktronics.com/code/one_wire_address_finder.zip

I am redoing the screen capture and will post it tonight if youtube cooperates

I am in for the ride. Bought an arduino due what else do i need?

I got the due also so we can help each other with issues.

Fyi. I found out that inputs and outputs one the due are 3.3v not 5. So we will need to drop the voltage somehow, where necessary.

no, you will be fine..there is a 5v pin on the due

I looked into this and here is what i found:

Warning: Unlike other Arduino boards, the Arduino Due board runs at 3.3V. The maximum voltage that the I/O pins can tolerate is 3.3V. Providing higher voltages, like 5V to an I/O pin could damage the board.

Here is the source

How exactly this affects those of us using the Due, i have no idea.

aggie...we are not "providing" 5v to the board...we are taking 5v from the board

from the same source;

5V. This pin outputs a regulated 5V from the regulator on the board. The board can be supplied with power either from the DC power jack (7 - 12V), the USB connector (5V), or the VIN pin of the board (7-12V). Supplying voltage via the 5V or 3.3V pins bypasses the regulator, and can damage your board. We don't advise it.

however, if for safety you desire to power devices from the 3.3v pin you will be fine (case in point the ds18b20 takes an input voltage of 3-5v dc)

I guess that is where I got confused. Electricity is not my strong suit. Volts watts amp ohms whats the difference? I know I use 360Joules to restart someones heart. I have never been a hardware person so forgive me for being nervous.

for safety simply use the 3.3v pin to power your breadboard rather than the 5v and you should be fine.

1.21 jigawatts can send you back to the future

I guess that is where I got confused. Electricity is not my strong suit. Volts watts amp ohms whats the difference? I know I use 360Joules to restart someones heart. I have never been a hardware person so forgive me for being nervous.

for safety simply use the 3.3v pin to power your breadboard rather than the 5v and you should be fine.

1.21 jigawatts can send you back to the future

What..... Thats not right you need a flux compacitor and be driving 96 mph

I've been researching quite a bit on these two sites.. Lot's of good info.

www.arduino.cc/

www.openreefs.com/

Capt., can you explain shields? I don't understand them. I've seen arduino shields, lcd shields, etc.

Archived