Our ARC Board Software - Tips and Tricks

In a recent thread a user mentioned how difficult it was to try and monitor all the forums on our site here. I pointed out that there is a "View New Content" button at the top right that will show you everything new since the last time you logged on. That made me think that there must be a ton of other things that we "senior" ARC users know or take for granted, so I thought I'd create and pin a thread where people can ask questions and get tips from other users (screenshots should help).

So to start, Hey, did you know that you can click the "View New Content" button in the top right of the site in order to see everything knew since the last time you logged on? biggrin.png

post-884-0-71591400-1352431791_thumb.png

there should be some way to change the tehem of the board, I just dont remember how right this second. never looked into it on ARC but used to use it on other forums.

At the bottom left of the page is a "Change Theme" link that you can click on.

post-249-0-82458500-1352471802.png

Edited by mFrame (Mike)
fixed location

Another tip: You have the ability to preview the first few posts in a forum thread without opening it or clicking on the full thread.

In the main forum view mouse over the topic until you see a black circle with a down arrow. Click on that circle.

post-884-0-50237700-1352486463_thumb.png

then you'll see a quick preview of the topic like this:

post-884-0-62394000-1352486471_thumb.png

Click on the black circle with an X to close the preview.

so the mobile version used to work on my android now i get more errors than anything. anyone else having issues or do i need to stop buying fish that die and get a galaxy s 3 lol?

Quite a few variables here so we'll try to narrow it down. Android Version? Browser version? Any particular error messages or symptoms?

I know that on my Galaxy Note that the latest version of Chrome crashes frequently on all sorts of sites.

• 5 months later...

Tip: When you find a thread you want to keep track of you can use the "Follow this topic" at the top right of the page.

To check up on those posts you can then click the down arrow next to your name (far top right) and pick the "Content I Follow" option

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

How to add a picture to your post:

post-884-0-13993600-1468288510_thumb.png

(If you're not creating a new thread, but rather responding, click the "More Reply Options" button at the top of the 'Reply to this topic' box.)

The problem w/ adding pics like that is that 75% of them get posted sideways. Honestly one of the only complaints I have about this site/software. Hotlinking eliminates that.

As I look through the earlier posts in this thread, I notice something I've come across, which is being able to follow a thread w/o posting in it. On another forum I frequent, I can elect to automatically subscribe to any thread I post in, as well as subscribe to other threads w/o posting. That allows me to primarily follow my subscribed threads (I set that as my bookmark), and then look at new content. Here, that's 3 groupings instead of 2. Honestly not enough traffic here for it to be a big deal, but if that function exists here, can someone point me to it please?

The problem w/ adding pics like that is that 75% of them get posted sideways. Honestly one of the only complaints I have about this site/software. Hotlinking eliminates that.

As I look through the earlier posts in this thread, I notice something I've come across, which is being able to follow a thread w/o posting in it. On another forum I frequent, I can elect to automatically subscribe to any thread I post in, as well as subscribe to other threads w/o posting. That allows me to primarily follow my subscribed threads (I set that as my bookmark), and then look at new content. Here, that's 3 groupings instead of 2. Honestly not enough traffic here for it to be a big deal, but if that function exists here, can someone point me to it please?

Interesting, I've never had the issue with pics posting sideways, but I have all of mine rotated before trying to upload them.

There is a pending significant upgrade to the site software that ARC uses. I've delayed upgrading because of bugs, missing features, etc., but will most likely be pushed into using it by the end of the year. There are quite a variety of changes that will come when that happens.

Interesting, I've never had the issue with pics posting sideways, but I have all of mine rotated before trying to upload them.

Surely you've seen the dozens of posts from others that have their pics posted sideways, yes? Rotation doesn't always hold from one format to another. I just hooked up an external hard drive I've had for probably 5 years, w/ pics going back 10+ years on it, to my laptop w/ Win10 on it...about 80% of the pics are back to the original orientation. Many times people rotate their pics and then upload them to a site like this and the edit doesn't hold. I can only speculate that's what is going on, and not that people are just saying "screw it" and uploading pics sideways.

There is a pending significant upgrade to the site software that ARC uses. I've delayed upgrading because of bugs, missing features, etc., but will most likely be pushed into using it by the end of the year. There are quite a variety of changes that will come when that happens.

I have to rotate every image I post 4 times back to it's original position and save it to prevent them from posting sideways.

Surely you've seen the dozens of posts from others that have their pics posted sideways, yes? Rotation doesn't always hold from one format to another. I just hooked up an external hard drive I've had for probably 5 years, w/ pics going back 10+ years on it, to my laptop w/ Win10 on it...about 80% of the pics are back to the original orientation. Many times people rotate their pics and then upload them to a site like this and the edit doesn't hold. I can only speculate that's what is going on, and not that people are just saying "screw it" and uploading pics sideways.

I've definitely seen the sideways pics, but as an exception and not as a rule. I had assumed (wrongly?) that many were just uploading them that way. Given the number of Hardware/OS/browser variations it's difficult to troubleshoot the specifics. Additionally apps like Tapatalk that change frequently compound the issues, so I generally try to deal with the most significant issues reported by multiple users. Behind the scenes I spend quite a bit of time troubleshooting, fixing, and when there is not an issue, educating users. That's the primary reason for the "how to upload a pic". As always, if you're having an issue with the software please let me or a mod know and we'll do our best to resolve it.

• Like 1

I have to rotate every image I post 4 times back to it's original position and save it to prevent them from posting sideways.

Noted, I'll continue to dig into this one.

Are you using the basic uploader or the flash uploader? Can you tell me what type of device, browser, and browser version you're using?