tips for someone that has never been to port aransas?

Bannerfish

I'm looking into a trip to port aransas, haven't decided on a date. My main objective is to go collecting and just have fun in the water in general, but besides the saltwater collection permit, is there anything else I need to know or get to do it legally? We will prob stay a few days at least, anyone have suggestions on what else is a must see that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Thanks in advance!

When collecting on the jetty; wear a headlamp type flashlight, wear shoes that secure to your foot('tennis'shoes, Teva or Keen like sandals). Flip flops wont cut it.

If you are staying somewhere that has a kitchen, stop for groceries before you get there as there's nothing close to an HEB on the island(at least not that we found). Not much to eat on the island that is cheap(Subway was the only thing we found).

for heb jump the ferry and there is HEB.... buy ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING OFF THE ISLAND!

just as an example, If I ride the ferry over and hit the bati shop shrimp is $7 per QT of live bait shrimp... they are LARGE shrimp also... on the island the same QT of shrimp is $16 bucks and they are all smaller than my hooks.

Good to know! The inn we were looking at said they don't have Tv or anything, so that might be a deal breaker for me.

How do I know where the jettys are? Is there any fees that I have to pay to visit the jetty? What about snorkeling?

Well when in Port A, I must tell you to visit UT Marine Science Institute (We spent two semesters there).

http://www.utmsi.ute...ors-center.html

Depending on when you go, they have *free* guided tours of a wetlands exhibit which is actually pretty cool. Also, its just fun to wander around the UTMSI campus on a nice day. Try to find the ARK (Animal rehabilitation keep). There they house injured birds and sea turtles before they are released.

Bring sunscreen. Oh, and there is a whataburger...

*Emily's addition below*

There are no fees to visit most of the jettys. If you look at a map of the island, take note of the mile markers, some will denote where you can find jettys or piers. If you head to the UTMSI/North end of the island, there is a main jetty that marks the intracoastal highway, and extends close to a mile, so there is a lot to see on it. I wouldn't recommend snorkeling in almost any of the north area though: there ARE cool sea turtles, dolphins, etc, but the currents created by the end of the intracoastal and jetty are very strong even for advanced swimmers.

Good to know! The inn we were looking at said they don't have Tv or anything, so that might be a deal breaker for me.

How do I know where the jettys are? Is there any fees that I have to pay to visit the jetty? What about snorkeling?

The jett is just past the ferry going to the beach, you only need a beach pass and if you plan to stay late at the jetty you also need a camping pass for that area. the beach pass is used on the rest of the beach, camping pass just in that area.

For the TV situation I bought myself a TV tuner that hooks into my laptop and has an antenna to scan and grab local channels. I can also plus it into the wall cable if its around to get even more items. This tuner was only $25 on sale and has paid for its self more than once. Ive used it camping at osh-kosh, when we moved into a new house on the first night and had nothing to do, down at the beach to check the weather and have the news playing about the hurricane. I'd personally not let the no TV be a deal breaker... your at the coast in a beautiful are at a great time... you shouldnt be inside at all.

If you have kids under 17, THEY can collect without license. However, to keep, you end up needs a permit anyway, so it's kind of a non-starter. Plus their little hands fit in between the rocks so much better than adult hands. In addition to the license, you'll need a saltwater stamp since you're collecting in, uh, saltwater.

ahh, until now ive been thinking the jettys were boats that you took out into the water to collect lol. I knew you guys would have great suggestions!

The tv thing is mainly for me to use at night time, i cant sleep without some little background noise for some reason, i end up having some crazy dreams :o I guess i could use the phone or laptop too. I definitely will not be spending much time in the hotel room at all!

I stayed within walking distance of the north jetty and UT wetlands area for four days. At that time, there was a putrid dead zone on the beach in front of the trailer park. Loads of sargassum had accumulated apparrantly due to prevailing current around the jetty. At its worst, the water was stained black and the smell was very unpleasant. This area was about 1/2 mile along the beach. The first time going to the jetty was about 10AM. It was the peak of high tide with the maximum clarity as offshore water was the most predominate at that time. I could not believe the quantity of damsels darting about as long strains of hair algae undulated to the gentle surge created as large boats pushed thru. Be careful, with the approach of a large ship a five foot wave will wreck havic to your day when among these large granit boulders. At night time, I marveled at the mica and other minerals in these boulders that provided color and glitter. My collecting partner told me to come back from the sixties, we were not going to bring any of this grannite live rock back. This is where I caught Sea Robin.

Two other thing of interest for me was at the beach appoximately 5 miles to the west in front of the motel that ARC stayed at. I joined KimP and Brad to collect on the beach. He had a 2" diameter slurp gun to suck ghost shrimp out of the beach sand. It is the bait of choice with local fishermen. It looks a lot like a mantis shrimp but no hard exoskeleton. While catching these ghost shrimp, I noticed hundreds of clams that exited the sand during influx of water from wave action. It would seem that there feeding was coordinated with the influx of water. When wave went back out, they immediately dug in sand. I could not believe how in seconds they were gone.

http://ipsf.com/sandbedclams.html

http://marineplantbook.com/marinebookpadina.htm

This was very prevalant and displayed well when viewed from above with sunlight. I did not succed keeping it.

I have a new slurp gun, that I forgot to donate to ARC equipment. You are welcome to try it. My rotator cuff will not allow me to play this.

Botanical gardens on mainland near causeway going to Padre Island. Whoever the original owner, he was an avid Orchid grower. Very nice collection. Also the grounds emulate a marsh habitat. Bring mosqitoe protection.

Archived