Emulate Nature

subsea

For those of you that have not seen a lagoon tank up close and personnel, this is your social invite to come to Bear Creek and view Castille Coral Ranch. It is an open ended invite, I only ask that you call before you come. Today will be 7 lbs of ribs, 10 lbs of chicken leg quaters, 2 lbs of boudain and as much red ogo chevichee as we care to eat. I planned on trimming stuff from this abundately diverse GOM live rock. While Bio3 observed live rock, he saw it move. He looked at me, then he looked at the glass of vino that I had poured for him. When we both saw the same rock move again, we realized that we were looking at a bi-valve working his shell. Go figure, fresh raw oysters.

http://www.fishchannel.com/saltwater-aquariums/aquarium-frontiers/natural-coral-reef.aspx

In my early reading on marine aquarium husbandry, I read John Tulouk's book "The Natural Aquarium". As an observer of nature, it clarified my path to reefkeeping. The above link so well clarifies why to keep a bio-theam with livestock that is compatiable. To do this requires research. At the very least, have a well researced plan or know someone that you trust to help you when things get hectic.

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/John_H._Tullock

Enjoy the reading. I have to get meat marinaded.

Patrick

For me, the idea to simplify reefkeeping by grouping compatible livestock as a bio-theam or a pivotal species that drives tank mate selection is the most significant decision that I have made in my reefkeeping husbandry. Not many fish make it with Sea Robin.

Patrick

Interesting article in that first link. Thanks for sharing!

Similar biotheme tank mates and pivotal species tanks were the theme of "The Natural Reef Aquarium". It is the single most important thing that I do, whenever I set up new systems.

Patrick

Archived