I've been getting some strange readings lately. Like my original arm hydrometer reading 1.021, my PINPOINT salinity monitor reading 1.023 (48.0 mS/cm) and a new arm hydrometer reading 1.025. Plus I always have a hard time telling exactly when the titration changes from pink to blue or vice versa.

Do you test water for people at RCA, and if yes, how much water and cash should I bring? (I don't see any mention on your Services page.)

Thank you,

George

Yes they totally do! I usually bring about half a water bottle full. That way you can have them do a million billion tests, like calcium, which they won't do unless you ask. Plus that way I have a little extra, just incase, that they usually dump out. Also, as far as cash... I bring some because the service is free but I almost always find something I like to take home with me biggrin.png

Yes!

They test, and I trust their eyes more than my own.

I've only tested my own water 3 or 4 times (other than salinity), with a kit I bought several years ago. I don't know that I trust my interpretation of the colors over someone who does probably 25+ tests a day, every day, with kits that are probably opened new every other week or less.

I think the only test they charge is for the ultra low phosphate test, and just because that one does cost a pretty penny compared to the others.

Dump the hydrometers and get a refractometer unless the pinpoint is correct which it should be a heck of a lot more accurate. It's worth the cost. I lost my entire first round of coral when I initially setup due to 2 faulty hydrometers.

We do test at no charge. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH, calcium, and specific gravity. As Chris mentioned, we do charge $2 for a high sensitivity phosphate test, however, we do offer a low sensitivity phosphate test at no charge.

As for measuring your specific gravity. I would recommend calibrating your Pinpoint and relying on that as opposed to the hydrometers. A refractometer is a great tool just as jestep mentioned. Some users are concerned about calibration on the refractometers for accuracy. You can Google to find more info on calibrations (slope miscalibrations vs. offset miscalibrations) or swing by the shop and I'd be happy to chat with you.

Jake,

I took my water by yesterday and got it tested. The readings for alkalinity, calcium and salinity were pretty much exactly what I had read, and that was good confirmation. That gave me some confidence that I'm doing things right. I had calibrated my PINPOINT salinity monitor, but I was afraid that the calibration fluid was contaminated and off (waiting on more to come UPS). My hydrometer backups were useless, so I'm glad RCA backed me up. I'm getting a refractometer as a backup/cal check.

Thanks and I'll be back - looking forward to Friday.

Archived