Where I work

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a lawyer with my own firm. McHam Law.

I do family law, criminal defense, probate and civil litigation.

Hopefully one of these days I'll grow the practice to the point that I can have the big office with the giant tank that I've always dreamed of. Sharks anyone?

• Like 1

My girlfriend and I own a pet sitting company (soon to be pet services). I worked in every aspect of the pet industry you could imagine. I imported animals out of Africa and Madagascar for a while. Then I went to working retail for a while with ridiculous hours. Due to those hours I got a job working for a veterinary clinic that was great. I then decided to pick up and move from Austin to Los Angeles for a year to see how the stars live. I worked for a Chameleon Rescue there that was basically the main intake for illegally imported chameleons. After realizing that everyone in LA worked 3-4 jobs to make it by until they either became a movie star or worked with a union long enough to sustain a family we decided to move back to Austin and start the Pet Sitting company. I worked an hourly job while my wonderful girlfriend kicked the company in to gear and now we are expanding to become a one stop shop for in home pet care ;)

My advice to anyone struggling to get over the $10 per hour hump is to find a way to turn something you love in to an income! We absolutely love caring for animals and it has become a great way to support us!

If anyone needs any tips or ideas for growing a new business or just wants to chat about it hit me up! I love hearing how people want to support themselves and break away from making everyone but themselves money ;)

• Like 1

My girlfriend and I own a pet sitting company (soon to be pet services). I worked in every aspect of the pet industry you could imagine. I imported animals out of Africa and Madagascar for a while. Then I went to working retail for a while with ridiculous hours. Due to those hours I got a job working for a veterinary clinic that was great. I then decided to pick up and move from Austin to Los Angeles for a year to see how the stars live. I worked for a Chameleon Rescue there that was basically the main intake for illegally imported chameleons. After realizing that everyone in LA worked 3-4 jobs to make it by until they either became a movie star or worked with a union long enough to sustain a family we decided to move back to Austin and start the Pet Sitting company. I worked an hourly job while my wonderful girlfriend kicked the company in to gear and now we are expanding to become a one stop shop for in home pet care wink.png

My advice to anyone struggling to get over the $10 per hour hump is to find a way to turn something you love in to an income! We absolutely love caring for animals and it has become a great way to support us!

If anyone needs any tips or ideas for growing a new business or just wants to chat about it hit me up! I love hearing how people want to support themselves and break away from making everyone but themselves money wink.png

I may need to talk to you. We have a neighbor.. and us.. that will be going out of town over Thanksgiving and may be in need of your services.. They will be getting a new boxer puppy here in about a week.. We have two cats and the two tanks.. They will be gone for a week, and we will only be gone for about 3.5 days.

I totally agree with you about the $10 hump around here.. I don't get it.. Thus the reason I work for myself and am thinking of starting a new business.

I also want to start my own business but this hobby is what's holding me back. I really need to find a good cruising place on my 90 then I can start saving up.

Until then I'll just keep throwing money inside my glass box.

• Like 2

I also want to start my own business but this hobby is what's holding me back. I really need to find a good cruising place on my 90 then I can start saving up.

Until then I'll just keep throwing money inside my glass box.

wah wah wah....

best joke of the day.. :P

ok, no big success story here or great paying job but I can't complain. I have been working for the same car dealership for 17yrs and have worked my way up to a decent salary. I started college right out of high school and that did not turn out like my parents hoped for. It just was not what I wanted to do at that moment. Now, 30 years later I have found what I want to do when I grow up. I started culinary school two years ago and still have about 2 more to go until I can spread my wings and fly away from this job that I have had so long. I'm ready for something different and maybe start of food truck when I"m done.

I am a newbie in the reefing world and it has been a bit overwhelming at times but I am learning as I go. I am getting ready to upgrade to a 75 gallon RR tank and am excited about that. I'm sure there will be quite a few posts coming in the near future for advice etc.

That's cool. There was a time I knew a lot of people at le cordon bleu, but I've heard some bad things about it lately and heard they are only offering certificates now and not a degree. I also knew a lot of people that were private chefs and caterers in Los Angeles. They did very very well!

Little bit of everything, mostly online. Work at home with my wife, so its boring and we don't get out much during the work day... but hey let's me keep an eye on the tank all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody, been away for awhile but I'm back

Just moved over to San Antonio and I have 6 months left in a Police Academy at San Antonio College

Looking at hopefully working with AISD PD when I'm down

I'm working in Austin on friday and saturday nights at Midtown live on Cameron Rd

my tanks are currently down right now as I was moving my fishy friends are staying at a friends tank

downgraded to 2 biocubes

Very Respectfully, Drew Mendez

This is a great thread!

Lets see here...

• At 18 I joined the Air Force and was accepted into a fast track engineering program. I worked as an avionics technician on F15s while going to school full time. I finished my degree 3 years into my contract. I majored in mechanical engineering. I continued to work on F15s for the remainder of my enlistment.
  • When I got out (2010), work was scarce and I quickly realized I made a huge mistake! Gotta learn though so I took a crappy job. The problem about having Houston as your home town, its that it's hard to get into oil/gas unless you have prior experience or know somebody... I had neither of those two.
  • Fast foward to 2011 and I got a call from Samsung here in Austin asking if I would like to schedule an interview. I had applied months ago but heard no word. I took their offer after the interview and I've been here ever since. I love this town but I am starting to greatly dislike my job. I do no real engineering work. I mostly spend my time in some windows office program making charts, reports, etc...

This is a great thread!

Lets see here...

...I am starting to greatly dislike my job. I do no real engineering work. I mostly spend my time in some windows office program making charts, reports, etc...

That's real engineering work, especially in semiconductor ;)

This is a great thread!

Lets see here...

...I am starting to greatly dislike my job. I do no real engineering work. I mostly spend my time in some windows office program making charts, reports, etc...

That's real engineering work, especially in semiconductor wink.png

I definitely do not see semiconductor as a career choice now that I've been in it for a few years. Trying to break back into aviation at the moment. It's turning out to be much harder to get back into the game when you've been out of it for a while.

This is a great thread!

Lets see here...

That's real engineering work, especially in semiconductor ;)

I definitely do not see semiconductor as a career choice now that I've been in it for a few years. Trying to break back into aviation at the moment. It's turning out to be much harder to get back into the game when you've been out of it for a while.

Doing what? Avionics tech or design? I'm not sure how much you know of the aviation market in Austin. It's small, and a little slow now. but there may be some stuff around. Where have you been looking!

This is a great thread!

Lets see here...

That's real engineering work, especially in semiconductor wink.png

Doing what? Avionics tech or design? I'm not sure how much you know of the aviation market in Austin. It's small, and a little slow now. but there may be some stuff around. Where have you been looking!

You're absolutely right. The aviation market in Austin is pretty slim. I'm starting to wonder if it's a "who you know" kind of situation in this town. My experience has been in design, development, maintenance, and repair. My specialty is RADAR systems and Electronics Warfare, but I am well versed on complete packages as well. I even have ample experience working bench testing equipment.

To be honest I haven't applied to anywhere in Austin since I really couldnt find anything. I've been looking in Houston, Dallas, surrounding states, etc... Nobody calls back. And If they do, It's to tell me that they want someone local.

It's been a real bummer. I might get stuck in Semiconductor.. which from what I hear. Is a real career killer.

Edited by Ibnzmonkey

I joined the Army out of high school and after completeing just about all of bootcamp got a medical discharge for asthma. so then I joined a Volunteer fire dept. and after a month of that with 3 calls got bored and signed up to go to UTI. Graduated from there in the top of my class and a Ford certified tech came home and turned wrenches for 5 years decided Im pretty small to be working on diesels and it was very tiring at the end of the day. I then decided to become a service writer which I have now been doing for 4 years at a local Ford dealership. Would really like to find a job with normal hours give me more time for some tanks and my car but gotta take what you can get right now.