Where I work

Applications architect, I design internally-used web applications with a SQL back end at a local semiconductor company. I still write some code now and again but these days, I do more of the functional design, documentation, team management, and customer interface side of things. I really only get involved with the code when something turns into a science project. This has been a good change for me, now I can work on computer projects (which I enjoy) and not feel like it is a chore. Like Brian, I'm one of those 'self taught' guys too. School of hard knocks haha

Born and raised in the Greater Houston Area (mostly SE side). I also joined the Navy after high school (in Alvin, TX), and I spent six years as a nuclear electrician on the old U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639). I met me wife in Honolulu (where she was born and raised) and moved to Austin for school and jobs for both of us.

I took 9 years getting my BSEE from ACC and UT (G.I. Bill and Hazlewood Exemption while working 50-60 hour weeks in the semiconductor business, mainly at Motorola MOS-13). I worked for UT:ARL for awhile, switched to a start-up that went bankrupt, got laid off and now work for a 4-person, tiny SBIR company in NW Austin.

My wife finally got her license to practice psychology on abused kids after 12 years of school, two years of slave wages (internship for a full year in CA) and a very expensive licensing and testing process (we may pay off the student loans before we die).

Both of us are into SCUBA diving and got our PADI Master Diver certs last year (maybe Dive Master this year - yes, it's confusing). I'm also a black water diver with the Maritime Regiment of the Texas State Guard. The news just did a story on us this last weekend.

I welcome emails or PMs from anyone that wants to talk about diving or anything else.

rock.gif on the diving certification. I am PADI advanced certified, but have not dove in many, many, many years sad.png

My wife and I try to go every weekend, especially now that it's warm. Anyone is welcome to join us (and we'll help knock off rust). Our local instructor is also a reefer (he may be a member of ARC and be critiquing my posts blink.png )

I'm a Deputy with the Williamson County Sheriff's Office. I've been here since 1997. My interest in college was marketing but my life long love for law enforcement won me over. I'm happy to say that I still love what I do and have no regrets. Belinda was with me when I finally made up my mind and she fully understood the crazy schedules that many cops have. She said as I long as I was happy, she would support me. To be honest, Wilco is very family oriented which makes life great. We ran across this hobby after the kiddos watched Finding Nemo. We still watch that movie even though they are too "old" to watch it themselves. I am grateful for the many friends we have made here on ARC.

I'm a Deputy with the Williamson County Sheriff's Office.
I have great respect for LEOs and friends with quite a few. Thank you for what you do. You have greater patience and tolerance for people than I do.
Thank you. I have seen far more than I ever thought I would but am happy I got to help a lot of people along the way. I used to work Anderson Mill back in the day but now I'm happy driving around Hutto, Taylor and Georgetown.

Interesting topic!

I run a few Zazzle stores. Zazzle is a website where you can upload your own art and have people buy it on t-shirts, mugs, iPhone cases etc etc... they have a crazy range of products. When someone buys something, Zazzle do all the "heavy lifting" of printing/shipping and just pay me a royalty. So no overheads and v few customers to deal with for me... it's pretty awesome. :D

If you're interested my site is http://www.cartoonizemypet.com. My husband and I have a few other Zazzle stores too which you can check out on that sites links page if you like. (I don't want to be cheeky and post too many links!)

BTW, feel free to use my cartoon fish as avatars, it's always fun spotting them in aquarium forums. In fact there's a regal tang of mine I keep seeing pop up in ARC hehe :lol:

I'll make sure and flash my ARC card anytime i get pulled over in georgetown, just in case.... oh THIS isn't my driver's license... smile.png

I've been flashed a lot of things over the years but an ARC card would be a 1st. lol

HAHAHAHAHA! I bet!

• Like 1

Interesting topic!

I run a few Zazzle stores. Zazzle is a website where you can upload your own art and have people buy it on t-shirts, mugs, iPhone cases etc etc... they have a crazy range of products. When someone buys something, Zazzle do all the "heavy lifting" of printing/shipping and just pay me a royalty. So no overheads and v few customers to deal with for me... it's pretty awesome. biggrin.png

If you're interested my site is http://www.cartoonizemypet.com. My husband and I have a few other Zazzle stores too which you can check out on that sites links page if you like. (I don't want to be cheeky and post too many links!)

Wow, I think I found gifts for my Boston Terrier-breeding Mom for the next decade. :)

I'll make sure and flash my ARC card anytime i get pulled over in georgetown, just in case.... oh THIS isn't my driver's license... smile.png

I've been flashed a lot of things over the years but an ARC card would be a 1st. lol

HAHAHAHAHA! I bet!

I wonder if it's too late for me to get into law enforcement....

Work at Teco Westinghouse Motor Co. Tech support and inside sales and a little bit of project management.

Almost 100% of the pump motors on a carrier reactor plant are westinghouse. Do you guys make those ones? I got really good at grinding commutator brushes at 2 in the morning...

I'm a stay at home dad. Have lots of hobbys though. Classic cars, classic bikes and build stuff for people. I build everything from bridges to piers to decks, pole barns, etc. Even dig out ponds. Last one I dug out was 350' long by 100' and 20' deep.

We may need to talk about a water retention project on my wet weather stream bed. Come out and visit sometime.

Patrick

Between 1966 and 1972 I was a mechanic in the Air Force on muti-engine reciprocating aircraft. Looking for adventure, I voluntered to work in close support in Vietnam for ground operations using antiquated aircraft from world war two. Puff the Magic Dragon was outfitted from Douglass DC6 and DC7 which was the workhouse of air transport during WWII. After four 90 day combat tours in Vietnam, I got all the excitement that I need for the rest of my life.

After returning home, I entered the Texas Maritime Academy and gradulated *** lada with a BS in Marine Engineering. For thirty five years, I worked as a deepwater subsea engineer in offshore drilling. For two years during those 35 years, I worked in the municipal waste water treatment industry.

At this time, I am deciding how I am going to make money growing seaweed.

Patrick

Drew, you have started a very interesting thread.

As you guys can tell hopefully. I don't know everything and hopefully I don't try and act like it. I am only capable of learning everything.

I have lots of answers I am looking for. I have mentors that all have doctorates and I call them up at least once a week.

George Strait said it best "Sometimes I feel like Jesse James, Still trying to make a name, Knowing nothings gonna change what I am, I was a young troubadour, when I rode in on a song, Ill be an old troubadour, when I'm gone."

• 2 weeks later...

Been working at Dell for 13 years. Don't see 14 though. Well maybe, just because I'll hit 14yrs in Oct. Need a career change. Waiting for a package for my hard work I've put in, then I'm out.

Hey! That's where my mother works. Marketing, I believe.

im a college drop out, I work for cable com pulling wires for people who need internet or phone lines and then make them work, i also drink alot of beer and hang out with my wonderful girlfriend. If anyone is hiring for over $17hr pls pm me

im a college drop out, I work for cable com pulling wires for people who need internet or phone lines and then make them work, i also drink alot of beer and hang out with my wonderful girlfriend.

So was Michael Dell. That by itself doesn't mean as much as some people think.

I've been stuck in jobs at 10.00 hr how do I get over this hump?

Training. What was your MOS (in plain English)?