New to your heart

Drew Mendez WTR

Hello all,

My name is Drew Mendez, I got out of the Marine Corps last Summer (4yrs) 2 deployments overseas...

I did work at Cabelas selling guns during xmas time (Aug-Jan) I was very good there. I work for a Security Company now and comute from Teri Rd to Round Rock. Hope to get out to this months meetings.

Were at the Onion Creek Dog park about every other day (Big German Shep named Ram and 2 weenies.

Ive always had freshwater tanks when I was a kid I started back again 2 years ago with a 10, then 20, then 30, then 55. I only bought the 10 kit everything else was free. I've always wanted saltwater. My cousins whom I consider like a mom and dad are both biology teachers in south texas. So i've grown up around them. I used to love going to Port A (see "Port A"post in off discussions) and throwing things in the tanks at home and school.

My wife and I came across what appeared to be a good deal due to the closing of Amazonia Aquarium

a 150?? Gallon Hex Tank with stand and ehiem. Water, Sand, and live rock. for 600 bucks.

My roomate went half with me in exchange when he moved out I would give him everything for the 55

So even trade. 300 bucks for my setup

We have mostly bottom guys right now the only swimming fish are the blue damsel, and the 6 line wrasse.

Im working on a sump this week

, lighting I've created my own using T-8 fixtures way cheaper (for now)

I have a 4 ballast with Plant Growth, Coral Sun, and 2 regular Flors on a timer

Then a 2 ballast with a Actinic and a Ocean Sun) for moonlight

Clip on grow bulb in my overflow

working on lowering my nitrates so I can put some guys in there.

I know I need a protein skimmer

I have 2 powerheads on the top of the tank on each side that creates a good water flow

I would like to cut a piece of plexi to make a lid, So I dont lose so much **** salt water

I was buying some, I've since switched to making my own 35 cent RO at HEB and Instant Ocean

I would like to invest in a RO system so it can pay itself off

(I've heard it takes a few gallons to make 1 gallon of RO)

I picked up a dragon eye at Petco (near brodie) for about 10 bucks I think and another rock with some sort of red/orange zoas for 7 bucks

I have lots of anemones, Just added some Caluerpa and Chaeto to lower the nitrates.

I'm feeding every other day to help 1 cube of mysis or ocean pack #2, maybe a few pellets, theres mostly algae eaters and there eating pretty good. I have some stuff (kinda like marine snow) to spot feed the zoas and the anemones

What I have

Blue Damsel

Longnose Hawk

6line Wrasse

4 Seaweed blennys (wildcaught)

1 black widow blenny

1 Pink spot goby

a dozen or so peppermint shrimp (wildcaught)

some hermit crabs

what I think is a black sally lightfoot times 2

and a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

oh and a pistol shrimp I have seen him once

Had a Diamond Goby a swimming crab killed him, an algae blenny (brought him home and wouldnt eat or move around much)

I sent about 6 seaweed blennys to aquadome FYI

I've done alot of things from computers, admin, engineering, intelligence stuff, sales, website, sharepoint

• 4 weeks later...

Question: I've seen a few ppls tank builds so I've noticed something I'm doing different

The rock I have came with my tanks, but they look like river rocks (unsure), they are some flat ones that coral grows really well on, we have another one that has tunnels all through it for shrimp, and for the most part there pretty porous and live...I dont really know much about them bc they came with the tank.

I have them carefully stacked along the the middle across the tanks, making bridges, caves, and lots of hiding spots. I finally realized that I would like to transition to some various actually coral rubble, or fiji, or the BRS rock I see. and start piecing it together slowly ( I dont think I could afford 150 pounds in one go)

My question now is from what I've seen the tanks rocks are laid out in a U shape around the tank with the front obviously visible and unobstructed. with the rocks against the side and black glass. this looks like it adds more swimming room This hadnt occurred as a thought until I saw everyone elses tanks.

Can someone please give me some instruction on aquascaping or link to where its discussed (if its already been covered)

Very Respectfully, Drew Mendez

You'd probably gave better luck with responses if you started a new thread in the Reefkeeping forum. People probably just missed your question in here.

There are lots of different ways to aquascape, from a rock "wall" to columns or even just a couple of minimalist rock islands.

You can find lots of info online by googling "aquascaping reef tank.". There's also a great thread on ReefCentral that's full of inspiring aquascapes:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658490

(I went through the whole thing before attempting mine!) :)

Drew, just make it however YOU like it. i like to leave space between the glass so its easier to clean and for flow (if there is stagnant areas detritus tends to build up). it is all about what you like.

• 3 months later...

Hello y'all

Sorry I have been away-I've been working nights doing armed security.

I found my tank getting neglected so I worked with my cousins (aquatic science teachers at Tuloso Midway) and came to a trade deal (no cash)

This will be her biggest tank in her classroom and I'm sure it will work out perfect for us. The brought up two tanks for me and a pair of clownfish and some peppermints that didnt make it.

I just set up over the past 2 days a 29 gallon biocube with everything except stand and a 30 gallon bowfront with hang on filter and protein skimmer, also a coralife light for it. I feel like it was a fair trade and I'm just happy this tank is going to live up to its potential.

I'm also alittle more excited that I get to jump back into the game. Funny thing when my wife and I we're looking at the fish store she kept spotting things you liked and my cousin was just telling her no to everything lol telling her she had to shop the nano section.

She settled on a batman our name for the black widow blenny. Going to have to find a small one she said she wants to scape her tank to look like gothom city and that will be her only fish lol..

I'm going to get water checked and see how things are looking

Thinking of trading or selling my pink spot goby he is a good 4 inches. I'm sure he's in a state of metaphorical shock losing so much real estate, and possibly picking up a nano goby. I also got two perculas (true I believe) that are about an inch and half. thinking about keeping those. Our tank transfer was very smooth I found my sea hare that was gobbling away he looked like a rock there on the bare sand when it was in the truck glad he got out and he's moving to Corpus. I dont know what happened to my green bubble tip. Hoping he shows up!?

I have alot of assorted rock left over if anyone's interested Will try and take some pics however I'm not too worried about it.

This is a good direction for me and I'm at peace. Would like for anyone to share their thoughts or tips and tricks on this downgrade. Kim we have alot to catch up on and I saw some nice Ukes at guitar center up near lamar. Also Patrick we need to get together soon. Sorry I missed the meetings I have been rather busy. Happy to say I got my VA disability (70 percent) and works been going great aside from the ppl that have tried to swing at me and have heart attacks.

Thank you so much for the support and friendship the past couple of months have been pretty rough

Oh I picked up the 100GPD RO unit from Aquadome and it was a breeze to set up, I just ran a water hose into the garage and added a tee to the faucet.

One Love

Drew Mendez

I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. Welcome back! The tank swap sounds like a good move. More manageable and nothing to flood your house (barring a tank leak).

I find with a smaller tank you can manage everything more and you can actually see the corals. I had given kim a duncan and it's 2x the size of any of the heads on my mother colony and everything in her tank pops.

ps: Pics of the new tank

pps: I am in need of rock for my tank if your looking to off load it and I can throw some frags your way for your new tank.

A great thing about smaller tanks is that you can keep some of the more interesting critters and see them. Like Pom Pom Crabs, Squat Lobsters, Bumble Bee Shrimp, Porcelain Rock Crabs, etc. All of them are reef safe, fascinating to watch and great conversation pieces. They tend to get lost in bigger tanks as they hide from and get preyed upon by the bigger inhabitants.

Ask and you shall receive. Alot of this rock is very porous however I dont find it very appealing. However its available if you need and some frags would be ok but not required. I also have a powerwasher so we could "hit" these if you prefer

303-847-9500 I'm available every day as I work graveyards and I live about 7 mins from Aquadome

post-2505-0-87377700-1345646442_thumb.jp

post-2505-0-85457900-1345646493_thumb.jp

post-2505-0-54375500-1345646507_thumb.jp

post-2505-0-52026500-1345646558_thumb.jp

post-2505-0-36771700-1345646623_thumb.jp

Archived