Cheap tricks

FarmerTy

• 1 month later...

So I've been using Red Sea test kits for my tank as well as BRS 2 part for dosing. I have vials, syringes, and little helper cards in different spots from under the sink to under the tank so I got tired of losing the little cards so I made this handy dandy cheat sheet. Just thought I'd pass it along to help anyone else out.

If you want it laminated hit me up and I can get you a copy.

post-1271-0-95401000-1356641082_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Garlic extract from Heb, instead of garlic extreme, you can definetly get nori at heb as well in the sushi section. I hung my pendent lights for less than 10.00 w/ hardware from home depot

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a micro bearing puller if anyone ever wants to replace the dry side bearings in a MP40. I think it will work for a MP10 as well.

It's basically a $30 fix for very good quality replacement bearings vs a new Dry side from ecotech @ $250. If you're in warranty I would contact ecotech since it's pretty easy to break the motor magnets even if you know what you're doing.

i saw on here u can get garlic extract instead of garlic extreme I have not been able to find any only garlic juice (garlic, vinegar and citric acid) and crusched garlic (garlic and citric acid as a preservitive). Am I not looking in the right place? also once I do find it how much to I add to the water that I am soaking the food in, and should I pour the whole container where food is soaking into the tank?

• Like 1

Inadvertently deleted Richard L's post while trying to append it here, so here's the content:

Found 3 pack of Super Glue Gel 0.07 oz. tubes for $1 at Dollar Tree today. I've been paying $1.97 at Home Depot for just 2 of tubes. The small tubes are great because you always have a clean nozel and you can use them underwater without worrying about saltwater getting in the tube.
I also got one of those plastic grabber-tong-thingies for a dollar. It's a little over 3 feet long. We'll see how long it lasts but for a dollar it doesn't have to last that long!
What other reef keeping bargains have you guys found out there?

I've been spot feeding my critters using a syringe that the pharmacy gives us every time we pick up a prescription for our toddler. Attached a 1 foot piece of air line hose and now I have a precision spot feeder.

I've been spot feeding my critters using a syringe that the pharmacy gives us every time we pick up a prescription for our toddler. Attached a 1 foot piece of air line hose and now I have a precision spot feeder.

I do this same thing using rigid tubing that I straightened with the hair dryer. Works great

Which is another good trick, buy the hard air tubing rolls from Home Depot and heat then with heat gun or blow dryer to straighten. It's a whole lot cheaper than the per cut straight tube sections for cultures and works better since I can mount an air valve directly to it.

Edited by (Bio)³

Same thing here. Also works well for manual dosing when a bottle is getting low. You can just suck it out of the bottom of the bottle with the airline tubing.

my wife does wedding flowers as a side business and is always buying marbles etc from the dollar store. They come in these plastic mesh bags. I have been buying live rock rubble from the LFS for not very much per pound and filling the bags with it. Basically turning rubble into a rock. I keep it in the sump and can move all of it around to clean up etc. plus I can dump them in the DT for a bit to replenish my pod supply every once in awhile.

you have to watch out though as some of them have a metal clip closing one end. East enough to remove and replace with a zip tie.

my wife does wedding flowers as a side business and is always buying marbles etc from the dollar store. They come in these plastic mesh bags. I have been buying live rock rubble from the LFS for not very much per pound and filling the bags with it. Basically turning rubble into a rock. I keep it in the sump and can move all of it around to clean up etc. plus I can dump them in the DT for a bit to replenish my pod supply every once in awhile.

you have to watch out though as some of them have a metal clip closing one end. East enough to remove and replace with a zip tie.

Great idea