Natural Living Controllers

Michae52

Tonight I was looking at my tanks and thought maybe I should do some testing or maybe a water change. I first glanced at the little Red Sea Max and noticed that the Kenya Tree was displaying itself in all of its glory. Standing upright with all of its branches fully extended. I have read in several places, that a Kenya Tree can be an early indicator of water quality. When it's happy everything should be happy. That even a somewhat dull looking coral can provide a warning if trouble is on it's way. Then I went over to the lagoon tank that I am putting together. Not a whole lot in there right now as I am waiting for my marco algaes. I saw some movement in the rock. It was a couple of my bulldozers making their way across the surface of the rock. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the shells of both creatures were a beautiful iridescent in color. I knew right then that the tank was doing just fine.

post-2202-0-88542900-1330834717_thumb.jp

I know I should test my water parameters, but . . . I primarily rely on natural controllers. I know what each of my corals looks like healthy, so as soon as one looks a little off, I know its time for a water change or other measure. My tanks have survived thus far (2+ years) and I've gotten really good at reading the early signs.

I buy test kits that constantly pass their experation date. I have been operating marine aquarium for almost 40 years. Being a "laissez faire" reefer suits me.

I am here for the party, not the test.

Patrick

Archived