Pod Lagoon?

DragonDiver

Do you think it would be possible to breed pods in a lagoon or would,they need full sw?? Could you grow macros in there too? Just wondering as I have a little 2.5 pico with pods and a little chaeto in and I want to see if it is feasible

In my opinion, that is the best application for a nano. These systems are too small for high light energy. These small systems do not have diverse nutriant recycling paths. Very specialized. Chaeto needs very little light to sustain itself. It is a perfect matrix/habitate for amphipods. Indirect sunlight from a window should do the trick. Monitor temperature, with these small systems, there is no room to forgive when conditions vary. Have fun with it. I would say to allow amphipods to abundately breed with little food addittions. With these small closed systems you as keepper of the tank need to be very specialized in these habitates. If every body needs the same conditions, everybody wins.

Enjoy,

Patrick

http://www.youtube.com/ipsfdotcom#p/u/3/NaCu2c9XpuI

This utube series is the model that I am using to set up the Responsible Newbie Lagoon Tanks. Enjoy the hobby, don't be afraid to experiment. However, look before you leap.

I noticed in your profile, you mentioned hobbies as diving and lacrosse. What kind of diving do you mean?

Patrick

Mike Frame and Jake Doza have both dived several of the areas that you mentioned. I have only snorkled. On my first dive near Purto Rico, I was smart enough to wear a t-shirt to avoid sunburn. No protection on a thinning head of hair. That night the hot water from the shower brought this sunburn to my focus.

Anyway, welcome to the club.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/gracilaria-the-pot-thickens-2/

Look at this link on "Graceful Red Weed". I have much of this for free, if you want some.

Patrick

Haha thanks! I think Ill take you up on the offer! However Im leaving to go to Houston for Lacrosse and wont be back until sunday night. So It Will have to be sometime later in the week, Ill pm you when I could possibly pick it up, thanks for helping me out!

Haha thanks I love comedy and humor in general, Im thinkin Ill just upgrade the pico to a 10 gallon, have a hood for it already so that should work, how many watts per gallon does the Graceful red weed need?

Gracelaria Tikaviae is invasive and will tolerate many fluctuations in temperature and salinity, as well as light intensity. When I grow it in subdued lighting it is a dark burgandy When I push it with 1000W MH at 6500K it is yellow/oraage. Get a plastic hood, coat it white glossy on the light side and power it with two 20W Coralife 20W 50/50 PC bulbs. I would always use carbon with these systems. It is not necessxary to change water frequently or at all. If this is required then you are probably pushing too much nutriant at the system. Reduce food input. Remember, when nutriants in equal nutriants out there is little biomass growth in the system. With zero water changes, nutriants in equals biomass growth. The trick is to get the right biomass growth: like corals or macro instead of micro or cynobacteeria.

Happy reefing,

Patrick

I started up three 10G lagoon tanks. One is a macro tank and one is a rock tank. The macro tank is being pushed with six 16W PC bulbs at 6500K. This tank has a pancake blower to keep it cool. The rock tank has two 20W 50/50 PC bulbs

The chaeto/pod tank has no light and gets indirect sunlight all day. Once the pod populations are up, I considered a NPS tank which I know nothing about. Anyway, I am having fun playing with them. Before you buy any equipment, check with the club, somebody may have to what you need.

Patrick

I am growing pods in a 5 gallon bucket with absolutely no light, no heater, and no airline.

Pretty much followed this article to a T with the exception that I cut a square in my top and put some mesh on the top to give air but restrict other items from getting in it

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Rotifers-101-c200.html

So I came upon this website called Indo-Pacific Sea Farms, and they sell a refugium startup kit for 99.95, is this worth the money? http://ipsf.com/refugiumstartup.html was thinking about using it in my lagoon!

For this small of a lagoon, I would focus on pods as the main herbivore to keep it cean. I will gladly get you started on Tiger Pods, that are so big that they roar. To seed these small lagoon tanks, I use rubble frrom mature tanks to bring in biodiversity. I will provide you with this also. In a 10G tank, use 5 pounds of arogonite substrate (2mm-5mm particle size). This substrate will provide surace area for nitrifying bacteria but no de-nitrification bacteria common in low oxygen areas in deep sand beds.

If you feel better to purchase a kit, I could break that down to a kit form:

Aroggonite substrate: 5 lbs at $2 per pound $10

Mature reef rubble: 1 lbs at $6 per pound $6

Tiger Pods 1 pint at $10 $10

I use IndoPacific SeaFarm for biodiversity in my deep sand beds and for specialty items. With transportation from Hawaiia having to be paid for, I would not recommend them for your application. The owner, Gerald Hesslinger and I are friends and you would be ok to buy from them. In fact, at the IPSF site click on utube #13 part series on responsible newbie lagoon tanks. This is the basic model of reef husbandry for these small lagoon tanks. However you can get these items much cheaper locally. There are many members of ARC that would help you with these items. I told you that I would give them to you.

Patrick

Sweet! Do you think maybe we could meet up somewhere? extreme southwest austin sounds a little to far for me (actually my dad he does all the driving :D) but I would really appreciate it if i could get it from you! do you think I could get some macros too?

The only time that I go North is to the monthly meeting of ARC. I could meet you in Leander at Jakedoza's house on Saturday. Otherwise you have to drive to me. As I said, I will give them to you, but you must come get them. I am retired and am home most days, just call in advance. Yes, I have macros as well.

:Patrick Castille

http://www.castillecoralranch.com/

8907 Bear Creek Drive

Austin, Tx 78737

512-514-1446 home

Archived