Golden dwarf moray eel - lower price -SOLD

Hydro

The most reef safe eel available. I recently ordered a pair of these and have decided to only keep one. I was told they were a mated pair but they don't even hang out together. I only wanted one but my wife didn't want to seperate them but she is ok with it now. I'm not that motivated to sell but would let go for $200. These normally go between $280-$400 if you can find them. About 6" long and the size of a pencil.

post-1255-0-53649000-1322787763_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-52284600-1322787783_thumb.jp

I purchased 2 a year and a half or so ago they came in the same bag I had them in a 30gal they were always in the same rock. I moved them to my 110 and they were always in my big center pc rock. Now they are back in a biocube and are always together :). when I trapped them from the 110 I got the small one first it was about 12 inches and when I saw that the bigger one was not gona fit in the trap I had to go to a 2ltr bottle lol. It could reach the bottom of the 2ltr and its tail was still in the rock when he stretched out I bet he got close to 18-20 inches.

they were purchased as a pair from Ebay.

they are very cool and if you get live feeder shrimp they will love you :)

Same tank. They pretty much share any cave or space available but both do their own thing much of the time. Neither are shy in any way as many articles I read suggest. One's about 12" and the other about 7".

Also, for food, get some wild gulf shrimp and chop them up really small. They absolutely love them.

That's a great color on yours. Mine have zero spots and are a creamy yellow color.

eels-1.jpg

I got to looking around and it seems that we have 2 different species of eel. Mine is a golden eel and your is a dwarf eel.....according to

http://www.justrarefish.com/html/eels.html

Mine were caught in hawaii, do you remember where yours came from? I was told that these golden eels don't get over 12", this info coming from the diver who catches them for whatever that's worth.

I purchased 2 a year and a half or so ago they came in the same bag I had them in a 30gal they were always in the same rock. I moved them to my 110 and they were always in my big center pc rock. Now they are back in a biocube and are always together smile.png. when I trapped them from the 110 I got the small one first it was about 12 inches and when I saw that the bigger one was not gona fit in the trap I had to go to a 2ltr bottle lol. It could reach the bottom of the 2ltr and its tail was still in the rock when he stretched out I bet he got close to 18-20 inches.

they were purchased as a pair from Ebay.

they are very cool and if you get live feeder shrimp they will love you smile.png

Wow those are some big ones! How fast did they grow? What are you guys feeding them and how often?

We should probably start a discussion thread so we stop hijacking your for sale one, but anyway... mine are dwarf golden morays (Gymnothorax melatremus) from Hawaii. They are supposed to top out at about 12". They come in darker yellow and more spotted like yours as well, just depends on the eel itself.

The other variety is the golden moray (Gymnothorax miliaris) which gets to about 2ft, but has a much bulkier build.

If they have bright blue eyes, they are a most likely dwarf golden. If their eyes are red or orange or brown they are a golden or other variety.

mine are also dwarf golden morays and are about the same color as jestep's you can tell if its the dwarf because they have blue eyes. If it does not have blue eyes then its just a golden moray and will get very big.

When I got mine they were probly like 8 and 10 inches and I have had them 18 months or so. When I first got them they would not touch anyfood for over a month I was sure they would die. I now feed them 2-3 times a week. I feed them till they stop taking food usualy about 2/3 of a med size table shrimp or about that much frozen fish <defrosted> they also like myst, Live ghost shrimp <sometimes gutloaded>, I even got a pinch of flake with my big tongs and they woofed that down lol. They also like my "homeade" frozen basicly a bunch of random cubes of food blended with seafood gumbo, nori,garlic,and kents zoe formula.

They do have blue eyes.

I got mine to eat mysid today from a pair of tweezers....yay!!!! Its been a few days since they arrived and they hadn't eaten yet. I wasn't really worried, but it was a relief that they both ate. Thanks for the food suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Lower price $185

One of the three eels that we ordered still hasn't eaten but the one that I'm selling readily accepts mysid shrimp. We have learned that just because they arrive alive doesn't mean they will eat. Good price, healthy, and eating well. If you are looking for one of these you couldn't do much better than this deal.

The 2 that are for sale look exactly alike, I can't tell them apart. You couldn't take that picture and figure out which eel it is of.

The third eel belongs to offroadodge and to my knowledge is not for sale. Some good news....after almost 2 months now started eating today! That eel is much larger and is a cream colored where the 2 that are for sale are a golden yellow color.

• 5 years later...

Archived