Upsidedown Seahorse

ScottSeaTattoo

See if you are able to gently squeeze his pouch and get any air bubbles out. Hold him gently in one hand and let him hitch onto your pinky finger. Then with the other hand try to get the air out (if there is any). Sometimes males get pouch emphysema where the pouch fills up with air messing up the buoyancy. In the meantime read up on gas bubble disease and see if the symptoms match. I have the meds to treat if you need them. I hope your seahorse is feeling better soon!

That's how GBD seems to be. I've only ever had one seahorse get it and the others went on to live years and still no sign of it again. The seahorse that had it lived quite a long time after getting it and I just had to treat him every so often. It's weird. He was the one always pregnant so his body was probably worn out compared to my others. Who knows!

What did you treat with?

I treated the pouch emphysema with a Diamox flush. There are different meds depending on exactly what's going on with the seahorse. How's yours doing? Did you try to see if there's any air in the pouch? Do you have any females in the tank with him?

We noticed it last not. Not sure if it's bubbles or possible blisters from the bristle worms. But she's gone from vibrant yellow to black.

Have you noticed blisters from bristle worms? Yikes, I didn't realize that could happen! I've only heard of air bubbles right under the skin that look like blisters. Usually another form of GBD.

He seems to have righted himself. He was hiding yesterday so I didnt get a chanch to sqeeze him. I decided it was better not to stress him by hunting him down. The tank houses 2 males and 2 females and this guy is the dominate male of the two. The two male started off not getting along and I thought I might have to seperate them but things have calmed down and the two pairs seem to be good with each other.

I hate to hijack the thread.

KimP what meds are you using. We massaged the air bubbles out of her tail but noticed this morning an open wound where the bubble used to be. Poor girl first a bubble above her eye now on her tail. . . :(

How did you massage air from her tail? It sounds like you are dealing with a possible bacterial infection now, so the treatment is a bit different. Do you have a hospital tank you can set up asap? You want to lower the salinity a bit and try to keep the temp as close to 68 degrees as possible in the ht. Here's the link to the treatment sticky on seahorse.org, and if you post in the emergency section there, they have the equivalent of a seahorse ER doc that will walk you through everything. I have all the meds if you need anything. It is a pain for a week or two but these guys are way hardier than you'd think and can live through a lot. It's totally worth treating! Lmk if I can help at all, esp if you don't want to post at seahorse.org.

http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showtopic=42497

Archived