Hello!

bradensmom

Hello everyone, My name is Brandi and my husband David and I just started our first saltwater tank. We set up a 75g, have all the sand and live rock and two damsels to start. We could use a lot of advice on building up and what "not" to do, to ensure the health of our system.

Thank you,

Brandi

Will upload pictures in a few days.

Welcome! This place is great for quick answers and helpful advice. Tons of knowledgable reefers. I just started in April and we all know how frustrating things can get, but as anyone here will tell you, patience is the key to this hobby. Rushing things never has good results. Definitely ask all the questions y'all have!

Welcome! Welcome!

Have you done the following before droping those 2 damsel fish?

Are you using RO water?

Was the rock cure, what type and where this rock come from?

Have you tested the water?

How long have the tank been cycling? Example: How long has the tank been up and running?

the biggest problem I had when starting off not using rodi water and not using clean good clean live rock. also make sure your test kit isnt expired, my first test kit was old so it gave me false readings. welcome!

Welcome!

Those damsels may be cute now, but could end up limiting what else you can put in the tank later and will be a pain to catch in a 75g. You might consider catching them now and getting something else. If you're using them to cycle the tank there are better options.

Welcome! Welcome!

Have you done the following before droping those 2 damsel fish?

Are you using RO water?

Was the rock cure, what type and where this rock come from?

Have you tested the water?

How long have the tank been cycling? Example: How long has the tank been up and running?

We have an RO system. I got most of my live rock from Aquatek and some from Partners in Round Rock. The tank has been running for a week.

Welcome!

Those damsels may be cute now, but could end up limiting what else you can put in the tank later and will be a pain to catch in a 75g. You might consider catching them now and getting something else. If you're using them to cycle the tank there are better options.

They are there to cycle the tank. What are the alternatives to damsels?

Thanks for the info.

First step:

Join this group and ask questions. Check out the resources tab from the front page for some FAQs.

Second step:

Get those damsels out asap. You will probably have to remove the rocks to do this.

Third step:

Research, research, research.

Fourth and all subsequent steps:

Patience.

Oh yeah:

Welcome!

They are there to cycle the tank. What are the alternatives to damsels?

Thanks for the info.

Time. It's going to be your best friend in this hobby if you decide to utilize it. Test water daily until you see your ammonia spike and then drop down to 0. After that, take things very slowly. VERY slowly! A new tank is an unstable tank and only time and proper care will change that.

Another alternative is a piece of table shrimp. Rinse it in that RO water, then drop it in the tank. It will help jumpstart your nitrogen cycle much like the damsels would. But with this method, you don't have to torture fish. If, IF, those damsels survive the nitrogen cycle, they won't be happy (damsels never really seem happy anyways). The cycle will burn their gills amongst other things. Remember, we all love fishies here and want to take the best care of them as possible.

Archived