54g Acrylic 48x13x20h newbie reef build

Benny

Going to be taking this build slow, So I can get it as "Right" as I can the first time! haha.

I got the tank and stand off craigslist, for a really good price, But it is only 1/8 inch thick acrylic. Is this gonna be ok? I figure the water pressure wont be that bad with 50lbs of rock... The tank is a rounded front corner seamless acrylic, has some scratches but was never used. Plan is to add either a internal overflow or external overflow, and add 2-3 returns to the bottom of the tank. This is what I have so far in sketchup.

The top is braced but I have it hidden in the pics.

I also picked up a 18g Cadlights Pro-Reef sump from ARC member Marco.

Comments? Suggestions?

Honestly that thickness scares me a lot. Also, unless it is branded, you have no way of knowing if it is a good quality cell-cast acrylic. I've heard multiple times never to use anything less than 1/4" which is good only up to 12" - 18" in height. At 18" in height, with a 48" tank you should be using 1/2" acrylic.

The seamless makes a difference, but you start getting some serious PSI with the volume and height of the water. A 54 gallon tank runs at about 500lbs of water alone.

I have a 36" acrylic tank with 1/8" thick sides and bottom. Acrylic is far stronger than glass as it allows some flex. I wouldnt be too worried about it unless its rimless. Mine is euro braced and its truvu brand so that may make all the difference.

I could definitely be wrong on the thickness. I've never heard of a tank that size being that thin. If it's a commercial tank, it's probably engineered to work. If it's a DIY, or you don't know, I would fill it up and leave it somewhere like a garage for at least a month. Throw a few power heads, and a wavemaker if you have one, in there as well to get some water movement.

Does it have a center brace, or is it just euro?

Is it rimless? If not then its fine. Im serious, my truvu is 1/8" everywhere except the back, and its a hare thinner than 1/4".

With your corners being rounded, I wouldnt be surprised if its not a truvu, not many acrylic tanks that Ive seen have rounded corners like that except truvu and one other brand that went out of biz.

I filled it all the way when I bought it and there was slight bow to the front and back, But it was in the 110 degree heat, with hot well water. Not rimless, has a full top with cutouts for HOB filters and accessories, Then cutouts for lights, also has center brace. All the seams are bubble free and it is not a diy...

It sounds like you're going to be fine.

Not trying fearmonger or anything with my previous posts. I've seen some disasters with DIY acrylic and glass work that most people would have paid to avoid, but this sounds like someone/some company who new what they were doing engineered it.

And yeah... After measuring it... Again... 1/4 inch all around.

Just moved it on the stand to the back porch and filled it. Wont see direct sunlight

Word of advise, and this is just from experience. If your going to run a built in OF box and drill the bottom for drain, drill 2 holes, one for drain and one for return. Mount your return plumbing into the sides of the OF box using bulkhead fittings and lockline(exterior) before gluing in the OF structure. This will make your plumbing super simple. I did not do this on mine and I regret it. I drilled holes in the back of the tank and used the same method, but if I had run it next to the durso pipe it would have been a much simpler/cleaner install. That is a narrow tank as well, make sure to secure your rockscaping well, one fall of a rock and that acrylic will be scratched so bad you will wish you had a glass tank.....I do, after owning an acrylic. Mag cleaner and acrylic, an iffy combination...

Yeah, It is on craigslist now. Should have waited to get a tank haha, Getting quotes for cut glass around town... Gonna just make my own tank. So far the price is right!

Also looking at buying a tank from a member that needs to be resealed. 115g

Archived