Air bubble on the eyes

dapettit

Our seahorse for the past couple of weeks has been hiding out in the back of the tank and not eating. We noticed an air bubble on/behind each eye. Her coloring went from a very vibirant yellow to black. Yesterday during feed she was back to her original color and eating like normal, however she still has a bubble on\behind one eye. Is this something I should be worried about? Any suggestions what I should do?

TIA,

Dave-

i'm new to this so I don't know. But I do know that Dan and Abbie at seahorsesource.com are very knowledgeable! They have helped me so much. I highly encourage you call them or whomever you first purchased the horses.

Sorry to hear this, but I'm glad it sounds like she's doing better. Just to clarify, do you mean like a little air bubble near the eye just under the skin, or pop-eye? What kind of seahorse? In the meantime, what's your tank temp? No matter what the problem, lowering the temp is always a good call until it's resolved.

Been so busy haven't had time to call but just wanted to give an update:

She is eating a little more. We've been soaking the mysis in garlic extract and vitamin c. She goes crazy when we start feeding but it's like she can't see the mysis. She's bright yellow then turns black when hunting on the sand bed. She still has the bubble so we're wondering if she just can't see it.

Any way we remain hopefully optimistic!

Dave-

Okay, so it sounds like she's able to eat some for sure, right? A few years ago I had a seahorse with pop-eye and he couldn't see the food well enough to actually eat any of it, but he'd go crazy when I went to feed him and he'd try and try. He would've starved to death I'm sure. I managed to get him in a qt tank and treat with antibiotics. It healed right up and he went right back to normal, so if you need to treat it I would give it a shot. But not if she's still able to eat I guess. That sounds hopeful! Anyway, good luck with her, and thanks for the update, I had been wondering how it was going.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived