Would LOVE FREE saltwater fish, plants and LIVE ROCK!

AquaHarley

My name is Rachel. I am 24 and recently moved to Austin from Georgia. I recently purchased a fish tank and the works for it. I bought everything piece by piece and realized I had spent a small fortune. I would love to be able to buy more life for my aquarium but it will have to wait a LONG while. I bought some liverock (11 pounds) which cost me roughly $100.00. I know I need much more, but it is so expensive. I have a couple of fish and a few anenomes, but I would love to have something to gawk at. I have always wanted an aquarium and honestly never thought I would be able to own one. If anyone has any goodies they wouldn't mind donating to my dream tank I would greatly appreciate it. My cell phone number is 678-677-7352. You can call or text me. I live in North Austin. Thank you so much for viewing my post.

Right now I have two light bulbs in the hood, but the other two are burnt out and there are four tiny night lights in the back of it. It is a coralee lighting head unit. As for the liverock. Yes it was right at $100.00 bucks after tax from Aquatech. I know I need more liverock because a tiny little hermit crab was over on the side of the tank without the liverock and I felt bad for him because there was nothing over there. :D lol

Contact Prof at Epic Reef for cheap dry rock. The live rock you have will seed it and make it live too!

Do not add anything more to the tank until you have more rock. I'd find a temporary home for the fish while the tank cycles.

What kind of nem do you have? Is the light a metal halide/pc/t5?

Can you post a pic of your setup?

Yeah, you can definitely buy dry rock much cheaper to fill up the bare spot in your tank. Your live rock will seed it. The purple anemone is probably a condylactis unless you bought a purple long tip. Condy's are pretty tough, if it's any other kind of anemone you will need to work on lighting to make sure that it has sufficient light to live.

I actually made a trip to aquadome today due to the overwhelming response that I needed more rock. :) I got some limestone and was told it will get seeded by my liverock. It looks great and was much cheaper than liverock. It was $2.19 a lb I believe. I was told by the employee there that my lighting is good for the anenome I have as it's a hardy anenome. I would love to get some coral, more liverock or dry rock (all in time) :), and some life in there. I appreciate all of the information that you guys have been imparting on me. Thank you Kimp for allowing me to have some coral. :) My tank is a work in progress and is still bare bones, and anyone with a critter they no longer wish to keep please feel free to text,call or message me and I would love to give it a great home. Thank you-Rachel 678-677-7352

I'd recommend not adding any more livestock, of any kind, right now. You are in the beginning stages of the cycle.

I agree with Robb, this tank is "new".

Are you testing any parameters? Im willing to bet the ammonia in your tank is considerably high right now. Hope the nem makes it through the Nitrogen cycle. Mines been back up for 3 weeks and Im still not ready to put anything in it and Im only at .25ppm ammonia. First time it cycled it hit high 7's.

Hmm theres a t in bet....ninja edit!

Lol, thanks. Yeah I will be honest. I was very careful with my water and setup and the temperature is just right. I have done my homework on my anenome and the only concern I have is that he may eat a clown fish if get one. I have been reason horror stories. My tank is very clear, the levels have all been consistently great. I am honestly not really sure why so many people had issues with the water balance levels and such. But I guess everyones setup gives them different challenges. Thank you and yes I am looking for free stuff. :doh:

Again, are you testing ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Better yet, what are you testing for and what are your current levels?

Just because you have good temp doesn't mean anything in the cycle. If 'cycle' is a foreign concept, you need to stop and read more. I'm not saying this with any sense of 'you're a newbie and I know it all because I'm a mod' or anything like that. I'm trying to help save you money and heartache due to livestock deaths.

Patience is the hardest part with SW.

Hello Migs, I would love to have some candy canes and monti's. You can call or message me my cell number is 678-677-7352. I will send you a private message on here as well. :doh:

Hello Rob, as for my levels here is what I am testing and where my levels are at (just tested before reporting to you) :) :

NO3 ppm = 10 mg/l

NO2 ppm = 0.1 mg/l

Total Chlorine = 0 ppm

Total alkalinity = 250 ppm

Ph = 8.5

The temperature is 78 degrees

specific gravity = 1.024

Thank you for all the advice too. :)

Well, you're numbers sure look good! Alk is a bit high though. Don't waste money on the chlorine test kit, once your current one is done.

I'd still recommend waiting a while until you add more. With the new rock in there you are bound to get a little bit of a cycle going.

Archived