Question!!

nemai

Does anyone know what kind of creature this is??? For some reason came with the LR that I bought 2 weeks ago at the store. Should I keep it or remove from my tank?? So far He or she hasn't done anything in the tank, since i dont know much about it.

post-1877-0-31956800-1300418062_thumb.jp

It looks like a Sea Hare. Good Algae eaters, but if you don't have any algae they starve and die. If they die they poison the tank, so keep it fed or sell it....basically.

Edited by mooric

Its an elephant slug :P . Its has a white shell underneath the black skin that sometimes will show through a slit in the middle of it, especially if you touch them or move the rock they are on. They will strech their skin over their shell and pull it tight to the rock so they can't be removed. I have LOTS and LOTS of these in my tank. At night I can count 10-15 of these guys at least which leads me to believe there is probably 100 in there. They are algae eaters and I have never had a problem with them, in fact I think they are super cool. They are so black its like looking at a black hole....I'm sure that's eveolution (for those who believe in evolution lol) so they don't get eaten, they look like a hole in a rock. Usually any rock I turn over in my tank has one of these guys on it.

+1 elephant slug (or snail rather) - it has a small shell under there. I had the same question a year ago and took mine out and poked at it until I uncovered the shell (not recommended, but very cool). I put him back in the tank and I actually saw him for the first time again two days ago - and there was a baby elephant slug with him!

That's really funny that this came up, day before yesterday I saw a really big one out during the middle of the day, probably 3" or so. I was surpried because they usually only hang out in the dark...maybe when they get bigger they are braver If anyone wants a couple of these for thier tank I can hook them up. I've had them since day 1 and I'm 99% sure they are reef safe.

That's really funny that this came up, day before yesterday I saw a really big one out during the middle of the day, probably 3" or so. I was surpried because they usually only hang out in the dark...maybe when they get bigger they are braver If anyone wants a couple of these for thier tank I can hook them up. I've had them since day 1 and I'm 99% sure they are reef safe.

I'd love to have one or two. You coming to the meeting tomorrow?

I'd love to have one or two. You coming to the meeting tomorrow?

No I won't be there, I'm leaving for a week and have lots to do this weekend to get ready.