Sea Horse Compadres

cyrus

Good call Brooks :) Hopefully you'll never need to know about it...

I am praying that I don't...

Kim, I need to ask your opinion --

My male is about to burst... again, and I'm thinking I should take him out of the main tank and put him in the fry set up. Good or bad idea?

Also, do you think I should mix the new born fry with the 3 and 4 week olds?

Well I can't give you any good advice on mixing the fry :hmm:. I've done a ton of research on rearing erectus fry, but don't quite remember any info on exactly that (it's been a year or so). I would search the forum at seahorse.org, you should certainly find info on it. Or post the question there.

If you can tell your male is about to burst, imho, I would take him out. You could probably wait until the morning though to reduce stress. Seahorses almost always (in my experience and what I've read) give birth at first light. Mine have always done this. They start twitching and acting funny like they have parasites soon after the lights turn on. I used that as my key to get him out and they always seem to burst with in minutes of being pulled out, then I put the male back. It saves so many fry from getting sucked into the filter, caught by mouths in your tank and lost in rock. Also, I feel like it reduces any damage to the fry from sucking them out with airline tubing or a turkey baster. What time did your male give birth last, just curious?

More babies...WOW :)

Well I can't give you any good advice on mixing the fry :hmm:. I've done a ton of research on rearing erectus fry, but don't quite remember any info on exactly that (it's been a year or so). I would search the forum at seahorse.org, you should certainly find info on it. Or post the question there.

If you can tell your male is about to burst, imho, I would take him out. You could probably wait until the morning though to reduce stress. Seahorses almost always (in my experience and what I've read) give birth at first light. Mine have always done this. They start twitching and acting funny like they have parasites soon after the lights turn on. I used that as my key to get him out and they always seem to burst with in minutes of being pulled out, then I put the male back. It saves so many fry from getting sucked into the filter, caught by mouths in your tank and lost in rock. Also, I feel like it reduces any damage to the fry from sucking them out with airline tubing or a turkey baster. What time did your male give birth last, just curious?

More babies...WOW :)

Got'cha. I thought I should take him out, too. And yes, you're correct! Most Seahorses will give birth at the first light. I will move him in the morning if I see him acting strange. My last two have given birth right around 7:00 AM.

cyrus, i think converting would be very very cool. as far as fish go, you want slow eaters, and you have to make sure they are disease free and completely clean. same with everything else which im sure you already know..

the cool thing about a 240g...is with the general rule of thumb of 7gal per horse...you could technically keep 34 horses..not saying you would want to but that would be really cool lol.

corals....acans, chalices, softies, polyps, mushrooms....some LPS? pretty much nothing THEY can kill like sps, and nothing that can kill them.

• 1 year later...

Archived