Sea Horse Compadres

cyrus

I am curious what corals, fish and inverts can be housed in a sea horse tank? Im assuming all agressive corals are out, as well as nems? What about sps? I know you can have:

Gobies

Clowns

Bangii

Marine Betta

I am considering converting my 240g.

Here are some great links (I hope it's okay to post them)

Corals: http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showtopic=17197&st=140

Tank Mates Guide: http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/tankmates/tankmates.shtml

In general, seahorse.org has tons of info on this subject. Great to just poke around on!

P.S. Clowns are actually not a good tank mate...

I forgot to mention, the deal with SPS is not so much whether they will sting or not, but more of different environmental needs. They generally need more flow, light, and temps way too high for seahorses.

Hi Cyrus!

ALMOST welcome to the Seahorse club! laugh.giflaugh.gif

You can keep many corals, however SPS are out. NOT because they will harm the Seahorses, but the SEAHORSES will harm them! They will use them as hitches and rip the tissue right off of them!

What I am doing is Chalices and Acans as well as some NPS in the near future.

Fish, what you listed above!

Actually this is my baby tank in my bedroom. You think this is good enough to start with brooks?

2011-02-05185022.jpg

This tank is normally crystal clear (cleaned the front for a quick pict), and the only thing that scrubbs it is macro. I took the filter out last week to clean it and and there was absolutely no build up! No skimmer on this one either.

That's probably best, and hey, any reason to fix up a new tank, right? ;) This way you can set it up specifically for the seahorses, and save yourself a lot of potential frustration, and unhappy clown fish or horses.

Hey Cyrus...I received your PM and I am waiting for 4 members, separately, to pick up seahorses...I may have some left and will let you know if anything falls through...I also have a friend that is closing hers down and I will aquire hers...she has 8, but I do not know if I will get any or all...will let you know for sure shortly...

Size is not a problem lol. I do wonder about the inpalement theory though? Unlikely considering the level of grace urchins have around my reef. Their spines are virtual sensors. Brooks have you had it happen or not riskin it?

Size is not a problem lol. I do wonder about the inpalement theory though? Unlikely considering the level of grace urchins have around my reef. Their spines are virtual sensors. Brooks have you had it happen or not riskin it?

I haven't had it happen. I figured it better not to risk it.

Sorry to keep sending you to another forum, but I got curious about your question and looked up some info on it. Here's the best discussion I could find dealing directly with long-spined urchins and seahorses as tank mates.

http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showtopic=13114&hl=long+spined+urchin

In my own experience, seahorses will sort of drift or swim all over every inch of the tank including wherever they can squeeze behind or under, and hitch to whatever they drift into. That being said I've had the unfortunate experience of having to stick a very sharp, tiny needle in a seahorse on a daily basis for a very long time, and their skin is *incredibly* difficult to penetrate. Incredibly. Especially the pouch. I never thought about the eyes. I wouldn't personally risk it though.

That being said I've had the unfortunate experience of having to stick a very sharp, tiny needle in a seahorse on a daily basis for a very long time, and their skin is *incredibly* difficult to penetrate.

Why?

Most likely pouch emphysema.