Seahorses got a new house!

cMidd

Love the pics!! Every time I see the larger sea horses I have to stop myself from setting up a second tank :)

On the red macro - I ordered three frags from ebay.

So far I'm very happy with the purchase, they were inexpensive, arrived healthy and have been surviving in my tank for 2+ weeks. These frags are small - but mine are already growing :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

guess it's been a really long time since i've updated at all...

but the horses got moved into a 50g long "seagrass mangrove" biotype, with an assortment of other macros. ditched the idea of corals with them, though there is a photosynthetic gorgonian. pics really don't do it justice, but i will update some anyway. lost one female a month or two back to a serious vibrio infection that ended up taking most her tail off by the end....so i am now looking to add a couple more to "complete" the tank. glad to be back

it looks great, just added a LOT of macro.

when the sand settles (planted my seagrass finally in the sand bed - had to culture a bunch of sand from a few tanks for months haha) i will snap a couple pics. be warned though, Par38 lighting HATES iphone cameras, ESPECIALLY since i keep my surface rockin for shimmer.

wow - so very very cool!! I love it! You just convinced me to definitely get some baby sea horses from Brooks and convert my 29 gallon into their new home :). If you have any extra shoal grass or manatee grass (not sure which I saw in the photos), I would be very interested in purchasing some from you. What kind of lights do you have on the tank? They look very bright. I've always been curious about the growing of sea grass with sea horses. The grasses need high light, but sources online say sea horses prefer lower light. Any insight into that topic would be awesome.

Thanks for finally sharing wink.gif

the manatee grass is short whip like grass, turtle grass is the taller thicker grass in the back. on the far left is fern caluerpa, in the back left, c. prolifera, in the middle is a. specifera in front of that is a halimeda species not sure which, right of that shaving brush, then the vine money plant, then the cactus caleurpa. whew. also some grape caluerpa in there too. the yellow whip gorgonia is brand new.

the lights are PAR38 LED spotlights. go for like 135$ish a peice just the bulb then i build the rigging they are on.

with a 29g, you should REALLY only have 2 h. erectus, even though i always had 4. :D

contrary to online beliefs, seahorses dont mind the light i dont think. in nature you find them with grasses that need great light, so why would they not like light in the tank? i think they need darker places to chill out of current, but light should not be a factor when setting up their tank, only the heat generated from the lights (pc, MH, T5)

Wow, that looks great! Thanks for sharing pictures. I bet your seahorses are in heaven in there. I don't usually like the spotlighting, but it works in there because the horses can get out of the light if they want but you can still have high-light grasses. Nice job!!

• 2 months later...

Hey - hows it going with the different sea grasses? It took forever, but my oar grass is finally growing in my 5 gallon. The turtle, manatee and shoal grasses are still taking a while to settle in. Do you supplement w/iron, magnesium, etc.? Have you found some to do better than others?

Would also love any pic updates you have :)

Oh - your third seahorse - what kind is she?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Update:

Livestock:: 4 H. Erectus, 1 spotted mandarin, 1 dragonface pipefish (wild, been on frozen mysis since 2 weeks after i got him...8+ months ago)

Lights:: ATI 48" near 20kish spectrum

(if you want other details just PM me.)

While i was away at the Air Force Academy playing football (christmas break/transfering now) the two tanks i have evolved and changed....a lot. Here is some pics of the seahorse tank (some of the zoa's are kinda upset right now).

Enjoy:)

• 1 month later...

Here is an update with garbage pictures.

yellow watchman/pistol shrimp added new years

IMG_5776.jpg

x4 chromis in there since my last update and yes i added an SPS it is doing fantastic...you can SEE the growth tip the white part, it has grown about 3" since i have added it (really EXPLODED)

IMG_7792.jpg

i'll add more pictures mid-late week on this tank...

here's a one of my 75g (lost all but 3 fish in a MASSIVE ich outbreak...GET A UV STERILIZER PEOPLE!)

jan 16th...tank almost 2 years old...crazy how time flies and things change.

IMG_1405.jpg

Archived