Potential Problem for a Blue Jaw trigger?

Goodfuga

I got a juvenille Blue Jaw Trigger a week ago and have had him in a QT tank since. The tank is a basic 10 gal with HOB filter and water params tested last night at 0ppm Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Temp is 78 and I keep the SG at 1.022. I do a 2 gal water change every week using changed water from my DT. He has been eating everything I put in there for him. I feed him 3 times a day alternating between Spectrum pellets, fresh shrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms and an occasional scallop, all of which I soak in Zoe marrine and ZoeCon with a drop of Garlic Guard. I have been careful not to over feed and he has definatley been warming up to me and is very active. The question i have is that I have noticed some white stuff on his top swimming fin and I am having a hard time deciding what it is. I dont know if it is just debri or something stuck on it or if it is something I should be concerned over. He isnt showing any signs of discomfort i.e. scratching or rubbing on anything, labored breathing, or other troublesome signs on his body. I am attaching a pic of him and will turn it over to the experts on the site. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

This is about the best pic I can get of him because he isnt one to sit still and pose.

post-1681-0-74708500-1292876941_thumb.jp

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it yet. Triggers are fairly bullet-proof as reef fish go, and my blue jaw would get detritus stuck in his slime coat from time to time that would always freak me out when I saw it. Keep an eye on it, and if it spreads, you can start looking seriously toward medications. Even if it IS ich (and I'm not convinced at this point), as long as he's eating well, he should be able to fight it off on his own.

My only suggestion would be to consider upping the QT to 20 or 30 gals if possible in the future - ten's a little small for such an active swimmer. However, moving him now might create more stress than it's worth.

Good luck!

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it yet. Triggers are fairly bullet-proof as reef fish go, and my blue jaw would get detritus stuck in his slime coat from time to time that would always freak me out when I saw it. Keep an eye on it, and if it spreads, you can start looking seriously toward medications. Even if it IS ich (and I'm not convinced at this point), as long as he's eating well, he should be able to fight it off on his own.

My only suggestion would be to consider upping the QT to 20 or 30 gals if possible in the future - ten's a little small for such an active swimmer. However, moving him now might create more stress than it's worth.

Good luck!

I appreciate it. I felt fairly certain it was no big deal but I wanted to be sure. I hate keeping him in the 10 gal but it is only going to be for another week or so if all goes well. He is the largest fish I am planning on putting into my DT so I didnt feel i needed anything larger than a 10 but I kinda wish i had got a bigger one. He is still small and the ten gal is definatley bigger than the box i rescued him from at the LFS :)