• Announcements

• JamesL

Can't Create A Post? Please Read.   01/18/2017

Finding that you can't create a post in a specific forum? Please see the membership changes that took effect in early 2012. You must be a Premium Member to post items in certain forums.
ACampbell

Featured Tank - Third Quarter - 2010

Mike M.    2

Thanks fellas, it came as quite a surprise! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Mark and Andrew dressed up my narrative and photos quite nicely and gave them the "pimped ride" on the web page!

Mike M.    2

Happy Holidays everybody! I had some time off from work to play around with my tank and I remembered that I had not updated my thread in quite some time. So anyway, no problems to report, the system is running pretty well under its current protocol. I have included some comparisons so you all can see how the tank has evolved.

Best regards,

Mike

June 2010

FTS_June.jpg

December 2010

FTS1.jpg

FTS_August.jpg

FTS5.jpg

FTS4.jpg

FTS3.jpg

FTS2.jpg

Mike M.    2

Strawberry Shortcake December 2010

Strawberry_Shortcake122010.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake June 2010

Strawberry_Shortcake082010.jpg

A. Sarmentosa December 2010

Sarmentosa122010.jpg

A. Sarmentosa August 2010

Sarmentosa082010.jpg

Mike M.    2

Purple Millie December 2010

PurpleMillie122010.jpg

Purple Millie June 2010

PurpleMillie062010.jpg

ORA Pearlberry December 2010

ORA_Pearlberry122010.jpg

ORA Pearlberry June 2010

ORA_Pearlberry062010.jpg

Purple Meridiana December 2010

Meridiana122010.jpg

Purple Meridiana August 2010

Meridiana082010.jpg

Mike M.    2

Maricultured Pink Millie December 2010

MariculturedPinkMillie122010.jpg

Maricultured Pink Millie June 2010

MariculturedPinkMillie062010.jpg

FHA Red Hot Lava Millie December 2010

HotLavaMillie122010.jpg

FHA Red Hot Lava Millie June 2010

HotLavaMillie062010.jpg

Mike M.    2

Thanks so much for taking a look. I took a gander at your photos and thought you have done nicely also. Maybe you should be next on TOTQ?

+GiddyORION    2

It's a shot in the dark but I really hope this tank is still going. Imagine the growth...

+FarmerTy    3,368

If I remember correctly, he had a crash and then got out. I remember buying coral frags from Mike back in the day. It was a great system. It was a prime example of the classic SPS tank, MH lights, 10k bulbs (yellowish), no sand, tons of flow, and I think he was running zeo but I can't remember. He had great growth and larger colonies. It was ultra low nutrient... So low that LPS wouldn't survive.

• Like 1

+GiddyORION    2

If I remember correctly, he had a crash and then got out. I remember buying coral frags from Mike back in the day. It was a great system. It was a prime example of the classic SPS tank, MH lights, 10k bulbs (yellowish), no sand, tons of flow, and I think he was running zeo but I can't remember. He had great growth and larger colonies. It was ultra low nutrient... So low that LPS wouldn't survive.

that's awesome. Ya its zeovit, and it's tanks like these that are inspiring me to take the plunge into the method.

+FarmerTy    3,368

You should talk to Rchavez. I think he's the only one in Austin that runs full zeo.

FWIW, Mike and Fishpets, who was another big SPS guy back in the day, both went to zeo and both sadly got out because of zeo. They both crashed their tanks with it. This was not immediate as they had success with it and had really nice tanks. Just eventually dosing that many bottles, you may just mess up one day and poof!

It can make your acros slightly prettier but could also bring down the house if used incorrectly.

Mike also got a lot of good growth because he would run 10k spectrum bulbs, ugly as all get out because it made everything yellow but it increased growth rate dramatically. Then once things got large quickly, I remember him transitioning back to a more normal spectrum of 14k.

All I remember seeing was his green and red favia colony had the skin stretched over the calcium skeleton and the flesh sunken in like crazy. He had removed so much nutrients with zeo and removing his sandbed that his LPS starved.

In its prime though, it was one of the best dedicated SPS tanks in town.